• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have had the first snow on the Wasatch 8/19/21, so it must be time to start the 2021-2022 Utah thread.
Let the Stoke Begin!
1629753176043.jpeg

Been a hot and smoky summer here, but the almost 4 inches of rain at my home last week has let me know that summer is almost gone, and it is time to finish plans for the upcoming ski season. Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again, on the slopes or après ski!

The most important purchase question this season for me is which quiver to expand, skis or ski pass? Leaning towards an Indy Pass would like to add Powder Mountain, Beaver Mountain and Eagle Point to my list of places skied.

Here are some pics from last years thread to help with building the stoke!

1629754107632.jpeg

1629753841301.png

May 16, 2021 - Closing Day at Snowbird
1629753698704.png
Special thanks to @4ster, @jmills115 and @Jim Kenney for their incredible contributions to last years Utah thread. Thanks to everyone else too!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I looked at that first photo and said “Man that looks like something I would do.” Then I realized I did ogwink
I laughed at the second pic then bowed my head after realizing it was me.
@P-Ute In a deal with mrsjmills I gave up the Alta pass tor preferred parking at the Bird. She will be busy listening to my requests for the Gold Passes this season and wish she would have encouraged my keeping Altabird and adding parking.
i vote you add skis and another pass

8/22/2021 at Alta from the top of Extrovert
FD932E55-AB6B-4969-9A25-EF1AF22BF332.jpeg
That reminds me I should I should tell her about the Mad Russian skis I have added.
63558A87-C58E-4BEE-9A6C-8844EE522F83.jpeg

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hi all,

I'm moving to Utah this fall from Connecticut. I can't wait to ski the "real mountains". I'm so stoked to see this thread pop-up! I hope you're all excited to answer really basic questions about the skiing where you guys are. I have around 20 days lifetime "out west" so I'm totally green.

Also...even though I'm moving a world-away, so funny to see your post about Mad Russian skis, @jmills115 . I ran into him (Mishka, iirc) by chance at Magic Mountain, VT 4 or 5 years ago! He was so cool....nice guy and let me try a couple of his skis which were AWESOME! Had a super fun day at Magic...a few inches of snow and most of the mountain in play. I had no idea his skis beat me to Utah! I haven't seen him much at all anymore on our Northeast ski forum Alpinezone, good to see he's still making skis!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all,

I'm moving to Utah this fall from Connecticut. I can't wait to ski the "real mountains". I'm so stoked to see this thread pop-up! I hope you're all excited to answer really basic questions about the skiing where you guys are. I have around 20 days lifetime "out west" so I'm totally green.

Also...even though I'm moving a world-away, so funny to see your post about Mad Russian skis, @jmills115 . I ran into him (Mishka, iirc) by chance at Magic Mountain, VT 4 or 5 years ago! He was so cool....nice guy and let me try a couple of his skis which were AWESOME! Had a super fun day at Magic...a few inches of snow and most of the mountain in play. I had no idea his skis beat me to Utah! I haven't seen him much at all anymore on our Northeast ski forum Alpinezone, good to see he's still making skis!
You mean @mishka

He decided to leave a ski at Brighton a few years ago and I helped get it back to him. The next season we met and skied together when he was in Utah.
DAC64881-AFFF-44CE-9F5D-F487D6F9DA6D.jpeg

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
anyone been to Oktoberfest at the Bird? I'm wondering if the tram is running? got my folks rolling in next week. thanks

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
anyone been to Oktoberfest at the Bird? I'm wondering if the tram is running? got my folks rolling in next week. thanks
I was up at the Bird on 9/7 and the tram and the Peruvian chair were running. That was the Tuesday after Labor Day so no Oktoberfest that day. I was also up at the Bird the first weekend of Oktoberfest and both lifts were operating. The only time I've ever been to Oktoberfest when the tram and Peruvian chair weren't running was a few years ago after both were struck by lightning within minutes of each other during a very intense storm and were down for repairs.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
@P-Ute I will be back Skiing Alta and Snowbird Feb 16-21. Bringing the family this time for their first Utah ski trip. Will be loading up on POW skis in hopes of a massive Snow week with an Interlodge event like the last time I stayed at GMD :) Hoping you will be able to join us for a couple laps!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This might be a dumb question. How are the bugs in Park City this time of year? Any such mosquitoes? And I mean real mosquitoes, not that crap they down South. :)
I'm guessing with lows in the 30s, not much.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This might be a dumb question. How are the bugs in Park City this time of year? Any such mosquitoes? And I mean real mosquitoes, not that crap they down South. :)
I'm guessing with lows in the 30s, not much.
There have been more than usual mosquitos in the salt lake valley early this fall with several cases of virus.

https://www.ksl.com/article/5023666...st-nile-virus-record-number-of-mosquito-pools

But seem to be calming down in the last week or so at least locally in Davis County. Article also mentions virus detected in summit country (e.g. Park City).

I wouldn't expect prevalent mosquitos like huge swarms, but if you hang out on the patio after dinner expect a few bites - until we have had some really hard freezes.

gardenmary

Late-in-life ski bum
Skier
Big Plans for Snowbasin announced.
It's been in the works for a while, but was back-burnered after Earl Holding died and as the company realized that Sun Valley's lodges were desperately in need of renos (same owner). Capital was diverted to Sun Valley first. I love this mountain, but it sure is going to change the whole feel.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Less parking in the upper lot for phase I and no parking lot for phase II plus a 300 room hotel to be run by Club Med. I wonder what type of clientele the Club Med will attract? People who like fancy drinks with umbrellas in them?

The full buildout kind of looks like Beaver Creek village without the ice rink. There goes the neighborhood.

If it must happen, I hope it happens quickly and does not become a permanent construction site like many other resorts.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Less parking in the upper lot, and a 300 room hotel to be run by Club Med. I wonder what type of clientele the Club Med will attract? People who like fancy drinks with umbrellas in them?
If there is a ski-up bar it could grow on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor