• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember about your hubby's Laser. I often wonder if I should have gone with 182 in lieu of 175. 175 worked well today.
He went from the 182 AR to the 175 AX and prefers the 175.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Once upon a time not so many years ago (just 3 or 4) my home mountain was consistently ranked in the top five for grooming. It is now bad. I mean really, really bad. What there is of it, which is about 50% less than in years' past, too.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Once upon a time not so many years ago (just 3 or 4) my home mountain was consistently ranked in the top five for grooming. It is now bad. I mean really, really bad. What there is of it, which is about 50% less than in years' past, too.

That's all I'm going to say about that.
Yup. ^

I finally got back up to Snowbasin today after the previous 3 days at Powder Mountain. Luckily the ungroomed skiing has been really good. With a high pressure inversion in place the snow will begin to get old & quality grooming will be more important. I gotta think Basin with their fleet of state of the art grooming machines must just lack operators.
I will give props to powder-mountain’s grooming crew, they have really done a great job the past few seasons & are continuing that trend from what I’ve seen this season. Not something you’d expect from a place that has built its reputation on natural snow & the anti-groom.

Still some leftovers Friday on Hidden Lake but a zipper crust from Thursday‘s rain lower down
7D73D98B-AC89-40C4-A11C-47E1D59CA0AC.jpeg

A surprise couple of inches overnight that skied like more was just the ticket to save & refresh the mountain top to bottom for Saturday
FF431188-B4A9-4462-9DD8-1980256201A3.jpeg

& still enough left on Sunday in the outer reaches
F0A52A49-89F5-4FB0-984A-A01195E53AFD.jpeg

Patrol told me this morning that I was the first civilian to ski No Name this season when it opened this morning. It was very wind hammered with a mix of sun, rain & wind crust depending on aspect & elevation which made for some very touchy, variable but fun skiing as everything was super smooth.
12 Trams & a couple of Middle Bowls made for a 40K’ day my biggest this season by far!
FFF98240-B966-4F6A-90E2-8CFDBC35BCC5.jpeg

l didn’t ski many groomers except the bottom pitches back to the lift & they were really, really firm
14C30682-A6A7-4D4C-8012-65E6873735EC.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. ^

I finally got back up to Snowbasin today after the previous 3 days at Powder Mountain. Luckily the ungroomed skiing has been really good. With a high pressure inversion in place the snow will begin to get old & quality grooming will be more important. I gotta think Basin with their fleet of state of the art grooming machines must just lack operators.
I will give props to powder-mountain’s grooming crew, they have really done a great job the past few seasons & are continuing that trend from what I’ve seen this season. Not something you’d expect from a place that has built its reputation on natural snow & the anti-groom.

Still some leftovers Friday on Hidden Lake but a razor crust from Thursday‘s rain lower down
View attachment 154692

A surprise couple of inches overnight that skied like more was just the ticket to save & refresh the mountain top to bottom for Saturday
View attachment 154693

& still enough left on Sunday in the outer reaches
View attachment 154694

Patrol told me this morning that I was the first civilian to ski No Name this season when it opened this morning. It was very wind hammered with a mix of sun, rain & wind crust depending on aspect & elevation which made for some very touchy, variable but fun skiing as everything was super smooth.
12 Trams & a couple of Middle Bowls made for a 40K’ day my biggest this season by far!
View attachment 154695

l didn’t ski many groomers except the bottom pitches back to the lift & they were really, really firm
View attachment 154696
The view of Snowbasin in that top picture is incredible.
And yes, the groomers from the usual spot from just below Middle Bowl and down were indeed firm. This upcoming dry spell makes for great moving weather so there's that going in our favor I suppose.

4ster

Instructor
The view of Snowbasin in that top picture is incredible.
And yes, the groomers from the usual spot from just below Middle Bowl and down were indeed firm. This upcoming dry spell makes for great moving weather so there's that going in our favor I suppose.
If it is not going to snow it wouldn’t hurt to keep the snow guns running on the bottom of the mountain to freshen things up on the groomers.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it is not going to snow it wouldn’t hurt to keep the snow guns running on the bottom of the mountain to freshen things up on the groomers.
Exactly. Sun Valley does that routinely to good effect. Not sure why that practice hasn’t migrated to the corporate cousins.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Soooo nice but unfortunately it's on a very crunchy base. Gonna be a "loud" week of skiing til we get some more snow.

This stuff is the bee's knees for this Utah native who is New England hardened.

All I can say is: tuned edges are a must, as is good technique. But it's a lot of fun if you have the right weapons to face the challenge.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier

thats a big day! very nice

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, what is the problem with SB's grooming? I'm genuinely curious as to what they are/are not doing.

Sunday at Powder was the most fun I've had on a non-powder day in quite some time! About 25*, no wind, bluebird. Just really enjoyable off-piste and the groomers were perfectly grippy and fun.

x-skiing1.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, what is the problem with SB's grooming? I'm genuinely curious as to what they are/are not doing.

Sunday at Powder was the most fun I've had on a non-powder day in quite some time! About 25*, no wind, bluebird. Just really enjoyable off-piste and the groomers were perfectly grippy and fun.

View attachment 154807
Giant potholes for lack of a better term in the middle of groomed runs, for one. Porky Face is not groomed nor has there been any snowmaking on it. There are huge ruts.

4ster

Instructor
Giant potholes for lack of a better term in the middle of groomed runs, for one. Porky Face is not groomed nor has there been any snowmaking on it. There are huge ruts.
Lol, I went down the 2nd pitch of Sweet Revenge (the main blue groomer) this afternoon & I was thinking SPEED BUMPS :ogbiggrin:! Yeah, it’s pretty pathetic.
OTOH, it has been country club skiing the past 2 days. I even got my own car for my one ride on Needles Gondola.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Lol, I went down the 2nd pitch of Sweet Revenge (the main blue groomer) this afternoon & I was thinking SPEED BUMPS :ogbiggrin:! Yeah, it’s pretty pathetic.
OTOH, it has been country club skiing the past 2 days. I even got my own car for my one ride on Needles Gondola.
Not all of us are so lucky to be able to ski on weekdays. :cool:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
:( We had to make the call today on our February trip to Alta/Snowbird. Family voted and the consensus was that given the current situation with Covid we need to cancel. Unfortunately everyone has so much going on with school, sports, work ... etc. trip does not make sense right now as none of us can afford to get sick. There was also the concern that one of us was likely to get sick before the trip and derail it last minute, which given the Omicron surge is a possibility. On the plus side this does free us up to participate in a couple Free Ride competitions in WA that are driving distance for us. Perhaps things will improve and we can reschedule the trip for later in the year.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:( We had to make the call today on our February trip to Alta/Snowbird. Family voted and the consensus was that given the current situation with Covid we need to cancel. Unfortunately everyone has so much going on with school, sports, work ... etc. trip does not make sense right now as none of us can afford to get sick. There was also the concern that one of us was likely to get sick before the trip and derail it last minute, which given the Omicron surge is a possibility. On the plus side this does free us up to participate in a couple Free Ride competitions in WA that are driving distance for us. Perhaps things will improve and we can reschedule the trip for later in the year.
That's a tough one for sure! I think you'd be jaw-droppingly shocked at the lackadaisical attitude amongst the general population here about taking any sort of precautions for the big C. Every time I go to the store (which is pretty frequently) I am...amazed at how few people are masking up again and how crowded places are. My daughter's school just went to remote learning for 10 days due to the number of cases there. None of the public schools have done that yet. (She attends a charter school.)

Back to Utah snow conditions--I can't recall an MLK weekend in 8 years that it didn't snow. We are in an extended dry stretch going for another 10+ days and it's already been a week+. It's not warming up enough during the day to soften things up, either.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
That's a tough one for sure! I think you'd be jaw-droppingly shocked at the lackadaisical attitude amongst the general population here about taking any sort of precautions for the big C. Every time I go to the store (which is pretty frequently) I am...amazed at how few people are masking up again and how crowded places are. My daughter's school just went to remote learning for 10 days due to the number of cases there. None of the public schools have done that yet. (She attends a charter school.)

Back to Utah snow conditions--I can't recall an MLK weekend in 8 years that it didn't snow. We are in an extended dry stretch going for another 10+ days and it's already been a week+. It's not warming up enough during the day to soften things up, either.
Yeah this was a tough one as I love skiing LCC and we had a sweet setup at GMD. At the same time we live in WA where Covid is a real thing and almost everyone we know is getting sick. We are less worried about Omicron but were more concerned about the impact getting it would have, i.e. getting sick in LCC and not being able to fly home as planned. The other big concern was that if this surge continues, which it feels like it will fr some time it will impact a lot of things and impact our trip in different ways. Long story short is LCC is a no go in Feb despite all the great snow, but hopefully I can come later in the year and close out my season there like I did this past year.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Tiger Tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online