• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Augment All Mountain 98 Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: When I first heard about the all-new AM98, I have to admit I was a bit scared. I had just skied the AM88 for a couple of days prior and I know the attention that ski demanded of me. I wondered if I really wanted to give that kind of attention to a 98mm ski. Knowing the type of ski that Augment is known for, verrrrrry traditional and demanding, I thought the 98Ti would not be the type of ski that I usually like in this category. Boy, was I wrong.

I had a list of skis to get though at Winter Park and I didn’t get on the AM98 until near the end of the day when my legs were on "E," the light was flat, and the conditions were cut up: the trifecta of “What could possibly go wrong” after a full day of skiing. Why so negative? I should been thinking, "What could go right?" And what went right was everything. The AM98 rejuvenated my energy, gave me a solid connection to the snow, which made the flat light a nonissue, and ...what crud? Hell, had I time to ski it more, it would have done my taxes, changed the oil in the SS Pugski, and had the drinks poured when we got back to the condo. Augment’s All Mountain 98Ti is a ski that dreams are made of.

Insider tip: A Raw Pivot 15 will look so choice on these. This tip is for the designers at Augment: please make this ski in an 88mm mold.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers who miss the the original MX98.
Who is it not for?
Lighter, finesse skiers: to paraphrase Jack Palance, this ski craps bigger than you.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 179, 187
Dimensions
138-98-120
Radius
18m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Agree on the 88 or be bold and make it a little narrower.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
If I read your review correctly the AM98 is not just a wider AM88? I only did one run down Grizzly at Snowbasin last March on the AM88 and thought it was spectacular. But at the time I thought if it came in a slightly wider foot print for deeper off piste days as well that could be my new DD. There was no fluff about that day to ski the AM88 in. Not that I think that is what that ski is about.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
"Hell, had I time to ski it more, it would have done my taxes, changed the oil in the SS Pugski, and had the drinks poured when we got back to the condo. "

giphy.gif
Sounds very inspiring, Phil. I dig the Curly reference too.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Slight disagreement with Phil here, AM98 is not a replacement for the original MX98. Its thoroughly modern all-mountain ski, perhaps, it what the Kastle FX95HP should have been. Don't get me wrong, FX95HP is a really fine ski, but Augment AM98 is something special...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
CD9DC96F-37D7-4A33-82CF-99547B3897E2.JPG

B6493688-C24D-4B5D-986F-26DDE6B8E8B3.JPG

Long term update: I have been recovering from some back issues and today was the first day I was able to get back out and ski without worrying about re injuring my back. At Mt. Rose there was about 4" of heavy snow over some firm contitions underneath, conditions that could show a skis weakness or limitations. Limitations? HA! says the Augment AM98.

Like with many premium skis, they are not constrained by piddly things and limitations like turn radiuses and running lengths, these numbers are beneath them. This is the case with the Augment AM98Ti, when you look at the rise if the tip and tail, you would think the 179cm skis short and might be nervous. Nope. 18 meter turn radius? It wil be too turny and limited. Again, nope, I was close to scaring myself...yet I was able to lay the ski over into some serious trenches. There is a calmness that this ski exudes that I have rarely felt before.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Oké, it's powerful, crushes crud, is extremely calm and boosts confidence. Checks a lot of boxes. How is it in the departement of livelyness/playfulness? One of the strongsuits of an Enforcer 100 is the combination of power, damp/calm feeling with a good amount of fun/playfulness. How relates this AM98 with the E100? And have tou skied the longer version as well?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oké, it's powerful, crushes crud, is extremely calm and boosts confidence. Checks a lot of boxes. How is it in the departement of livelyness/playfulness? One of the strongsuits of an Enforcer 100 is the combination of power, damp/calm feeling with a good amount of fun/playfulness. How relates this AM98 with the E100? And have tou skied the longer version as well?
@Alexzn and I were out at Squaw this past weekend, Alex on the 187 and I was on the 179. It every condition we took the AM98ti in it performed stellarly. We came to the conclusion that the AM98 was a ski that was built to a standard and not to a pricepoint. The one ski we did compare it to was the Nordica Enforcer 100 and if someone built the best Enforcer they could, using hte best materials they could get their hands one, damn the beancounters you would have the Augment 98Ti.
As far as playfulness, I think the AM98Ti is one of the more playful 98-100's offered, the personality range of this ski is huge. Personally I gravitate to playfulness in a ski in this range and the AM delivers in spades.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
@Alexzn and I were out at Squaw this past weekend, Alex on the 187 and I was on the 179. It every condition we took the AM98ti in it performed stellarly. We came to the conclusion that the AM98 was a ski that was built to a standard and not to a pricepoint. The one ski we did compare it to was the Nordica Enforcer 100 and if someone built the best Enforcer they could, using hte best materials they could get their hands one, damn the beancounters you would have the Augment 98Ti.
As far as playfulness, I think the AM98Ti is one of the more playful 98-100's offered, the personality range of this ski is huge. Personally I gravitate to playfulness in a ski in this range and the AM delivers in spades.
Wow, this sounds really good. A ski with all the benefits of a reference ski and than some more. I think my search for a new ski has entered a new dimension. On lenghts: I dont know Alex' specs but 179 seems a bit short for my intended purpose and preference. Does it ski long and was there much difference between 179 and 187 in terms of significant more/less playfulness, stability, float?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does it ski long and was there much difference between 179 and 187 in terms of significant more/less playfulness, stability, float?
I need to get out on the 187 to see how it is to compare. I image it will be much more truck like for me (5'11" 185lb) than the taller skiers who like it.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll wait impatiencely :). I'm your size and found the Enforcer 100/185 fantastic but the 193 less so. Still good and fairly fun but bit sluggish for my taste. But still, I like tall skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll wait impatiencely :). I'm your size and found the Enforcer 100/185 fantastic but the 193 less so. Still good and fairly fun but bit sluggish for my taste. But still, I like tall skis.
Which Enforcer 100? the previous one or the newest one?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Which flex did you and Alexn have on the 179 and 187?
Mediums. Augment is bringing the skis in with three flexes, Soft, Medium and Stiff.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Augment USA website currently only allows soft to be selected....
These are early skis and slight cosmetic bless...and are the soft side of medium.

Sponsor