• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Be the 3rd straight summer the Bird nixed lift served Mountain biking . oh zee joy

When I lived in SLC there wasn't any lift-served mountain biking in either Cottonwood canyon. You had to flat-out earn that descent the old-fashioned way. Of course, back then there weren't any long-travel full-suspension freeriding rigs - only hardtails and you might've been lucky/rich enough to have original Rock Shock, Manitou, or Scott suspension forks (or a Girvin Flexstem if you were an outlier).

And yes, I do miss those times. I still like working by butt off to reap the reward with a fun descent.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Huge storm for the drought here. 1"-3" down in the valley across the front. Even more in the mountains... believe it said Snowbasin got 4.3" of liquid. 2.4" liquid and 16" of snow at Alta! This puts SLC at average precipitation for the month of May, first time that's happened since December.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Huge storm for the drought here. 1"-3" down in the valley across the front. Even more in the mountains... believe it said Snowbasin got 4.3" of liquid. 2.4" liquid and 16" of snow at Alta! This puts SLC at average precipitation for the month of May, first time that's happened since December.

Now they only need... [checks notes]... 20ish consecutive months of this and it'll start scratching the surface of righting the water supply ship!

Eep.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We were camping in a yurt over the weekend and holy moly it rained like a good old PNW soaker! We were hoping to get 3 rides in but only squeezed in 1 short one.
The yurts were cool, though, and for a fat biker/cross country skier/snowshoer they’d be fun in the winter.
7C18A3DA-390F-47CA-92B5-23D48ADB8E79.jpeg F709EF03-78D3-45EE-ACFB-169E5016BAB1.jpeg 5E834745-2E44-47C2-8C8E-BBC30F90017B.jpeg

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
One last skin up Alta on Saturday . things are thinning out , really bad at the base . still quite a bit of dirty snow up high
IMG_1737.JPG
the traverse is about done
IMG_1739.JPG
Avy dog was living his best life ever - he sure was having fun
IMG_E1749.JPG
the skiing was suprisingly good , for a hot june day .
Finished off the season with 80 days.
Until next year Alta!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not stoke but worth a read. Salt Lake Tribune has been covering this well lately but New York Tines article is also a good read on what could be a catastrophic situation for SLC.

As the Great Salt Lake Dries Up, Utah Faces An ‘Environmental Nuclear Bomb’ https://nyti.ms/3xa2Acp

I just came here to post that article. Depressing to say the least.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just came here to post that article. Depressing to say the least.

Depressing but not the least bit surprising. I don't want to get into the politics of it all (it's why I left Utah and why I likely will not return) but it is infuriating that the state's leaders refuse to take the bold step and put the environment and people ahead of the almighty dollar.

Why are there non-native grass lawns everywhere in the Great Salt Lake watershed?

Why is the boondoggle of an "inland port" rolling full steam ahead?

Why do all too many elected leaders in Utah pass the blame to everyone but themselves in selling off the water that should be replenishing the lake?

Ooof.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Depressing but not the least bit surprising. I don't want to get into the politics of it all (it's why I left Utah and why I likely will not return) but it is infuriating that the state's leaders refuse to take the bold step and put the environment and people ahead of the almighty dollar.

Why are there non-native grass lawns everywhere in the Great Salt Lake watershed?

Why do all too many elected leaders in Utah pass the blame to everyone but themselves in selling off the water that should be replenishing the lake?

Ooof.
All of this while I am not allowed to have my dog in my car while in the LCC....Because she may pee or poop in the wrong place and impact the watershed.
^^^Which, BTW I respect and obey.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier

Ooof.

Agreed. I've been thinking about an exodus myself.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Agreed. I've been thinking about an exodus myself.
That exodus may be forced on many of us, unfortunately, given the water situation. Regardless of the water situation, I can see myself wanting to leave if the population explosion continues. I don't enjoy the outdoors if there are too many people, traffic, lack of parking, etc.

The water situation is looking dire though. I think it's difficult for people to believe/understand/comprehend just how precarious things really are unfortunately.

And @Tricia , there are very good reasons dogs are not allowed in the Cottonwood Canyons. Don't minimize that just because we are facing some big problems.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My husband is in southern UT now doing geology fieldwork. I used to go there every summer with him for years. The Paria River (shown below) used to be full of water in June. In fact, it never really ran dry during the summer; there was always water. Now, in early June, it’s completely dry:

B71847E1-5C0D-4159-924E-0BC4F09FEA91.jpeg

Soil moisture content is a better indicator than snowfall in projecting drought and it’s WAY below normal. So it would take a lot of above average snowfall seasons to make up the deficit. :nono: Even typical arid plants like sage, Mormon tea and Juniper are stressed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And @Tricia , there are very good reasons dogs are not allowed in the Cottonwood Canyons. Don't minimize that just because we are facing some big problems.
I'm not minimizing it at all. I respect it. I'm just baffled that there are so many other things left undone.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Solitude Future Plans

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Solitude Future Plans
I‘ ve never skied there, and it’s one place I’d like to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online