• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Armada Declivity 92 Ti

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I took the Declivity out after two days on the K2 Disruption MTi and was greeted by softening, spring-like conditions at Mt. Rose. Visibility was flat (shocking, no?) with clouds and mist moving in and out of the area, pushed by pretty high winds. While the snow wasn't quite slush, it was certainly moving in that direction with the moisture in the air and a bit warmer temps. We even got into the go/slow/go/slow funky snow that one usually finds later in the season. Again, the Declivity didn't disappoint. They were just as happy sliding around as arcing a turn with no drama. I was glad to be on a more relaxed, less demanding ski today with conditions on the hill as they were. After being on the Disruption, I definitely noticed more tip "noise" than I thought I did before, though it wasn't bothersome. That speaks more to the Disruption's glued-to-the-snow feel than any weakness of the Declivity. Two entirely different skis for two entirely different purposes. I chose wisely today!

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
How is the Declivity in comparison to others in this space...Enforcer 88/93, Brahma 88, Kendo....

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the Declivity in comparison to others in this space...Enforcer 88/93, Brahma 88, Kendo....
I've only been on the Kendo and recall it being a more powerful ski than the Declivity, meaning "pay more attention to me" in my case. If you like a more relaxed ski, the Declivity is it. @Philpug, any thoughts?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
See @WadeHoliday's review of the Kendo. He's lighter than me and a better/more experienced skier. He can answer more specific questions on the Kendo.

Yep, I've spent quality time on the Kendo, but never got to ski the declivity 92.
I did ski the 82, and believe their would be lots of similarities between the 2, even length is probably very similar as volkls tend to a bit long for stated length.
Cheers!
W

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd be curious how the Declivity compares with the Dynastar M-Pro 90 and the Liberty Evolv 90.
Much lighter and more playful than either of the other two.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Put me down as a fan of the M-pro 90... it's really unusual that a ski with ss much tip rise as this one has didn't get an under the breath 'god that sucked' from me. I thought they were strong, confident, stable, and had really nice consistent edge grip, release, etc....

Evolve 90.... kissing cousin to the mind bender 90, with a bit more accurate tip on piste. The Evolve and MB 90 are nice, well mannered skis that work great for less aggressive skiers, but neither has the grip or power of their 99 and 100 brothers. Seems they've both pursued the 'let's make the narrower ski easier' marketing/sales path as opposed to something like an enforcer or Brahna 88 which are more on the 'angry little brother' side of the equation compared to their wider counterparts.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Evolve 90.... kissing cousin to the mind bender 90, with a bit more accurate tip on piste. The Evolve and MB 90 are nice, well mannered skis that work great for less aggressive skiers, but neither has the grip or power of their 99 and 100 brothers. Seems they've both pursued the 'let's make the narrower ski easier' marketing/sales path as opposed to something like an enforcer or Brahna 88 which are more on the 'angry little brother' side of the equation compared to their wider counterparts.
You are so right about this. I demo'd my friend's Brahma 88 and MB90. I liked them both despite completely different personality. Funny thing is, I wish there is something in between angry second child and proper first born. I haven't tested enforcer 88, but it seems it'll fit that category.

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
You are so right about this. I demo'd my friend's Brahma 88 and MB90. I liked them both despite completely different personality. Funny thing is, I wish there is something in between angry second child and proper first born. I haven't tested enforcer 88, but it seems it'll fit that category.

Same thoughts here. Looking for that middle child. Is it the enforcer 88 or the Kendo?

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm curious how the Declivity 92 compares to the new Ripstick Black 96. Seems like they're competing in roughly the same space, i.e. both light & fun skis that still have some backbone, although they have quite different constructions.

Also, how is the Declivity 102? The Armada marketing says "With the hard-charging all-mtn skier in mind..." which sounds somewhat different to the 92. Is that just hype or is it actually more of a charger?

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
@Andy Mink Thank you for the long-term review. Very insightful and interesting for those of us considering this ski. Like mentioned in the previous two posts, I too am curious how the Declivity compares to the Rustler9 and Ripstick 96 (both Black and Green).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Declevity has a Ripstick feel to it...but obviously without the ease of the Amphibio design. I found the Armada to be a bit more straight forward in the turn initiation. Compared to the Rustler, that is more off piste oriented with the tip and tail rise.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Got the Declivity in some bumps today at Rose. Bumps ranged from nicely spaced small ones to "who parked their VW Bugs under here" big ones. The skis are much better in bumps than I am. They put up with my miscues without beating me up. When I found a rhythm they were easy to turn anywhere on the bump, or between bumps. The snow was soft and lumpy; no deflection, just go where you want. The more I ski them the more I could see them as a daily driver for Tahoe. I still haven't hit open powder or trees but, short of really deep fresh, they should be great.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anecdotal/Non Expert review and one follow up question: Skied both Declivities and Brahma 88's (per other requests). Alta Conditions were the same each full day on the ski's: bluebird groomer, cold early, warmed up enough to soften snow by days end. So a good two days of similarity to try them.

Preferred the Brahma 88's over the Declivity in those conditions. Declivity's (possibly due to user error) were not that fun on morning groomers (lots of chatter, not as much edge grip) whereas the Brahmas ripped all day on everything. with no edge grip concerns and late day cut through everything. Beyond the morning groomer comparison, though, I liked the Declivity as much as the Brahmas. However if I wanted one ski to ski them all (in this comparison), I'd go Brahma 88.

That said...anyone with experience comparing the Declivity 92 v. Kastle 89 or 88s?

dwboyajian

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Declivity 92 - 188 - For Sale in Marketplace - skied 10 times. Great ski. Great Price. Check 'em out.

dwboyajian

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anecdotal/Non Expert review and one follow up question: Skied both Declivities and Brahma 88's (per other requests). Alta Conditions were the same each full day on the ski's: bluebird groomer, cold early, warmed up enough to soften snow by days end. So a good two days of similarity to try them.

Preferred the Brahma 88's over the Declivity in those conditions. Declivity's (possibly due to user error) were not that fun on morning groomers (lots of chatter, not as much edge grip) whereas the Brahmas ripped all day on everything. with no edge grip concerns and late day cut through everything. Beyond the morning groomer comparison, though, I liked the Declivity as much as the Brahmas. However if I wanted one ski to ski them all (in this comparison), I'd go Brahma 88.

That said...anyone with experience comparing the Declivity 92 v. Kästle 89 or 88s?

@noobski MX88 said to be slightly more forgiving than last year's MX89. I loved skiing the MX89. They arc really long turns, are very stiff, and can hold their grip on ice. I don't know that I've ever felt more stable on any all mountain ski. Not ever! Such a great ski. And you cannot find a top speed on that ski either!

I own, and am selling, my Declivity 92. I do love them. They are also very versatile. They can rip a turn. They can hold an edge. They are playful. You can rip through moguls. I found that I can blast through chop pretty easily also. I was so happy with the ski that it could do all of this and be lightweight, allowing me to not get too fatigued by day's end. Why am I selling them? I own Rustler 9 at 188 and they are more playful, although not by much, and have better off piste performance. And I want a dedicated on piste ski - looking at Stockli AR this week. May consider Renoun Z90. And had a great demo on Brahma 88s (would like to try the 82s but can't find them lto demo).

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
@noobski MX88 said to be slightly more forgiving than last year's MX89. I loved skiing the MX89. They arc really long turns, are very stiff, and can hold their grip on ice. I don't know that I've ever felt more stable on any all mountain ski. Not ever! Such a great ski. And you cannot find a top speed on that ski either!

I own, and am selling, my Declivity 92. I do love them. They are also very versatile. They can rip a turn. They can hold an edge. They are playful. You can rip through moguls. I found that I can blast through chop pretty easily also. I was so happy with the ski that it could do all of this and be lightweight, allowing me to not get too fatigued by day's end. Why am I selling them? I own Rustler 9 at 188 and they are more playful, although not by much, and have better off piste performance. And I want a dedicated on piste ski - looking at Stöckli AR this week. May consider Renoun Z90. And had a great demo on Brahma 88s (would like to try the 82s but can't find them lto demo).

Great report. I like every ski you mentioned, however never skied Stockli because I'm afraid of trying higher level ski-dopamine.

I've been skiing a friends 89's for a couple weeks now and LOVE them. I finally got my 2020 Kastle 89's this week. Can't wait to get them set up!

Sponsor