• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Decided to go to Oktoberfest at Snowbird yesterday. Apparently so did half of SLC. :) Got a late start up so never stopped, but views where nice. I didn't get any pics since we never stopped. My wife too this one at Alta. One more day in PC and off to Reno.

I see why people are moving to SLC. Now if housing wasn't off the charts.

1633358372051.png

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
well they went ahead and did it. Flattened out Nina's curve and Schuss gulley at Alta under Collins lift. just what we need is more novices on the good side of the mountain
IMG_1324.JPG
i blame IKON

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Decided to go to Oktoberfest at Snowbird yesterday. Apparently so did half of SLC. :) Got a late start up so never stopped, but views where nice. I didn't get any pics since we never stopped. My wife too this one at Alta. One more day in PC and off to Reno.

crowds have been out of control up at Oktoberfest! saw some guy pass out in the line for the tram last weekend. was an hour wait to get on it . not sure how he drank so much since the beer lines were crazy as well

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You think SLC is nice? Wait till you you get to Reno. But our housing is crazy too. :(

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
crowds have been out of control up at Oktoberfest! saw some guy pass out in the line for the tram last weekend. was an hour wait to get on it . not sure how he drank so much since the beer lines were crazy as well
Even in off season. Yikes.
well they went ahead and did it. Flattened out Nina's curve and Schuss gulley at Alta under Collins lift. just what we need is more novices on the good side of the mountain
View attachment 143982
i blame IKON
Why is the hill so shiny?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Welp! There goes the neighborhood @jmills115

I mistakenly thought they were going to prioritize bus parking. Nope. Somebody is probably happy about this. That person ain't me. Damn. This article is from May but I was just alerted about the plans. Ouch.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Damn. This is horrible. What the hell Alta!! We kept wondering this summer what the hell they were doing there. And they are also actively campaigning for the gondola as well. Ugh

Project Summary and Resource Determination Form – Corkscrew/Nina’s Ski Run Improvements
2.0 Project Summary Purpose and Need:
Skier visits to Alta Ski Area (ASL) have increased to the levels experienced in early ‘90s, which has increased skier
congestion and reduced skier safety in the Corkscrew area. ASL is seeing a change in skier demographics, with more
seniors and intermediate-level skiers on the slopes.
One of the most common complaints ASL receives from skiers is
that the current congestion in Corkscrew makes them uncomfortable and is unsafe
. Consequently, many of our senior
skiers and families are moving away from the Collin’s side of mountain, creating an imbalance of skier traffic in the ski
area.
Proposed Action:
To accommodate a proportional share of skier visits on the Collin’s side of the ski area and address congestion and
safety concerns, ASL proposes completing the Corkscrew project (original decision signed in 2014) and improving an
additional intermediate exit by combining Nina’s Curve and Schuss Gully into one run.

Uh . . . ok? Will be interesting, and probably a bit saddening and disappointing, to see this area this season. I'm not sure it will achieve the intended goal though - I mean you could already rocket BOMB through there to get back to Collins or Wildcat base.

More from the decision memo: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/114594_FSPLT3_5605678.pdf
Source: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=58947&exp=overview

Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
its like if you couldn't handle the run out at the bottom of Collins chair you don't belong on that side of the mountain .
Bringing additional slow traffic to this area is completely idiotic. and taking away some awesome terrain is even more ridiculous

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another news article about traffic in BCC and LCC. I cycle both canyons and have for decades but the amount of cars in the canyons this past weekend was powder-day like!

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
Hello all - I am new to this forum, so if this isn't the right place to ask- definitely let me know. (or if there are other forums that are better for random specific resort question, feel free to direct me there.
We are making our first trip out west (we live in NC) and will be staying and skiing at Deer Valley.
We are relatively new skiiers - so likely stick to the greens (with the wife) and easier blues.
A couple of questions
1. I am trying to figure out the map - the run Woodside- which direction does it go? From Webster to the Northside express - or vice versa? (I think it goes towards webster) - just trying to figure out if we go up lady morgan, how do we get back to our base at silver lake -
2. Same question with Banner - does it run towards the silver lake lodge or away?
3. The Silver Lake express lift - does it go both ways? (used to transfer skiiers from one base to the other - not necessarily up any mountain?
4. What blue runs tend to be the best as a next step up from the greens?

thanks in advance all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online