• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Looks like a decent chance at some dust on crust Thu night into mid-day Fri. Maybe a bit more if things come together. Hope so as we need to clear out the pollution + I'm getting bored skiing groomers at Pow Mow. Yes, I'm spoiled but I didn't choose to live here for the night life or great culinary scene, ya know?

Friday could be good. It was snowing lightly at AltaBird most of the day. Even a thick dusting will significantly improve things at the moment. An inch tonight and 4"-6" Thursday/Friday would make things quite..."fresh"...again.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To clarify, dust on crust in your world is 6" on top of a 5 foot base, right??

Heeeeee....

A couple weekends ago there was legit dust-on-crust at Park City. It had rained the previous day, followed by a quick mercury drop and around 3-6" of fresh, dry fluff on top. In some spots there was wind deposit as deep as 12-15" - really nice!

The locals groused that it was "ice." It was possible to plant a pole and set and edge, so it was decidedly not ice. This Utah native who has spent the past 29 years in the east was super happy to reap the rewards of lovely dust on some lovely crust.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Friday could be good. It was snowing lightly at AltaBird most of the day. Even a thick dusting will significantly improve things at the moment. An inch tonight and 4"-6" Thursday/Friday would make things quite..."fresh"...again.
I got there at around 11:00 and, at Alta, the very light snow started at around 2pm. I left just after 3 and it seemed to be increasing in intensity but not enough to accumulate much.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got there at around 11:00 and, at Alta, the very light snow started at around 2pm. I left just after 3 and it seemed to be increasing in intensity but not enough to accumulate much.
Damn. I was just leaving when you arrived.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Snow was surprisingly good. Light was pretty flat at times. Mx83s were perfect. Glad I was there.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
yesterday was one of the few times i wished i had skinnier skis than my Wildcat 101's . definitely felt icy to this jaded local
still got a couple hours of grooming in during late afternoon at Alta

2022 has been a disaster. bring the snow back please

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Merrill Bitter, a long-time local climbing legend, was found dead in the Grizzly Gulch area near Wolverine Bowl this morning. He'd been out on a solo ski tour the day before and never returned home. Was a super nice guy and had a tremendous amount of climbing ability.

Merrill in his element in lower LCC.
imgcache.php

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier

Friday was great at Alta, was the best "dust on crust" I have ever skied. Even Thursday at Snowbird was pretty good by my low Midwest standards, found plenty of chalky snow and things were soft in mineral basin where it was groomed.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Snowbird for the first time this season today 1/22/22. Was only there from 130 to 4PM. Quite a few people on the mtn and lots of cars all over the place. Saw Bob Mc along the bypass, but no time to say hello. My son in black wanted me to follow him down this (Great Scott). I said, nope, I'll take Big Emma:rolleyes:

great scott gnarly.jpg
It was sketchier than it looks in photo.

Nice skiing in Little Cloud Bowl!
little cloud jan 22, 2022.jpg

Attachments

• great scott sketchy.jpg
    great scott sketchy.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 8

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Yesterday at Pow Mow was the foggiest I’ve ever experienced there, kicking myself for not going to Snowbasin where it appeared the sun was out at least much of the day.
Today made up for it with stellar weather & light crowds…
4A3783BA-CA17-48CE-83CD-9B94DD7B2B1C.jpeg

F74F5EA5-178E-4D5D-BF0B-B20D471E79A6.jpeg

313C20D8-E863-4F5E-A3A0-8B52EC2B994F.jpeg

ss20

Skier
Friday was great at Alta, was the best "dust on crust" I have ever skied. Even Thursday at Snowbird was pretty good by my low Midwest standards, found plenty of chalky snow and things were soft in mineral basin where it was groomed.

Yeah the snow that did fell was super light fluff that fell evenly across the mountain. Just needed 2 more feet of it :roflmao:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah the snow that did fell was super light fluff that fell evenly across the mountain. Just needed 2 more feet of it :roflmao:
I just got back from 2 weeks out there. Friday at Alta was pretty great given almost the whole time I was there it didn't snow. Extrovert was fantastic. It must have received blower snow too, because lookers right had at least 6-10 inches in some places. I lapped it 10 times. Still found untouched stuff at 12:00, off trail near a "lake" which I couldn't believe. The whole day was great.

Skied all the cottonwoods, Park City and Snowbasin. Had never been to PC or Snowbasin before. Won't go back to park city again. Snowbasin was wonderful and hope to return.

The best skiing during the high pressure/no snow time I was there was Snowbird though. It maintained good conditions almost the whole period.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
23 Jan 2022 was a nice day at Snowbird. Smaller crowds than the day before and temp a few degrees warmer, maybe 20-something on the mtn, bright sunshine.
A couple from Mineral Basin:
boarder snowbird 23 jan 2022.jpg
timp.jpg

Little Cloud Bowl:
little cloud bowl 23 jan 2022.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sunday was surprisingly light on crowds at Snowbasin, it actually felt more crowded on the previous Tuesday we were there for an industry show. We did run into @AmyPJ but we were skiing with Henri Rivers, Ellen Miller, Mark Williams and Lauren Samuels and a few others from the NBS community. tempImageQtjyJU.png tempImagegqONmc.png tempImageFYInWV.jpg tempImagequQRU7.png tempImage2knLL2.png tempImageWYIOa8.png tempImageDWdqlU.png tempImageGX6sOb.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday was surprisingly light on crowds at Snowbasin, it actually felt more crowded on the previous Tuesday we were there for an industry show. We did run into @AmyPJ but we were skiing with Henri Rivers, Ellen Miller, Mark Williams and Lauren Samuels and a few others from the NBS community. View attachment 156600 View attachment 156601 View attachment 156602 View attachment 156603 View attachment 156604 View attachment 156605 View attachment 156606 View attachment 156607
@utskier almost stole those Siderals.
Did you ski from the tram to the men's start and down? I've heard it's a rocky pig up there so won't even go there.
Did you get the steak sandwich at JP? Freakin' delicious!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@utskier almost stole those Siderals.
Did you ski from the tram to the men's start and down? I've heard it's a rocky pig up there so won't even go there.
Did you get the steak sandwich at JP? Freakin' delicious!
Glad he didn't.
Walked that, I witnessed edges being pulled out
Was not a total fan of the stesak sandwich, we thought the meatballs were better.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Great snow over the weekend at Alta . Spring skiing in January wont make for a long season however.

Chartruese off Sugarloaf - good sized moguls with soft snow is always a blast
IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
Trees off Supreme were skiing great . spent 3 hours on Saturday on this chair
scoping the run
IMG_3521.PNG
jumping in
IMG_3523.PNG

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great snow over the weekend at Alta . Spring skiing in January wont make for a long season however.

Chartruese off Sugarloaf - good sized moguls with soft snow is always a blast

Trees off Supreme were skiing great . spent 3 hours on Saturday on this chair
scoping the run

jumping in
Love those Supreme and Sugarloaf Trees. Friday started Sugarloaf with soft 4-8 inches and ended in the trees the second half of the day.

ss20

Skier
Tomorrow could be sneaky. No snow forecasted yesterday, an inch forecasted this morning, now 2" expected overnight. Already flurries on the Snowbird webcam, way ahead of the expected start time. I would take 3" of dry fluff like last "storm" on a dead-quiet Tuesday with 90% of terrain open.

Status
Not open for further replies.