• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted to comment on some of the grooming and snowmaking at Snowbasin. They have struggled in years past to groom effectively. Embracing the suck and just grooming less is probably the right call. I applaud letting more blue terrain bump up in general.

Both Herbert's and wildcat bowl are now growing whales. The resort has be blowing mounds of snow since Xmas. The mounds are now 15' tall. And seemingly no urgent plan to groom them out. Variety is the spice of life. But I am not sure where they are going with this.

Maybe if they blew some more whales, big ones, 30' tall on a steeper run like wildflower and just let it bump up all season they could advertise a Salvador Dali inspired freeride mogul terrain park.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted to comment on some of the grooming and snowmaking at Snowbasin. They have struggled in years past to groom effectively. Embracing the suck and just grooming less is probably the right call. I applaud letting more blue terrain bump up in general.

Both Herbert's and wildcat bowl are now growing whales. The resort has be blowing mounds of snow since Xmas. The mounds are now 15' tall. And seemingly no urgent plan to groom them out. Variety is the spice of life. But I am not sure where they are going with this.

Maybe if they blew some more whales, big ones, 30' tall on a steeper run like wildflower and just let it bump up all season they could advertise a Salvador Dali inspired freeride mogul terrain park.
Not Herbert's though. Pretty ridiculous it's in the state it is.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Embracing the suck and just grooming less is probably the right call. I applaud letting more blue terrain bump up in general.
Grooming when there is nice winter snow & well formed moguls is really not necessary except for beginner runs but once the temperatures warm grooming the right areas at the right time can make a huge difference in the quality of the on hill experience. I luv Wildcat Bowl with good bumps!
This one popped up on my Facebook memories yesterday from 12 yrs. ago…

I am heading up today and have no idea what to expect for coverage? Are there giant holiday hacked moguls on the Downhills & Jungle? Are there still many rocks on the steep pitches? I am bringing old skis just in case.

I have been skiing Pow Mow the past two days & it has been great but I have not been as low as Paradise.
Monday on Baldy…
6F21405F-1155-4F7C-9A13-452A29FEE461.jpeg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grooming when there is nice winter snow & well formed moguls is really not necessary except for beginner runs but once the temperatures warm grooming the right areas at the right time can make a huge difference in the quality of the on hill experience. I luv Wildcat Bowl with good bumps!
This one popped up on my Facebook memories yesterday from 12 yrs. ago…

I am heading up today and have no idea what to expect for coverage? Are there giant holiday hacked moguls on the Downhills & Jungle? Are there still many rocks on the steep pitches? I am bringing old skis just in case.

I have been skiing Pow Mow the past two days & it has been great but I have not been as low as Paradise.
Monday on Baldy…
View attachment 153978
Welcome back. Overall the blackout period was really chill with much less crowding and the moguls we're nice mostly. Curious to see your impressions of the hill.

4ster

Instructor
So I got 2nd chair on JP this morning and I was told that it went on windhold shortly thereafter. Skied the jungle to Hollywood to off-track Canyon and down city hill. Coverage was good, Snow was wind blown and surfy, maybe 6 inches & really fun :). I commend ski patrol for having everything ready and running right at 9 AM. So kudos to them and the lift mechanics
!:golfclap:

Skied till just before noon on wildcat and middle bowl chairs till middle bowl went on windhold around 11:45 AM.

I was somewhat surprised and disappointed to see them pull the plug for the day on JP at 11:45 AM. Seems like the standard in the past was to always give it a chance at least till 1 or 2 PM. Oh well, at least they didn’t keep me waiting around for nothing.

As far as grooming it was the kind of day where are you couldn’t tell & it probably wouldn’t make any difference. If you were a groomer skier, today was probably not a good day to be there.

EDIT: decided to delete my rant :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I got 2nd chair on JP this morning and I was told that it went on windhold shortly thereafter. Skied the jungle to Hollywood to off-track Canyon and down city hill. Coverage was good, Snow was wind blown and surfy, maybe 6 inches & really fun :). I commend ski patrol for having everything ready and running right at 9 AM. So kudos to them and the lift mechanics
!:golfclap:

Skied till just before noon on wildcat and middle bowl chairs till middle bowl went on windhold around 11:45 AM.

I was somewhat surprised and disappointed to see them pull the plug for the day on JP at 11:45 AM. Seems like the standard in the past was to always give it a chance at least till 1 or 2 PM. Oh well, at least they didn’t keep me waiting around for nothing.

As far as grooming it was the kind of day where are you couldn’t tell & it probably wouldn’t make any difference. If you were a groomer skier, today was probably not a good day to be there.

EDIT: decided to delete my rant :ogbiggrin:
I drove up and my car about got blown over in the parking lot so I waited for the 9:00 Twitter notification that said Needles was on hold so I went home. I want to hear your rant--it'd probably echo mine that I've been holding back!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Please rant! I'm curious... ;)

@4ster Ive never skied Baldy (or any of the powder country runs on that side of the road). Looks awesome!

4ster

Instructor
Please rant! I'm curious... ;)

@4ster Ive never skied Baldy (or any of the powder country runs on that side of the road). Looks awesome!
The snow on that side can turn to mank quickly but there are a few really good lines with a little leg work. The bus was kind of scary but I pasted on my KN95 & held my breath, not sick yet :crossfingers:.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow on that side can turn to mank quickly but there are a few really good lines with a little leg work. The bus was kind of scary but I pasted on my KN95 & held my breath, not sick yet :crossfingers:.
Yeah, I'm back to limiting my gondola rides. My daughter's school has done remarkably well with COVID with a high vaccination rate amongst students and staff and a much higher rate of masking than in the public schools, but one of her teachers left the classroom suddenly yesterday to get tested and it came back positive. Needless to say, the teacher did not return to the classroom and class had just started but still, ugh. My only comfort comes from my daughter being vaccinated and wearing a surgical mask at all times, and she tends to sit alone in the hallway at lunch.

Anyway, thread derail except skiing at a mountain that has two gondolas that are main lifts is a real drag during these COVID times. I wish the resort would require masks indoors and in the gondolas again.

Oh, and it's too warm! Rained an insane amount here at 5000 feet all day and melted off much of the almost 2 feet of snow. :( It's my 8th winter here and it has NEVER rained like this mid-winter. The forecast was for nearly a foot of snow at our house, but the forecast was off on the temps as it has regularly been for the past year or so.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
No snow in Utah...hence no postings? :)
No substantial new snow. The Cottonwood Canyon's resorts received 4 - 6" overnight. BCC closed yet again today due to "extreme congestion". The car parks at Solitude filled up very early and the line of vehicles attempting to reach Brighton backed up all the way past the Moonbeam base area of Solitude. UPD seemingly decided that today was the day to enforce roadside parking regulations, something that occurs every so often. Quite a few vehicles were trucked away by car haulers, an expense that amounted to around $800 two years ago when all the costs are aggregated. Maybe a four-digit expense currently with today's inflationary environment. Out-of-town visitors are shell-shocked when they come to the realization after extended searches that they didn't forget where they parked but rather their personal or rental vehicle had seemingly vanished. Locals should know better but also violate the "white line rule" on a fairly regular basis. It makes for a very pricey day on the slopes with a great deal of consequent inconvenience.

UPD was also enforcing roadside parking regulations around the big UTA ski bus car park at 6200 S. Wasatch Blvd, where the number of vehicles unable to park in the designated lot due to full capacity likely exceeded the number parked there by an impressive factor.

Earlier this week, one of UDOT's big double-bladed road graders tipped over on its side in upper BCC while trying to push all the accumulated snow along the canyon road further away from the pavement. It took a couple big plow trucks and an early morning canyon closure to pull it upright and out of the many-feet-depth of snow.

Conditions have been absolutely stellar for about the last 2.5 weeks.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I got a singular lunch run off Supreme at Alta today....4-5" of some of the lightest fluff of the season. Soooo nice but unfortunately it's on a very crunchy base. Gonna be a "loud" week of skiing til we get some more snow. If we can get another small refill Thursday/Friday it'll make things good again. Awesome stretch of weather but a week of sun is much welcomed to get caught up on avi control and get stuff open again. The backside opened today for the first time in weeks. I'm sure Baldy isn't too far behind. Then the games really begin!

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
I got a singular lunch run off Supreme at Alta today....4-5" of some of the lightest fluff of the season. Soooo nice but unfortunately it's on a very crunchy base. Gonna be a "loud" week of skiing til we get some more snow. If we can get another small refill Thursday/Friday it'll make things good again. Awesome stretch of weather but a week of sun is much welcomed to get caught up on avi control and get stuff open again. The backside opened today for the first time in weeks. I'm sure Baldy isn't too far behind. Then the games really begin!

Going up to Basin in the morning. Thinking of taking the Laser AX instead of my typical ~90mm wide stuff.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
The snow up higher was just fantastic today. We’re avoiding gondolas so stayed on Middle Bowl.
That makes sense. My mask was up 100% of the time, not that it's of any guarantee -- Utah is a tough place. Strawberry line was short today...got 8 runs in 1.5 hours. As you said, the snow was great, especially after my first run.

Actually sort of thought of you @AmyPJ as I was driving down and pass Mt Green....there's so little snow around. Sigh...

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That makes sense. My mask was up 100% of the time, not that it's of any guarantee -- Utah is a tough place. Strawberry line was short today...got 8runsnin 1.5 hours. As you said, the snow was great, especially after my first run.
FYI my husband is on the same ski as you.
I wish I had known it was quieter on Strawberry-I think we would have taken a run or two over there.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
FYI my husband is on the same ski as you.
I wish I had known it was quieter on Strawberry-I think we would have taken a run or two over there.
I remember about your hubby's Laser. I often wonder if I should have gone with 182 in lieu of 175. 175 worked well today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online