• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021/22 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Watchman is not a filter but rather a "plug". People with atrial fibrillation(uncoordinated contraction of the upper chambers of the heart) can develop blood clots, predominately in the left atrial appendage, a small sack area of the left atrium. This happens because the atria do not contract properly and therefore do not empty well and the blood sits in the left atrial appendage and clots. The danger is this clot can escape and travel to the left ventricle where it is pushed into the aorta. The aorta takes blood from the heart to the rest of the body. The fear is that the clot will go to the brain, causing a stroke, but it can also create havoc by lodging in a blood vessel to the bowel or leg.

The Watchman is placed into the opening of the left atrial appendage and closes it off over time so that blood cannot pool there or clots escape. It will eventually seal it off with tissue ingrowth. One will need to stay on blood thinners for a couple of months while this ingrowth happens and then on platelet inhibitors forever.
Good explanation. I would only add that assuming the watchman device has been optimally sized to occlude ( close off / block ) the LAA , the safety and efficacy of Watchman is well established at this point for folks with atrial fib. Lots of skiers sidelined by blood thinners needed to prevent AF complications can eventually get back on snow… and shift their skiing related medical concerns from cardiology/ neurology back to orthopedics!

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
And that’s a wrap on 21-22. Ortho visit this am confirmed not one but two fractures R foot/ ankle. Last friday at PT went ( not sure why) to gab a run or two in kinda crummy conditions… hadn’t frozen for two nights . But I live here so… Two runs turned into 5; last on 5 th tree run Shirley where they had just stopped training GS. Abt a 1/3 or run had been salted ( nice and hard) and everywhere else was skiable slop and muck. Anyway, apparently nobody slipped the course and about 1/4 way down i barreled into a solid , deep cross rut which threw me back and then literally onto my back and a headfirst slide. As I was trying to get my 184 SR 95 s off the snow i ran into the soft manky stuff , the R tail stuck, i kept going , and then the inevitable sharp pain.
Much to my surprise i was able to ski ( sort of) down to the chair, load, and then at top ski down to funi to download .
The walk from base to parkinglot was , ah, amusing in a perverse way… but only a bad sprain, right?
No, two avulsion fractures: lateral malleolus ( ankle bone), and avulsion fx of base of 5th metatarsal. Translation: season over and also cycling likely to be v delayed. Sigh! Getting too old for this shit :)

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Amazinng, the mank is problematic hope you heal quickly.

And thank you for the explanation on the Watchman. My doctor indicated much less time of the blood thinner, but I want this.

Doctor had me to the the dentist and make sure everything was taken care of and up to date.

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Season over mid April. No wait…conference at Squaw Creek, I’ll bring the sticks…ski two hours at the end of the day, the day after 2’ dump. All good, walk to the shuttle stop…no, wait…what’s up with my RT knee, I don’t recall an incident? Orthopedic yesterday, likely a torn meniscus. Fortunately ligaments seem fine. Waiting for MRI…also not enjoying this aging thing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
also not enjoying this aging thing.

Don't know abut you. I am totally into this getting older thing. The only other alternative is getting dead. Not good.

One of my favorite meme of all time.
1652425119886.png

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So with the season wrapped it is time for the miscellaneous rehab projects.

Project number 1 - minor surgery to address my trigger finger in my right hand. Seems I must have gotten to used to giving folks the finger as I have developed trigger finger on both middle and ring fingers on my right hand. Two rounds of steroid injections failed to permanently knock this out, though they did get me through ski season. Go in on Friday for a quick procedure where they effectively remove some of the tendon sheath that is causing the irritation.

Project number 2 - address periodic and lingering issues with my right knee. Having an MRI on Thursday and a follow-up in early June. This may just require some PT, but has been bugging me on and off for the last 6 months so want to get it properly addressed once and for all.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting about the trigger finger; mine seems relatively benign - same two fingers but on my left hand (I'm a righty). By simply lowering my left arm while sleeping on my left side, it completely went away ..... for now.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Interesting about the trigger finger; mine seems relatively benign - same two fingers but on my left hand (I'm a righty). By simply lowering my left arm while sleeping on my left side, it completely went away ..... for now.
I had two rounds of steroid shots and it kept on coming back and was getting worse. Procedure took about 20 min. Worst part was that I could not feel most of my hand for close to 24 hours due to local anesthetic. Pain is minimal and stitches come out in 10 days. Full recovery is about 6 weeks, though I can go back to full activity as soon as my stitches come out. Hand doc said this is a common condition that really only gets worse over time if not treated. In my case when they went in to correct my trigger finger (right middle and ring fingers) they found some cysts on the tendons that they took out as well. Looking forward to getting the stitches out so I can go mountain biking

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
My wife put her pole straps back around her wrists as suggested by her mogul coach after skiing all year without straps. Tore the thumb ligament that holds the digit up when she fell. Time for end of the season surgery. Brother-in -Law dislocated his shoulder on Friday but was able to pop it back in on the slope. My only injury of the weekend was a pole stab in my bare leg from a friend. Skiing in the Month of May comes with a physical price.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the surgeon today for my 6 month followup.

And now I'm in the same place where I've been for two months. To my surprise, the surgeon didn't jump up and down and forbid skiing. He said that the knee is ready for skiing. But...if I fall...it might be a disaster. I will see him again on December 23. So the decision is back on my shoulders.

He went from "You will never ski again" to "You may ski if you want to." My physical therapist made exactly the same leap and was not surprised that I was considering skiing again though he was completely against it when I first saw him.That's a big change and indicative of the progress I have made.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the surgeon today for my 6 month followup.

And now I'm in the same place where I've been for two months. To my surprise, the surgeon didn't jump up and down and forbid skiing. He said that the knee is ready for skiing. But...if I fall...it might be a disaster. I will see him again on December 23. So the decision is back on my shoulders.

He went from "You will never ski again" to "You may ski if you want to." My physical therapist made exactly the same leap and was not surprised that I was considering skiing again though he was completely against it when I first saw him.That's a big change and indicative of the progress I have made.
Encouraging news!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
He said that the knee is ready for skiing. But...if I fall...it might be a disaster.

Ugh. Did he lay out what a worst case scenario looks like? And a most likely case? Or define what he means by "disaster"? I kind of thought what happened in December was a disaster.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A second revision might be very difficult, depending on the damage.

Thus you can imagine the consequences.

And yes, December 4 was a disaster in so many ways.

Enough said.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A second revision might be very difficult, depending on the damage.
Are you more likely to break it when you fall? If not, is it any more risky than anyone having osteoporosis going skiing?

(I have osteopenia. Had a couple of broken bones that refused to heal as expected. So I'm terrified of hard falls. But for me, skiing isn't the top of the risk profile in terms of falls )

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you more likely to break it when you fall? If not, is it any more risky than anyone having osteoporosis going skiing?

(I have osteopenia. Had a couple of broken bones that refused to heal as expected. So I'm terrified of hard falls. But for me, skiing isn't the top of the risk profile in terms of falls )

It's more risky because it might be extremely difficult to repair. I had a knee replacement 10 years ago and then this second replacement/revision. A second revision is not recommended.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Next week will be 8 months since surgery. I've got a limp most of the time and never feel like I have full extension. I can do stuff, walked/jogged 7 miles on Sunday but it was so sore I couldn't use that leg to walk up the stairs on Monday. I am not sure what went wrong but it feels like a giant train wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online