• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Augment All Mountain 98 Ti

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
As far as playfulness, I think the AM98Ti is one of the more playful 98-100's offered, the personality range of this ski is huge. Personally I gravitate to playfulness in a ski in this range and the AM delivers in spades.
I reread this sentence and I'll have to say that this aspect surprises me the most. Purely based on written info I had expected a far more serious ski; racebred, long wheelbase, just a little tip/tail rocker, fairly heavy (2000/2100 gr. by 179/180) combined with the Augment view at stiffness. In my mind not directly a recipe for delivering "playfulness in spades." Still very curious how much playfulness is lost in the 187.
Perhaps @Alexzn will shed some light?

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was able to take the AM98(187 length) out for my birthday and what a friggin treat!
I own the AM88 in 179, absolutely love it, and wouldn’t change a thing. The AM98, just based on its shape, I knew would be different and it did not disappoint. Confidence inspiring doesn’t even seem to give it enough credit. I’ve been a big fan of the Augment skis and I don’t hide that fact but I cannot overstate how good this ski is. When considering skis, there is always give and take and you make choices based on the boxes you want it to check. This ski checks so many boxes it makes it an easy choice. If I had a complaint at all it would be in the playfulness category but even that seems a bit unfair because it is playful. Definitely the most playful Augment I’ve been on aside from their freestyle ski. If I’m being super picky it’s not as playful as some skis that check very few boxes in comparison.
This ski gave great feedback while still remaining damp. It’s powerful when that is needed but doesn’t demand your attention all the time. Overall it’s just a dang good ski.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I reread this sentence and I'll have to say that this aspect surprises me the most. Purely based on written info I had expected a far more serious ski; racebred, long wheelbase, just a little tip/tail rocker, fairly heavy (2000/2100 gr. by 179/180) combined with the Augment view at stiffness. In my mind not directly a recipe for delivering "playfulness in spades." Still very curious how much playfulness is lost in the 187.
Perhaps @Alexzn will shed some light?
I need to find the time to write up my impressions. Phil’s description is spot on, this is not a fat race ski, its a purposely-designed-from-the-ground-up all-mountain ski. Augment still bring its top-quality construction and materials to the table and, yes, the ski is not a noodle. The result is quite spectacular, perhaps class-leading.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the AM77 and skied it all over Mt. Bachelor. I demoed the AM88 and loved it in pretty crappy conditions at Mammoth last winter. I skied the AM98 in 179 at Alpine the other day and...didn't love it. It felt vague and uncomfortable both on smooth groomers while carving and in some bumps where it just tossed me around. Now, I'm not the worlds greatest bump skier by any account but this was weird. I can, however, get some good railroad tracks laid. On the groomer the tips never felt planted. I didn't trust them to stay hooked in the turn and it was fairly soft snow (Sherwood in the morning, so not mush yet). I believe with the amount of rise in the tips I needed the additional stability of the 187 at my weight and height, 190 and 5'10". This is an "if you're between sizes, go up" ski. I should get some turns on the longer one this weekend.

I've had similar issues with other skis that utilize a long, gradual rise when skiing the shorter length. Make no mistake, the lineage you feel in the other Augments can be felt in the AM98. It is smoooooth. I'm pretty sure the 187 will get me into the "love it" category.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Without the ability to demo, how do you choose what stiffness is best for someone? They say the two stiffest are special order only, so I doubt I'd need that. But, how do you know on the other 3 choices.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Without the ability to demo, how do you choose what stiffness is best for someone? They say the two stiffest are special order only, so I doubt I'd need that. But, how do you know on the other 3 choices.
The ones we have here are on the softer side for their scale but by no means soft. If these were cars, we are talking 350-400HP vs. 700HP.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
I love the AM77 and skied it all over Mt. Bachelor. I demoed the AM88 and loved it in pretty crappy conditions at Mammoth last winter. I skied the AM98 in 179 at Alpine the other day and...didn't love it. It felt vague and uncomfortable both on smooth groomers while carving and in some bumps where it just tossed me around. Now, I'm not the worlds greatest bump skier by any account but this was weird. I can, however, get some good railroad tracks laid. On the groomer the tips never felt planted. I didn't trust them to stay hooked in the turn and it was fairly soft snow (Sherwood in the morning, so not mush yet). I believe with the amount of rise in the tips I needed the additional stability of the 187 at my weight and height, 190 and 5'10". This is an "if you're between sizes, go up" ski. I should get some turns on the longer one this weekend.

I've had similar issues with other skis that utilize a long, gradual rise when skiing the shorter length. Make no mistake, the lineage you feel in the other Augments can be felt in the AM98. It is smoooooth. I'm pretty sure the 187 will get me into the "love it" category.

I’m curious. You and I and Phil are about the same size and weight. I haven’t read any complaints from Phil about vagueness or beiing tossed around in bumps. Is it a ‘feeling’ matter or skiing style or...?
Another question: you wrote that you’ve had similar issues with other skis (...). Have you skied Enforcer 100 in 177 and 185? I always felt the 177 would be too short for me purely based on how the 185 skied.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m curious. You and I and Phil are about the same size and weight. I haven’t read any complaints from Phil about vagueness or beiing tossed around in bumps. Is it a ‘feeling’ matter or skiing style or...?
Another question: you wrote that you’ve had similar issues with other skis (...). Have you skied Enforcer 100 in 177 and 185? I always felt the 177 would be too short for me purely based on how the 185 skied.
I am guessing style has something to do with it. Phil is a more advanced skier than me and we have a few other skis that we don't personally care for while the other one does. I haven't been on the Enforcer so can't report there. I do like the the Evolv100 in the longer length but it has less rise in the tip. I would have thought I'd like it shorter. Honestly, it's usually me, not the ski.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: OK, please read the post above concerning the 179 with a grain of salt. I was able to take both the 179 and 187 up to Mt. Rose this morning. It was actually good conditions to test in. High wind, limited visibility at the top, and between 0 and 8-10" of fresh, depending on where the wind blew it. Essentially, you could go from boot deep rollers to scratched off frozen several times in one turn. Throw in soft piles for bumps, bumps hiding under soft snow, and really nice tree snow and it was truly a test of a ski's mettle.

I skied the 187s first. Blown. Away. They provide a soft yet controlled suspension over the varying snow. In the piles I could either GS turn or pivot on top. The ski just flowed over and around. On the blown off groomers with wind affected whale backs they just moved from hard to soft to hard with no problems or excitement. I took them into the trees, which had wonderful soft snow, and found I could turn them as quickly as necessary to avoid owees. Float, flow, pivot, carve.

After 3 or 4 runs I got on the 179s. I took them down the same run I just did on the 189s. Growing soft piles with crust in between. Once again, like the other day, I felt tossed about a bit. OK, what's up? I then took them down one of my favorite, very familiar runs. They were better in the chop but still not overly confidence inspiring. On the groomers I felt the same disconnect I felt a few days back.

I don't know why there is such a noticeable difference in the way these two skis feel to me with only an 8cm difference. @Philpug loves the 179 and we're almost the same weight and height. Some thoughts are binding position, boot angle, and general skiing style. My BSL is about 15-20mm longer than Phil's. With the Salomon demo bindings only having adjustment on the heel piece, I'd be skiing them a bit further back. Does it make a difference? Perhaps. My boots also have a bit more forward lean than Phil's so I'm probably a little more forward over the tip of the ski. That extra few centimeters may come into play there. And then there's style. Phil has a very easy, flowing, efficient style of skiing while I tend to muscle my way around to compensate for shortfalls in technique. That extra length may just keep me from tipping over!

I got back on the 187s and finished the morning until the lifts got put on wind hold. Trees, glades, tighter trees, piles, groomers all felt good. Even in fresh, untracked powder, these Augments feel, um, different. Silky. Quiet (they even sound different when you drop them to the snow to click in). Sooo smooth transitioning from one snow type to another. I don't think I'd want the 98 for my DD but I could be talked into it. I see more groomers than fluff so the AM88 would likely be my choice from the Augment line. The 98 would be for the skier who really likes wider skis and may have the opportunity to put that extra bit of width to use more often than not.
20210319_093241.jpg

Last day of winter goodness

20210319_103804.jpg

The guy who has these went into the lodge just before me. I came out less than 5 minutes later. Yes, the wind was blowing.

20210319_111251.jpg

Varying conditions

20210319_112842.jpg

Proper top sheet coating

20210319_094433.jpg

A bit foggy. It did get worse before it got better before it got worse again.

Last edited:

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
:hail: Thank you, thank you. Very enlightning. Given your description of riding the 187 I conclude it is not very ‘trucklike’ what Phil expected it to be for a bit. And I assume it still has its playful properties.
Given my own preference for longer skis, the fact that the behaviour and feeling of the 187 is not radically changed in ‘too much ski’ or ‘more trucklike’ leads me to believe I’ve found a new, even better Enforcer. In short: I think I will get an extra mortgage and buy one. Thx.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I conclude it is not very ‘trucklike’ what Phil expected it to be for a bit. And I assume it still has its playful properties.
I am off snow still until next week when I hope to get on the 187.

Bacchus

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone, I am new here, but I would like thoughts on how the AM98 compares to the Mantra M6. I demoed the Mantra M5 several times this season and fell in love with the ski, and based on reviews M6 will be even better. I am leaning towards the M6 for my go to all-mountain ski for next season. I have demoed the AM88 last recently and enjoyed it a lot but don't think it will be wide enough for fresh powder. It was great for spring conditions at A-Basin though. I will be demoing the AM98 later this week but it may be some time before I get to demo the m6.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi everyone, I am new here, but I would like thoughts on how the AM98 compares to the Mantra M6. I demoed the Mantra M5 several times this season and fell in love with the ski, and based on reviews M6 will be even better. I am leaning towards the M6 for my go to all-mountain ski for next season. I have demoed the AM88 last recently and enjoyed it a lot but don't think it will be wide enough for fresh powder. It was great for spring conditions at A-Basin though. I will be demoing the AM98 later this week but it may be some time before I get to demo the m6.
Different animals. You like the M5, well the M6 is an evolution from that. The 3D radius makes for a different on snow experience, smoother, better turn in, more fun and playful. The scaled Titanal frame allows all the sizes to ski proportionate, the M6 is better and if you liked the M5, you will love it. Now, what does an additional $500 buy you? Refinement, versatility and the answer to all of your dreams of what you would expect a ski with 98mm waist and price tag well north of a g-spot.

The AM98 is very different ski from the 88, while it shares the DNA, it is the shape, rocker, sidecut and feel that differenciates the two. Demo it, it it doesn't completely wow you as you would expect a ski in this price range should, you will have the M6 to fall back on and be perfectly content.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
After having skied the 187cm Augment AM98 (soft flex--which really isn't soft, but I digress), I now believe the "AM" does not just refer to "All Mountain", but actually stands for "AMAZING".

For several years I have been searching for a replacement for my beloved 2014 Nordica Hell & Back (185cm/98mm/21m), but none of the 90-100mm "All Mountain" horde matched the H&B's amazing capability for carving groomers while offering awesome rebound energy, fantastic mogul capability, all while being able to handle a foot or two of fresh new snow as well as punch through the chopped up aftermath.

The 187cm Augment AM98 is the first 90-100mm ski I've been on which matches or exceeds the performance of my 185cm Hell & Back. The AM98 offers very quick turn-in, with amazing edge hold and stability for such a wide ski, while offering nice rebound energy out of carved turns. The AM98's work surprisingly well in moguls and they just zoom through Spring corn and slush. I have not had a chance to ski them in fresh snow yet.

These AM98's came with the absolute best factory tune of any ski I have used or seen--bar none.

These are the ski I have been searching for!

Sponsor