• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021/22 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I graduated from PT today. Time to start being in charge of my own rehab. Had a frank talk with my physical therapist about skiing next year.

When we started working together in late January, he was horrified at the idea of my skiing next season. Today he said he knew that once I started feeling better I would want to return to skiing. He feels that it's very possible if I work hard and continue to progress as well as I have in the last 3 months. Well, the gauntlet has been thrown down and I have 7 or 8 months of hard work ahead of me.

I will defer my IKON pass if I don't feel ready.

I plan to hire a personal trainer who specializes in helping people return from serious injury. I am apprehensive but highly motivated.

:thumb::beercheer:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I plan to hire a personal trainer who specializes in helping people return from serious injury. I am apprehensive but highly motivated.
A personal trainer, assuming they're the right one for you, is a very good plan. Given my back issues, I probably wouldn't still be skiing if I hadn't found a great one 7 years ago.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My SO tore his ACL 3 weeks ago at Stratton. No grand story, he was done with the run and was skiing over to the ski racks when his skis got caught up in the slush/muck, twist the knee and he went down. He's my main ski buddy so it's been an adjustment going without him. We met with the surgeon the other day. He's scheduled for surgery 5/11 and doc said he could resume skiing in 9 months or so. I know there's varying opinions about that but he just needs to stay positive right now so we'll see how he feels come December/January. Bummer is no twisting motions during recover so that means no disc golf.................... It'll be an interesting summer. I was down for the count for a couple months last summer after my foot surgery, now it's Michael's time. At least this happened at the end of the season. Onward...................

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Only a flesh wound :). Meniscus tear tune up yesterday.

20171020_194740b.jpg

meff

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My SO tore his ACL 3 weeks ago at Stratton. No grand story, he was done with the run and was skiing over to the ski racks when his skis got caught up in the slush/muck, twist the knee and he went down. He's my main ski buddy so it's been an adjustment going without him. We met with the surgeon the other day. He's scheduled for surgery 5/11 and doc said he could resume skiing in 9 months or so. I know there's varying opinions about that but he just needs to stay positive right now so we'll see how he feels come December/January. Bummer is no twisting motions during recover so that means no disc golf.................... It'll be an interesting summer. I was down for the count for a couple months last summer after my foot surgery, now it's Michael's time. At least this happened at the end of the season. Onward...................
My wife tore her ACLs in consecutive years back in 2010/11 one in March one in April, both years with a lot of PT she was able to get back on the snow in December. Positive attitude and hard work go a long way.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Only a flesh wound :). Meniscus tear tune up yesterday.

Massive flap tear cleaned up. Crippling pain to ZERO PAIN! My Doc is moving to Wisconsin :(Docgonnit. Will miss him. Great expert knee doc. Casey Lagan is his name if anyone in Wisconsin kneeds him. He is starting his own new practice. He worked for hospital here. He did my R knee 4 years ago perfectly.

IMG20220429094259.jpg

IMG20220429094310.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He can rehab with @AKMINK. I purchased her IKON and Mt. Rose passes for next season so she needs to get on it! She did surgery last Wednesday. No major PT yet nlbut she's getting along pretty well. Very little post surgery pain. We borrowed one of those ice water pump machines. Highly suggested. She pretty much kept it on for the first several days.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
He can rehab with @AKMINK. I purchased her IKON and Mt. Rose passes for next season so she needs to get on it! She did surgery last Wednesday. No major PT yet nlbut she's getting along pretty well. Very little post surgery pain. We borrowed one of those ice water pump machines. Highly suggested. She pretty much kept it on for the first several days.

Thanks. Sounds good. Yeah I bought Michael's IKON pass for next season so same. Glad there's very little pain. Going to look into the ice water pump thing. Thanks for the recommendation. Speedy recovery wishes to @AKMINK. Let's share recovery stories. They can motivate each other.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Sounds good. Yeah I bought Michael's IKON pass for next season so same. Glad there's very little pain. Going to look into the ice water pump thing. Thanks for the recommendation. Speedy recovery wishes to @AKMINK. Let's share recovery stories. They can motivate each other.
Today she put her compression stocking in by herself! She's getting very self contained. I have to make an attachment for her walker so she can use the vacuum and carry the laundry basket!:ogbiggrin::duck:

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

Ironically Michael got a call from the surgery center today to go over a few upcoming appointments and they've offered to arrange to rent a ice water pump thing for him. He said funny that as we were just talking about this. He was going to rent one on his own so glad they brought it up.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
an attachment for her walker so she can use the vacuum and carry the laundry basket
That's nice, her being so ambitious and all. Tell her to slow it down. She can do these consecutively, instead of trying to cram it all in at once. Then she'll be able to bring you some snacks with one task and a cold beer with the next. Go ahead ... tell her that. Dare you!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask about a CMM - Continuous (passive) Motion Machine. Apparently they are no longer the standard protocol, but I felt it helped me a lot during my ACL recovery.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quick update on some of my skiing related issues and other.

I crashed on a flat zone at Stratton - caused by vertigo March 25th I think. The vertigo was nasty. It turns out that I took a good hit to the head and didn't realize. II caused a serious concusssion. I was on Xarelto (blood thinner) and hard hits to the head can be an issue... brain bleeds. That can kill ya.

Since then I have really been struggeling with head aches and bad balance. This sucks but I am beginning to see improvement although I fell down twice yesterday on grass.

In June I go in for a Watchman. This devise removes clots from the blood to the brain. It greatly lessens the likelyhood of stroke and it means for me; blood thinners will no longer be needed.

One good thing, I am back to the gym and can see improvement in strength. I am also shedding about 12 lbs, maybe - six so far. These are hard times for me. Just keep leaning into it - onward through the fog.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick update on some of my skiing related issues and other.

I crashed on a flat zone at Stratton - caused by vertigo March 25th I think. The vertigo was nasty. It turns out that I took a good hit to the head and didn't realize. II caused a serious concusssion. I was on Xarelto (blood thinner) and hard hits to the head can be an issue... brain bleeds. That can kill ya.

Since then I have really been struggeling with head aches and bad balance. This sucks but I am beginning to see improvement although I fell down twice yesterday on grass.

In June I go in for a Watchman. This devise removes clots from the blood to the brain. It greatly lessens the likelyhood of stroke and it means for me; blood thinners will no longer be needed.

One good thing, I am back to the gym and can see improvement in strength. I am also shedding about 12 lbs, maybe - six so far. These are hard times for me. Just keep leaning into it - onward through the fog.
Good going. Never heard of a "Watchman."

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like an NFL ring that goes in the Aorta at the heart. It is fed into the vein at the hip area and snaked up and into the heart. The doctor drills a hole in the heart wall and feds it into the other chamber. Finally the device is released or opened like an umbrella. It sequesters blood clots and takes the place of blood thinner. Can't wait... hope they do it right!

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
So it filters out the clots. The body then breaks down those clots? This is interesting. Anybody have a little detail - in layperson terms - of that process? @Jwrags? @DocGKR?
The Watchman is not a filter but rather a "plug". People with atrial fibrillation(uncoordinated contraction of the upper chambers of the heart) can develop blood clots, predominately in the left atrial appendage, a small sack area of the left atrium. This happens because the atria do not contract properly and therefore do not empty well and the blood sits in the left atrial appendage and clots. The danger is this clot can escape and travel to the left ventricle where it is pushed into the aorta. The aorta takes blood from the heart to the rest of the body. The fear is that the clot will go to the brain, causing a stroke, but it can also create havoc by lodging in a blood vessel to the bowel or leg.

The Watchman is placed into the opening of the left atrial appendage and closes it off over time so that blood cannot pool there or clots escape. It will eventually seal it off with tissue ingrowth. One will need to stay on blood thinners for a couple of months while this ingrowth happens and then on platelet inhibitors forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor