• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Definitely getting really thin out there. Hit an embedded rock on the second pitch of Sweet Revenge. Lots of twigs poking up there, too.

Well, I did get the entire Strawberry gondola cart all to myself for the first run -- I guess that's a tiny win. haha

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mlk super quiet at basin. Even more than the blackout days over xmas were. Seems they must have sold less of the full passes this year. Or maybe people are staying away from a resort known for its gondis during this latest wave.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mlk super quiet at basin. Even more than the blackout days over xmas were. Seems they must have sold less of the full passes this year. Or maybe people are staying away from a resort known for its gondis during this latest wave.

Solitude was really great on Saturday, due in no small part to the IKON blackout for anything other than the full pass. Never had to wait longer than 2 minutes in a lift queue all day.

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
There was for sure some great skiing on Saturday. Today was pretty good too. Plus with this current weather trend, there have been lots of opportunities to practice mogul skiing.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have always had this feeling that Utah skiers don’t think the skiing is any good unless it is snowing or has just snowed. It was so dead last week it happily reminded me of 10 years ago :).
Or maybe everyone just bought cheap epic passes this year although I don’t really believe that. Whatever it is, I don’t expect it to be so quiet once it snows again so enjoy it while we can.

Yesterday I toured up Cutler Ridge below Ben Lomond Peak. Posted in this thread…
Inspired by @Primoz l thought I would be adventurous today & go for a ski tour. I wasn’t expecting much for quality snow but hoped I may find the sun facing slopes corning up or some supportable wind slab or whatever, it couldn’t be all bad :huh: ?

Pluses:
Easy parking
A picture perfect weather day
Nice temperatures
No wind
Clear skies
Groomed XC trail for the initial approach
A well used & constructed skin track
Low avalanche danger
Not crowded

Minuses:
Ice crust
Wind crust
Sun crust
Frozen crust
Rain crust
Zipper crust
Breakable crust
It was a crust fest!

Photo dump…

The groomed approach. Little did I know that it would be some of the best skiing on my way out.
View attachment 155407

Short break as l got above the valley
View attachment 155408

Willard Peak. I’ve been eyeing the line on the right for almost 20 years. Glad I didn’t go there today.
View attachment 155409

Lunch break under Ben Lomond Peak
View attachment 155410

On some of the upper slopes the sun had melted the crust enough for a few pitches of decent turns
View attachment 155411

View attachment 155412

I got a little low on the final good pitch and had to skin back up to avoid getting cliffed out or bushwhacking down lower. The rest of the way back down was some of the worst backcountry crust conditions I have ever encountered. :eek::ogbiggrin::eek:
View attachment 155413

Glad to make it back to the car in one piece. Brings to mind the saying “ whatever doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger”!
View attachment 155414

Parting shot.
The X marks my high point. There was no point in going any higher as it looked even worse!
View attachment 155415

it took me an hour to get back to the car, much longer than I anticipated but I wanted to survive. Ended up taking the Luge style skin track for the bottom third.
View attachment 155416

EDIT: I forgot to mention rime crust

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, last week was nice. Bonus is it didn’t get all chewed up due to high traffic.

TS
P-Ute

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is anyone around to ski maybe Brighton or Alta on Wednesday morning for a few hours?
Let me know where and when and I will be there!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I only got on 4 pair of skis before I had to bail but the snow was nice and chalky. Carving skis were definitely the choice of the day.
@Andy Mink You'll be happy to know that Phil is taking over for your job of waving your hand in front of my face.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will be at Alta for a couple of hours this AM. I have to get back for an appointment in town.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like a decent chance at some dust on crust Thu night into mid-day Fri. Maybe a bit more if things come together. Hope so as we need to clear out the pollution + I'm getting bored skiing groomers at Pow Mow. Yes, I'm spoiled but I didn't choose to live here for the night life or great culinary scene, ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.