• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like this belongs in the "you can't make this up" thread.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It has been quite wet. With additional monsoons coming later in the week and continuing for the foreseeable future, Alta will more than likely shockingly finish its water year above average. Utah, as a whole, is looking in good shape with many places at 90-100% of normal for precipitation for the whole water year. The Bear River, the main feed to the Great Salt Lake, is flowing way above average for the first time the entire year. Our southern neighbors looking even better with significant drought improvements in Arizona and New Mexico. Even rain coming in SoCal and Nevada. Keep them coming.

Things looking much better than last summer and the grave predictions from the low snowfall we had over the winter did not turn out. Of course we'll need a good winter to really turn things around but this summer has been more than OK.

skifishbum

Getting off the lift
Skier
It has been quite wet. With additional monsoons coming later in the week and continuing for the foreseeable future, Alta will more than likely shockingly finish its water year above average. Utah, as a whole, is looking in good shape with many places at 90-100% of normal for precipitation for the whole water year. The Bear River, the main feed to the Great Salt Lake, is flowing way above average for the first time the entire year. Our southern neighbors looking even better with significant drought improvements in Arizona and New Mexico. Even rain coming in SoCal and Nevada. Keep them coming.

Things looking much better than last summer and the grave predictions from the low snowfall we had over the winter did not turn out. Of course we'll need a good winter to really turn things around but this summer has been more than OK.
id go with not as bad as it could be vrs lookin good
https://water.utah.gov/reservoirlevels/
the souths still hurting
centrals not much better
yubas toasted @ 6%
gonna take more than 1 or 2 year of above average snowfall precip to bring levels back up to "lookin good"
i was rather surprised and stoked to see that much water in the bear yesterday, as im sure the duck n geese whackers are
20220807_154703.jpg

20220807_154256.jpg

20220807_154436.jpg

stoked they finally found fundage to meter secondary water
still waiting for mine

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Bear River, the main feed to the Great Salt Lake, is flowing way above average for the first time the entire year.

Yet it still isn't reaching the lake, proper - it peters out a few miles before the lake due to the thirsty ground and due to irrigation diversion. So while it's better, it's far from good. The Great Salt Lake isn't refilling at a rate fast enough to even slow its evaporative decline.

This drought is a multi-year issue that will take multiple above-average precipitation years combined with less wasteful water use to overcome.

skifishbum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yet it still isn't reaching the lake, proper - it peters out a few miles before the lake due to the thirsty ground and due to irrigation diversion. So while it's better, it's far from good. The Great Salt Lake isn't refilling at a rate fast enough to even slow its evaporative decline.

This drought is a multi-year issue that will take multiple above-average precipitation years combined with less wasteful water use to overcome.
im not sure what source youre pulling that tidbit of misinformation from
but i spend a bit of time in the bear river waterfowl refuge and it was created and managed to prevent that those pictures are about 8 miles from where it feeds into the gsl
and the river has never ran dry or "petered out"

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got my 2022 Notice of property valuation & tax changes for my Weber county property. All I can say is “YIKES” :eek:!!!
Property owners in Heber received notices of massive valuation increases too. But when the bills came out, most owners actual taxes only went up by about 3%. Some went down. They adjusted the tax rates to offset most of value increases. The increase in home sales has provided a boost to property tax revenue making big increases unnecessary. And fortunately we’ve elected people who are fiscally responsible.

Hopefully they’ll do the same thing in your county.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
im not sure what source youre pulling that tidbit of misinformation from

A couple of hydrologists who consult with the State of Utah Department of Environmental Quality and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management did surveys of the river via helicopter last week and found that the river flow never formally made its way into the lake. A friend who was on the same helicopter flights shared their findings with me.

The Bear River Wildlife Refuge is marshland adjacent to the GSL but unless the water then makes its way to the lake, proper, it's not getting all the way there. Right now there is a break of at least two miles between the marsh and the lakebed. In normal river flow times there is enough water to make its way through the marsh to the lake - not the case this year, per the hydrologists. And they don't want to dredge a channel between the marsh and the GSL lest it damage the ecosystem of the marsh, which is critical wetland for many species of birds.

So while there is more water in the watershed right now, very little of it is making the full journey to the Great Salt Lake. And in the case of the Bear River, it's still not making it all the way there.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
A couple of hydrologists who consult with the State of Utah Department of Environmental Quality and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management did surveys of the river via helicopter last week and found that the river flow never formally made its way into the lake. A friend who was on the same helicopter flights shared their findings with me.

The Bear River Wildlife Refuge is marshland adjacent to the GSL but unless the water then makes its way to the lake, proper, it's not getting all the way there. Right now there is a break of at least two miles between the marsh and the lakebed. In normal river flow times there is enough water to make its way through the marsh to the lake - not the case this year, per the hydrologists. And they don't want to dredge a channel between the marsh and the GSL lest it damage the ecosystem of the marsh, which is critical wetland for many species of birds.

So while there is more water in the watershed right now, very little of it is making the full journey to the Great Salt Lake. And in the case of the Bear River, it's still not making it all the way there.

Water flowing down the Jordan River no longer reaches the current shoreline of the receding GSL either, according to the content of this story about a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Utah, his research, and resultant concerns.

skifishbum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting, I think were kinda arguing the rivers terminus into north and south bay in the refuge which along with the willard spur feed bear bay and whether these wetlands now drain into a record low gsl elevation
a general pin drop on goggle maps would help me understand where it is your talking about
there is a public year round launch/ramp just downstream from the gates/ locks that splits the river into a n and s fk that feed the respective bays
The south has a series of ramps and access to the bay that are only open during hunting season
so if what your saying is true and there is no longer access to the bay from the river
this is going to be hudge news to a lot of hunters
but im dubious of the historic river flows and data to support that part
i dont think there is a gauge in the refuge
Closest usgs gauge i use and pull data from is @ Corinne and historically looks like 04 had less flow/water
seems like theyre releasing a bit of water out of cutler currently and its at 70% still and above that Oneida is still 97% full
this isnt a freestone river theres a lot of reservoirs and water moving parts and is managed by several states and the bear river compact
http://www.bearriverbasin.org/rivers/rivers/
The math of the river flowing 2x its mean and 5x the median above normal for aug with the Reeder canal outflow shut off and drying
20220810_060319.jpg

and not reaching the bay isnt adding up
it seems more of a shrinking great salt lake/ wetlands elavation problem than a historic river flow issue youre claiming
as my eyes and real time flow data suggest
but maybe im missing something not really my area of expertise

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
That would be great but my past dealings leave me skeptical :huh:
It's a function of the budget and your appreciation relative to others in your city/county. If budget is flat and everyone's percentage value increase equally then property taxes are flat for everyone.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Property owners in Heber received notices of massive valuation increases too. But when the bills came out, most owners actual taxes only went up by about 3%. Some went down. They adjusted the tax rates to offset most of value increases. The increase in home sales has provided a boost to property tax revenue making big increases unnecessary. And fortunately we’ve elected people who are fiscally responsible.

Hopefully they’ll do the same thing in your county.
Heber also raised property taxes 3 or so years ago, with a large portion to cover the cost for new school buildings. That prior tax increase combined with the significant increase in the tax base (substantially more new homes) has enabled more moderate growth in taxes the past few years. I haven't kept up with the local politics there lately. Hopefully the new mayor is doing a good job, she more or less got elected as residents were angry about the level of growth and development that has occurred in the last several years there.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'd agree with you, especially with how Weber County has treated the valley in the past.
We are their cash cow!
They literally burned me out of $1000’s when I first moved there. I hold a grudge :nono:!!!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Dave7117

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Alta/Snowbird or Brighton/Solitude or Snowbasin for skiing ? Where should I go this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online