• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Well Alta lots open at 8am. Depending on traffic getting into the canyon around 7-7:30 should be fine. Unless it's full blown shitshow and the road is closed for avy control, then all bets are off.

So jealous....

Last time we got a foot+ storm a week ago the parking lots never filled and the road was just running wet. I'd expect just a wet road this time around as well. The bare ground is too warm to hold snow. I am 95% sure there won't be an avi closure unless we get 3ft. I think 7am canyon is overkill. I'll be at the mouth 8am Friday and Saturday. The tourists are all gone and the locals have used up their Ikon days.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Already some flurries on the Snowbird cam. Very healthy looking radar. Expecting 13" hoping for 30"!!!
Storm looking to be a dud so far :(

My fear is it didn't get cold enough to deliver? Looks like rain at the base of Alta right now.

And you can blame me for this. I had a smug, shit eating grin in my face for days thinking I was getting an uncrowded deep late season pow day. And mother nature needed to make sure to put me in my place. If this is a dud you can put this one on me guys. Sorry.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sneaky good day of skiing at Solitude this afternoon after work. Very small crowd on the mountain and the entire resort was coated with many inches of high-density snow, making for non-stop fun everywhere. There were two lightning holds while I was there, perhaps more earlier in the day. It was not an easy task staying dry while riding the lifts and visibility was sometimes a challenge but the snow was a blast!

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Nice...thinking about going up to Solitude tomorrow morning. Have not been up there in +32 years. Gotta pay the $20 parking, I suppose.

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
I have a question about next season: I'm thinking of a trip to Utah (some combination of Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton) the last week of March. Looking back at this thread (around page 55 or so), it seems like the last week of March this year was very warm; some of the words used to describe the snow were "grabby," "slush," "sticky," "slop," "fun spring skiing," and "dirt patches." Was that a complete fluke? Put another way, what is the last week of March typically like?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a question about next season: I'm thinking of a trip to Utah (some combination of Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton) the last week of March. Looking back at this thread (around page 55 or so), it seems like the last week of March this year was very warm; some of the words used to describe the snow were "grabby," "slush," "sticky," "slop," "fun spring skiing," and "dirt patches." Was that a complete fluke? Put another way, what is the last week of March typically like?
Hopefully, other long time locals will chime in.
But from my experience in the last few years it's usually pretty good and can be full on winter conditions. However, that is late enough in the season to get slushy conditions too, even up in the Cottonwoods. Nice thing though is that crowds will be much lower than in Feb or early March and all terrain/lifts should still be open. Often at that time conditions will be "not quite spring" and firm in the AM. However, Mineral Basin can be very useful at that time as it will soften first for good AM skiing, then you transition to front side of mtn for good PM skiing.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow totals for the CC resorts from the Fri. - Sun. storm, as reported by Ski Utah:
Alta 31"
Snowbird 29"
Brighton 28"
Solitude 26"

Today was Brighton's closing day. Judging from what I observed from several higher elevation locations at Solitude and from what late arrivers at Brighton who ended up at Solitude told me, it appeared/sounded like Brighton could have filled their main parking lot at least four times over with the tremendous volume of vehicles that attempted/expected to park there. The roadside parking along the upbound lane between Soli and Brighton was parked solid down to within about 10 cars of the entrance to the Wasatch National Forest Redman Campground entrance road. That's about a 1.9 mile walk uphill to the Brighton Center ticket office for the occupants of the last vehicle on that side of the road. The roadside parking along the down bound lane of the canyon road was parked solid about 95% of the way to said campground entrance from the Guardsman's Pass road. Guardsman's Pass road was roadside parked about 75% of the way from the turnoff from BCC up to the first hairpin curve. That's in addition to all the parking at the Brighton General Store, the overflow parking across the road from it, the parking at the Solitude Nordic Center (which closed one week ago), parking at the various homeowners' properties along the Brighton loop who clear copious amounts of snow every weekend and holiday to make room for cars to park (for $40 per car - cash payment only), parking along the loop (always some legal and some illegal) and all the vehicles that ended up parking in Solitude's car parks or roadside near Solitude.

As @LuliTheYounger reported above, another day of extraordinary conditions on the slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online