• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blizzard Firebird Race Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: You are getting a ton of performance with the Race Ti -- even compared to its more expensive brother, the Comp. Blizzard just makes good technical skis. Period.

Insider tip: If you are a layman and want a carving ski, buy this and spend the extra money on a super tune.​

Tricia: By now you’ve heard that Blizzard has brought back the Firebird name. What I’m about to tell you is how surprised I was that I had so much fun on this ski. I took it for two runs and even went high to hit some moguls in Hallelujah Bowl, which was tons of fun. The Race Ti is the friendliest version in the Firebird lineup, which is perfect for an advanced skier who may be a little smaller and still wants the precise turn shape and race ski feel without being punished for being light.

Insider tip: If you’re looking for something more stout, look at the Firebird SRC or WRC.​
Review updated from 2020

Who is it for?
Someone who wants a technical ski but doesn’t want to break the bank. A recreational skier looking for a race ski feel.
Who is it not for?
The person who has more dollars than cents. Sure, spend the extra bucks if you must. Someone who doesn’t like to carve.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
148, 154, 160, 166, 172, 178
Dimensions
121-70-104
Radius
14.5m@172cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me start off with the fact that I have neither experience nor skill in this genre, so take my comments with that in mind.

My ski is the 178cm. 15.5m radius. Marker TPX 12 Gripwalk Binding.
I am 6’5”(195cm), 175lbs (80kg).

I have been skiing these at Spirit Mountain, a fairly short hill (400-500’ vert) mostly low angle. Or short moderate steepness followed by flatter run outs.
I finally got a day at Lutsen, which, although not tall by Mountain standards, is more than tall enough to reach my (fairly conservative) max speed.

I skied low angle and slightly steep pitches, nothing super steep. But based on the behavior on the steeper bits I would not expect anything surprising there.

The ‘support’ and grip are great, but since I don’t have much comparison, I won’t go into that any further.

What I think I can offer, is insight into their ‘forgiveness’. Given some other reviews, and the category in general, I was was worried I would find them “grabby” and “unforgiving”, “locked in to a turn” or such, especially on less than smooth snow.

This was absolutely not true. Even with my intermediate level skills, I could easily release the edges, and make pivoted and skidded turns. Not as loose as my K2 Marksman (truly the looses ski in the world), but entirely doable.
Skiing after some fresh snow, through the scraped off and snow piles, no problem. 6” fresh snow? I could still release the tail to turn.

Sponsor