• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021/2022 ~ How many days so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's that thing hanging off your pants? :roflmao:
An actual lift ticket. :geek:

Phil and I have skied every day together this year so far. We're both at...
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.50.53 AM.png

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 12 for me was a necessary mental health day at Park City as I've been dealing with unhappy family stuff back here in my home state.

IMG_1760.jpg

Traffic leading to the resort was heavy on I-80 due to a combination of sun glare and people wanting to ski on a bluebird day. I can see why the locals are unhappy with the glut of new skiers as this traffic is so much worse than it used to be. Thankfully I follow the PCMR ops Twitter feed so I was able to find out that the Main Base lots were full and parked at Canyons Village (not my preferred place to park but just fine).

I saw that Super Condor was spinning and after snapping this selfie decided to see if they'd load anybody today (spoiler alert: they did not, but the run was a lovely corduroy cruise on my new Nordica Enforcer 100s).

IMG_1761.jpg

Tombstone and 9990 were on hold in the morning so I beat a hasty retreat to Iron Mountain and Quicksilver to head over to the "old mountain" at PCMR. The runs under the (non-operational) Thaynes double were worth the short hike, with a lot of the "dust-on-crust" that was all over the resort after Friday's warm, windy day with a bit of rain before the fresh snow fell. Let's just say that this Utah born, Eastern hardened skier felt right at home.

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

I only had until lunchtime to squeeze in all of my skiing for the day, but a treat was in the offing as patrol did rope drop on Limelite just as I was nearing the top of Quicksilver gondola back to the Canyons area. So I did a run in untracked, wind-deposited blower with a light crust underneath atop deep, dry stuff.

IMG_1780.jpg

This is the view of Limelite from Quicksilver *after* my run - skiers relished the opportunity for freshies!

IMG_1776.jpg

Walking to Lite's Out because it's the only way out...

IMG_1778.jpg

Lite's Out was an ideal exit, with more of the deeper powder (and a few short aspen trees to either deflect or... umm... straddle.

Otherwise it was a run on Dreamcatcher (found some fresh in the aspens) and then back to the village and my car.

The crowds at PCMR were big - really big. Some lift queues were stupid long, but floating through the singles line made for quick movement. The lack of staffing definitely affects lift and trail access and quality of the snow surface as grooming is less prevalent on anything other than essential "easiest way down" trails. I heard a lot of locals grousing about the "ice" (note: if you can get an edge into the snow it's not ice, and edging this stuff wasn't too difficult), and if a skier is accustomed to a softer surface then there's a quality assurance issue at play.

But I enjoyed the skiing, it was a necessary break from everyday life.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1641775558946.jpeg

Breck with my 7yo daughter and 7yo niece. Snowed about 4“ throughout the day. Nice soft and forgiving conditions. A bit of a tough day on my back but an investment in the future.

bgimby

Losing an edge
Skier
23 at Snowbird. I lost much of the holidays to COVID (luckily was vaccinated so symptoms weren't too bad) and finally made it back out to race training this morning. In GS gates today, much of the course was fairly slow tempo and I was rushing the turn rather than letting them run, stacking up over the new outside ski, and waiting until the right moment to angulate.

I wasn't quite able to get the right feeling in the course today, but in freeskiing patience led to an interesting interaction where even though I was letting the skis run and skiing faster, the extra time between beginning the transition and starting to angulate allowed me to stack up better and get better edge angles at the apex, leading to a tighter turn.

View from top of gadzoom at sunrise is always nice.
1641779309690.png

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
day 16, enjoyed skiiing with 9! friends, endless grip, just awesome.
2022-01-10 20.31.59.jpg

did som testing with misc soles, not sold on theese, imho atomics gives better heel control and more direct, sidas feels ok skiiing but hurts on lift whne I unload

2022-01-10 16.19.46.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
day 16, enjoyed skiiing with 9! friends, endless grip, just awesome.
View attachment 154674

did som testing with misc soles, not sold on theese, imho atomics gives better heel control and more direct, sidas feels ok skiiing but hurts on lift whne I unload

View attachment 154675
Whose the friend with the big boy Fischers? I've seen those peeking out of several of your posts.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whose the friend with the big boy Fischers? I've seen those peeking out of several of your posts.
GF! rockin the very special & rare yellow topsheet 102FR called "myranger" she loves them, her deacon 84 were in the shop getting a basegrind to fix a bad factory tune, and we didnt think it was SL/GS conditions ( but it were ) I do have them in yellon on 115FR, but with conditions we had, 0 point ;)

She runs some stupid high edge angles on the fischers and carves them on the black run without scrubbing speed, just using the turn radius on them. They have a very aggressive tune, so even ice works out. They are her favorite ski, but they ski way better than a 102 on firm should ski.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
12 at Rose with @Pat AKA mustski, @Stephen, and Pat's hubby Bob. Conditions are stellar. Chalk everywhere, including the trees.
20220110_124413.jpg

Stephen contemplating the interesting snow on the very south edge of inbounds

20220110_101312.jpg

Bob in the trees between Bonanza and Bruce's

20220110_101302.jpg

Pat getting her shred on

20220110_094654.jpg

Obligatory totem photo

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GF! rockin the very special & rare yellow topsheet 102FR called "myranger" she loves them, her deacon 84 were in the shop getting a basegrind to fix a bad factory tune, and we didnt think it was SL/GS conditions ( but it were ) I do have them in yellon on 115FR, but with conditions we had, 0 point ;)

She runs some stupid high edge angles on the fischers and carves them on the black run without scrubbing speed, just using the turn radius on them. They have a very aggressive tune, so even ice works out. They are her favorite ski, but they ski way better than a 102 on firm should ski.
Right. Mine are the OG 115 Xti with the FR tails. Black and yellow top sheets. They came from the factory with a 1/3 tune. Go figure.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Yesterday was day 1, since March 13 2020. Last year was the only year since the early 1990's I haven't skied. I've had a season pass at Okemo, since 1996/1997 when my son joined the race team.

I did get in 75 days once, I think it was about 2001, while working a full time job. That was a great ski season.

I check in here a few times a week, but don't post much like I used to on Epicski. Nice to see some old names are still around.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lucky #13 at Rose with a crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online