• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all - I am new to this forum, so if this isn't the right place to ask- definitely let me know. (or if there are other forums that are better for random specific resort question, feel free to direct me there.
We are making our first trip out west (we live in NC) and will be staying and skiing at Deer Valley.
We are relatively new skiiers - so likely stick to the greens (with the wife) and easier blues.
A couple of questions
1. I am trying to figure out the map - the run Woodside- which direction does it go? From Webster to the Northside express - or vice versa? (I think it goes towards webster) - just trying to figure out if we go up lady morgan, how do we get back to our base at silver lake -
2. Same question with Banner - does it run towards the silver lake lodge or away?
3. The Silver Lake express lift - does it go both ways? (used to transfer skiiers from one base to the other - not necessarily up any mountain?
4. What blue runs tend to be the best as a next step up from the greens?

thanks in advance all
Welcome.

I think woodside goes towards base of lady morgan.

banner goes from silver strike base to silver lake area.

Yes, I think you are correct silver lake express goes bothways. nearby homestead chair also takes you up from silver lake area to return to snow park lodge base.

I think the blues off little baldy and silver lake chairs are easier than the ones off bald and flagstaff mtns. the blues up on empire are quite scenic.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another news article about traffic in BCC and LCC. I cycle both canyons and have for decades but the amount of cars in the canyons this past weekend was powder-day like!

This is the view is from a bike ride in summer of 2020 coming down BCC at the big pinch in the road nearing the base of the canyon. You can only get this view on foot/bike as there is no place for a car to stop it's so tight. Everything up and down canyon has to go through this narrow two lane section.
bcc pinch.jpg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ikon has some 3d maps for their resorts including deer valley. Kinda klunky to manipulate, but Show the lay of the land much better than a normal trail map.

Could also use Google earth.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
its like if you couldn't handle the run out at the bottom of Collins chair you don't belong on that side of the mountain .
Bringing additional slow traffic to this area is completely idiotic. and taking away some awesome terrain is even more ridiculous
I'm not sure I'd say they're "taking away some awesome terrain". I don't know Alta that well, but the few days I've had there, the easier part of the the blue run under Collins was crowded, and the black slopes next to it over to Collins face didn't seem to be terrain anyone wanted to ski too much... pretty empty, when I skied the stuff over to Collins face. I don't know if I skied the exact area in question though. It's just the highlghted area here I think, right?

1633655842124.png

That said... much like with roadways, widening or adding to try to relieve congestion is often a temporary fix, depending on the particular situation. Because better access or less traffic leads more people to go there. And then with more people, you're right back where you started, but with larger traffic jams.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ikon has some 3d maps for their resorts including deer valley. Kinda klunky to manipulate, but Show the lay of the land much better than a normal trail map.

Could also use Google earth.
FATMAP.com is great for this kind of stuff... also 3D maps that you can move all around, for almost every ski resort. (Really, for anywhere, for a lot more than skiing too.)

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is the view is from a bike ride in summer of 2020 coming down BCC at the big pinch in the road nearing the base of the canyon. You can only get this view on foot/bike as there is no place for a car to stop it's so tight. Everything up and down canyon has to go through this narrow two lane section.
View attachment 144309

@Jim Kenney, the area of the BCC road shown in your photo and described in your post is known as "Silent Rock". The mountain serving as the backdrop in your excellent photo is Storm Mountain.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Current shot of the Snowbird snow stake:

View attachment 144484

Tbh, we needed this after last year.
2"+ rain here since yesterday (Snowbasin area) ogsmile. Good to get the ground soaked now but I hope that snow melts before "real" winter sets in.
Last year we had some great early snow in the 2nd week of November & it looked like a great setup for the season, had it just kept snowing. In fact it was some of the best powder I skied all season...
61F69B04-9DA3-497F-98DC-D52CD93C63B5.jpeg EC5B5174-48EA-4604-AE43-14CAA2456099.jpeg

Turned out to be a curse for the rest of the season with an indestructible PWL that plagued us most of the season & probably was the root of a few deaths along with keeping much inbounds terrain closed while thorough avalanche reduction work was going on.

So far it only looks like an inch or two at Snowbasin & Powder Mountain but expecting more Monday night into Tuesday.

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@4ster Last season was a disaster. Low snow is weak snow.

But I was referring to the need for water. And I fully expect the snow we are getting now to melt and soak into the warm ground before November. Likely a few 80* days before ski season kicks in. Anything after Nov 1 tends to stick around. Hopefully after that it comes on thick.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Whoa! That’s crazy.
I remember hearing of a similar incident in recent years. I think it was in China and some of the runners died before they could be rescued.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa! That’s crazy.
I remember hearing of a similar incident in recent years. I think it was in China and some of the runners died before they could be rescued.
Yeah... that's covered in this thread:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t get it. It was no mystery today’s storm could produce low temps and significant snow in the area in question. In fact snow was on the ground to the south when the race began.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello all - I am new to this forum, so if this isn't the right place to ask- definitely let me know. (or if there are other forums that are better for random specific resort question, feel free to direct me there.
We are making our first trip out west (we live in NC) and will be staying and skiing at Deer Valley.
We are relatively new skiiers - so likely stick to the greens (with the wife) and easier blues.
A couple of questions
1. I am trying to figure out the map - the run Woodside- which direction does it go? From Webster to the Northside express - or vice versa? (I think it goes towards webster) - just trying to figure out if we go up lady morgan, how do we get back to our base at silver lake -
2. Same question with Banner - does it run towards the silver lake lodge or away?
3. The Silver Lake express lift - does it go both ways? (used to transfer skiiers from one base to the other - not necessarily up any mountain?
4. What blue runs tend to be the best as a next step up from the greens?

thanks in advance all
1. Woodside runs towards Webster, it’s a very slow flat run for the first 1/2 of it. If you go up Lady Morgan, then take Pearl to the Ruby lift then you can a myriad of ways back to Silver Lake.

2. Banner runs towards Silver Lake

3. yes, you can take Silver Lake Express in both

4. The best next step up Blues are on Flagstaff Mtn, off of Northside and Silver Strike lifts. The next stepup up from that are everything on Bald Mtn off Sterling and Wasatch lifts. Bald mtn is steeper and longer then Flagstaff. Bald Mtn are some of my favorite fall line intermediate groomers anywhere but they are a noticeable level
above the runs on Flagstaff

Last Chance and Dew Drop off of Carpenter are very manageable also.

happy to answer any other DV questions you have

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My next of many questions (someone tally it, we'll make a drinking game outta it!)... what are the implications of significant early season snow? I understand it can make for a weaker snowpack. What causes this? Is a weak snowpack avoidable with an early snow under the right conditions?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My next of many questions (someone tally it, we'll make a drinking game outta it!)... what are the implications of significant early season snow? I understand it can make for a weaker snowpack. What causes this? Is a weak snowpack avoidable with an early snow under the right conditions?
Some reference:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the snow is significant and it keeps snowing its fine. If its one good storm and then it doesn't snow for a while, the snow rots and it will form a weak layer.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Some reference:

Good stuff...my next question is what is significant? 3" of "old snow" on the ground? 13"? 3 feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online