• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021/22 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seven months for me. Most days I feel like I'm walking pretty normally. But I start limping on the way home from a long walk. And I get weird pains - shin splints, ITB tightness, etc well in excess of the amount of activity. If I "overdo" which wouldn't have been overdoing last summer, I have to rest for several days.

Like @Errand Wolfe I am not pleased.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Figure I’ll give an update on my injury. Tore my ACL in March 2021, and had a patellar tendon graft done in April of that year. I was then in PT 2x week through September 2021. I got in 3 days and 12 runs of skiing (tele) this year on green trails at Smuggs in mid March.

The range of motion is pretty much back, I can extend to -5° in my good leg and 0° in the injured leg; flex is about the same where I can touch my heel to my butt on both legs. The injured leg just feels slower than the other one though. I still notice a bit of a funny gait going down stairs, and don’t feel comfortable getting out of the saddle to climb on my road bike. Getting out of the saddle is fine on the indoor trainer though, maybe because it is stable below me. I’m hoping that is the muscles needing to get stronger. My ortho says the knee is as strong as ever, and I have a brace to wear for this next season.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Figure I’ll give an update on my injury. Tore my ACL in March 2021, and had a patellar tendon graft done in April of that year. I was then in PT 2x week through September 2021. I got in 3 days and 12 runs of skiing (tele) this year on green trails at Smuggs in mid March.

The range of motion is pretty much back, I can extend to -5° in my good leg and 0° in the injured leg; flex is about the same where I can touch my heel to my butt on both legs. The injured leg just feels slower than the other one though. I still notice a bit of a funny gait going down stairs, and don’t feel comfortable getting out of the saddle to climb on my road bike. Getting out of the saddle is fine on the indoor trainer though, maybe because it is stable below me. I’m hoping that is the muscles needing to get stronger. My ortho says the knee is as strong as ever, and I have a brace to wear for this next season.
My wife is going through the acl recovery too. The PT said the 3-6 month time frame is when most people re-injure. She had a hamstring tendon replacement. Initially it's strong but after a few months of no blood supply it weakens, just about the time you're feeling good. As the blood supply regrow it gets stronger again. Glad you're doing well.

Edit: just reread and saw yours was '21.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife is going through the acl recovery too. The PT said the 3-6 month time frame is when most people re-injure. She had a hamstring tendon replacement. Initially it's strong but after a few months of no blood supply it weakens, just about the time you're feeling good. As the blood supply regrow it gets stronger again. Glad you're doing well.

Yeah, my ortho said 9-12 months before I was supposed to be doing much past walking on flat ground and cycling. I understand recovery time differs with what tendon they use. Good luck to your wife! I have 2 friends who had ACL or ACL+MCL tears in 21-22 season. One is 5 months in and finally able to climb stairs on her own.

I have a follow-up with my ortho in a few weeks so we will see if he has any additional words of wisdom.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister

Hope Ann is ready to get on skis this year. She may feel most comfortable on the green runs.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Mid summer update to my last post on March 16 about my medical issues.

At the end of March with blood tests showing I had developed thick blood with several out of whack blood test parameters, was diagnosed with polycythemia vera and began treatment that include 3 phlebotomies and taking hydroxyurea pills. After 3 months blood levels were back to normal and for last couple months just taking those low dosage pills. My mother that passed away a decade ago at age 86 probably had the same issue that developed into acute myleode leukemia. Without modern medical science advances of the last 2 decades I would be on my way to the grave too but now expect to continue life without issues for at least a couple decades.

More likely to affect my ski life is the right shoulder rotator cuff injury that resulted in supraspinatus tendonitis that slowly migrated down the complex of tendons to my inside elbow. Much better now than just a month ago so has taken a long time to heal though raising my arm above my shoulder without pain will take more time. The last few months have done a lot of urban walking for exercise while my upper body strength has withered. Surprising as a right handed person how intelligent by necessity my heretofore ignored left arm/hand has slowly become. During the last month, little me at 139# has done two modest backpacking into the Sierra Nevada carrying 55# to 60# that is a significant sign my health is returning and expect I'll be just fine skiing bumps next season.

A week ago on one of the Hilton Creek Lakes at 9.8k in the John Muir Wilderness with 12k 13k peaks in distance.

TQ00283-00326-5x1vy.jpg

Within 45 minutes of arriving late morning and setting up camp, caught these 3 rainbow trout right in front of our tents that made for a fine lunch.

cf8784y.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Mid summer update to my last post on March 16 about my medical issues.

At the end of March with blood tests showing I had developed thick blood with several out of whack blood test parameters, was diagnosed with polycythemia vera and began treatment that include 3 phlebotomies and taking hydroxyurea pills. After 3 months blood levels were back to normal and for last couple months just taking those low dosage pills. My mother that passed away a decade ago at age 86 probably had the same issue that developed into acute myleode leukemia. Without modern medical science advances of the last 2 decades I would be on my way to the grave too but now expect to continue life without issues for at least a couple decades.

More likely to affect my ski life is the right shoulder rotator cuff injury that resulted in supraspinatus tendonitis that slowly migrated down the complex of tendons to my inside elbow. Much better now than just a month ago so has taken a long time to heal though raising my arm above my shoulder without pain will take more time. The last few months have done a lot of urban walking for exercise while my upper body strength has withered. Surprising as a right handed person how intelligent by necessity my heretofore ignored left arm/hand has slowly become. During the last month, little me at 139# has done two modest backpacking into the Sierra Nevada carrying 55# to 60# that is a significant sign my health is returning and expect I'll be just fine skiing bumps next season.

A week ago on one of the Hilton Creek Lakes at 9.8k in the John Muir Wilderness with 12k 13k peaks in distance.

View attachment 174144

Within 45 minutes of arriving late morning and setting up camp, caught these 3 rainbow trout right in front of our tents that made for a fine lunch.

View attachment 174145
Heal well, Dave. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Yep MRI confirmed I tore the ACL again walking the dog a week before my last post. No idea why it happened when it did, I was standing stationary and moved my affected leg ~3 inches which tore the ACL. Doesn't seem right. The swelling after was me shredding my meniscuses jogging.

All I got to do is start all over again.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just reread this entire thread to commemorate the one year anniversary of my accident. Yes, it's been a whole year. I had hoped to be skiing by now but two separate orthopedic surgeons told me that I should wait until the spring. So I deferred my pass about two weeks ago.

Now it's snowing like crazy at Mammoth. I'm glad I deferred the pass because I would be extremely tempted to ski in December. So the deferral has forced me to do the right thing.

Hubby is currently on his second ski trip of the season. I'm home alone and keeping very busy. I sure hope to ski in March or April.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just reread this entire thread to commemorate the one year anniversary of my accident. Yes, it's been a whole year. I had hoped to be skiing by now but two separate orthopedic surgeons told me that I should wait until the spring. So I deferred my pass about two weeks ago.

Now it's snowing like crazy at Mammoth. I'm glad I deferred the pass because I would be extremely tempted to ski in December. So the deferral has forced me to do the right thing.

Hubby is currently on his second ski trip of the season. I'm home alone and keeping very busy. I sure hope to ski in March or April.

Hang in there. My SO is recovering from a full ACL and partial meniscus tear. He should hopefully get clearance to ski mid January. He's only going to ski groomers this season so no powder days and no spring skiing. He's bored now and the waiting is rough. Mammoth is building up the base so hopefully it'll be a nice long spring for ya.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Made it out today and I really took it easy. One run and my legs were burning. I did a single run and there was one benefit - it became clear that it was a big mistake to move my binding setting forward last season. It may have contributed to my crash in March. It should be easy to return them to the previous setting.

My skiing could have been worse but people were looking at me and wondering what my problem was.

I am so tired I can barely stay awake.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Injuries from this year have been moved to a new season healing vibes thread here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online