• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blizzard Rustler 10

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FairToMiddlin: I was gaga over the Rustler 10 last year, and this year, Blizzard told us that it increased the wood core thickness by 1mm, gave it a new top sheet, and called it a day. So, all the loveliness from the original, with a supposed higher top speed, what’s not to like? Sorry to say, Blizzard didn’t seem to care if we found out. The pair handed to me easily wins the award for Most Appalling Tune this year. The base-high contour of the bottom robbed the ski of all the snappy responses its shape is capable of, and it skied nothing like the stellar pair I had last year. Only in very soft snow (or mindless straightlining, which I had to resort to) was the flex able to poke its nose past the unresponsiveness of the tune and reveal a bit more beef underfoot. The increase in stability is there, but wasn’t game changing, and I wouldn’t encourage anyone to ditch their current 10s.

So (combining this, and last year’s more actionable test): in either current or future form, the Rustler 10 is a hugely talented ski: its shape offers quickness in hard or soft snow, the medium/soft flex lets the driver easily select a variety of turns, and the construction offers enough beef to motor through crud at an amusing speed. I still want a pair.

Stephen: The Rustler 10 was my second favorite of the day -- mainly because I felt that it is a cross between the playfulness of the Tracer 108 and the business side of the Invictus 99Ti. I can see this being a great ski for a one- or two-ski quiver. Just add a carver for a 2SQ or stick with it through everything: it holds the snow well enough to carve a bit and make it through chop but also easily handles a bit of powder. I was impressed.

Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
A lot of people. Those looking for a wider, do-it-all ski. Off-piste aficionados who want to make all kinds of turns.
Who is it not for?
Big-mountain chargers will be better served with the Cochise. Those with a larger quiver. There are other skis that excel in the different areas.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
133-102-122.5
Radius
17.5m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
Binding options
  1. Flat

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Just a note, I spent a lot of time on this ski this past season (19/20 version) and found that mounting this ski 2cm! yes 2 back, was magic for myself and customers. She floated effortlessly in the powder yet with it's softer flex still made beautiful round arcs on the groomers. We mounted all sold 2cm back and all Sheeva's 1cm back and without exception customers were happy!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This ski has to be one of the best OSQ skis for out west I have demoed in the past few years. I demoed the 2019 188cm and was just an awesome combination of stability and edge hold on groomers and maneuverability all over the hill. If you are between sizes dont be afraid to get the longer length.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just a note, I spent a lot of time on this ski this past season (19/20 version) and found that mounting this ski 2cm! yes 2 back, was magic for myself and customers. She floated effortlessly in the powder yet with it's softer flex still made beautiful round arcs on the groomers. We mounted all sold 2cm back and all Sheeva's 1cm back and without exception customers were happy!

Every length?

smokeythedog

Booting up
Skier
How do these compare to the Enforcer 104 Frees? I convinced myself that the 104s were more powerful, but am reading a lot of opinions that they're very playful. I'm considering the Enforcer 100 or 104 and Rustler 10 as the wide ski of a two ski quiver.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How do these compare to the Enforcer 104 Frees? I convinced myself that the 104s were more powerful, but am reading a lot of opinions that they're very playful. I'm considering the Enforcer 100 or 104 and Rustler 10 as the wide ski of a two ski quiver.

The Enforcer 104s are more solid and powerful feeling vs the Rustler 10 that’s still lighter even with their weight gain last year. The Rustler 10 is actually slightly stiffer underfoot vs the Enforcer 104 that has a more even flex tip to tail so it’s still very forgiving. Combine the even flex and solid weight of the Enforcer 104 with it’s twined tail, it’s a very easy to pivot ski for how good it is in rough conditions. Neither ski loves high speed GS turns but both are lots of fun at moderate speeds.

The 2021 Enforcer 100 added some weight and are stiffer vs last years(or compared to the 104) but swing weight decreased so it doesn’t feel heavier. Flatter and stiffer tail vs the 104 so not as forgiving but a better carver in firmer conditions. So it’s the most “serious” of the group.

So Enforcer 100 if you want the best hard snow performance, Enforcer 104 for better float and a more playful feel and Rustler 10 for the lightest on feet feel.

Also consider Fisher 102 FR for a precise carver that’s a little less forgiving with it’s stiffer flex but very stable at speed for it’s weight and very good off piste too. Mindbender 108 Ti very forgiving as well along with Fantastic float that’s still decent on piste.

smokeythedog

Booting up
Skier
The Enforcer 104s are more solid and powerful feeling vs the Rustler 10 that’s still lighter even with their weight gain last year. The Rustler 10 is actually slightly stiffer underfoot vs the Enforcer 104 that has a more even flex tip to tail so it’s still very forgiving. Combine the even flex and solid weight of the Enforcer 104 with it’s twined tail, it’s a very easy to pivot ski for how good it is in rough conditions. Neither ski loves high speed GS turns but both are lots of fun at moderate speeds.

The 2021 Enforcer 100 added some weight and are stiffer vs last years(or compared to the 104) but swing weight decreased so it doesn’t feel heavier. Flatter and stiffer tail vs the 104 so not as forgiving but a better carver in firmer conditions. So it’s the most “serious” of the group.

So Enforcer 100 if you want the best hard snow performance, Enforcer 104 for better float and a more playful feel and Rustler 10 for the lightest on feet feel.

Also consider Fisher 102 FR for a precise carver that’s a little less forgiving with it’s stiffer flex but very stable at speed for it’s weight and very good off piste too. Mindbender 108 Ti very forgiving as well along with Fantastic float that’s still decent on piste.

If you are from Ontario, I'm assuming you're familiar with Blue Mountain? My home resort in the Midwest U.S. is very similar. I'm leaning towards the 104 Free and Rustler 10s as my wide ski in a 2SQ, is there anything specific you would pair with one of those to have fun at Blue Mountain and still have versatility out West? Appreciate your input, quite an arsenal you have!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Memberships at Blue mountain(now Ikon) and at Moonstone with similar conditions and usually one of these is used as my daily out west.

If you’re more into moguls and off piste skiing out West as well a ski for a “bit of snow/afternoon crud/Spring skiing” in the East, it’s tough to beat the Enforcer 104. Very fun and forgiving yet solid enough that it plows through crud.

If you want more of a wide carver and a more precise ski with better edge grip on harder snow grip in the East or West, Fisher 102 FR. Not as damp or as forgiving as the E104 but very stable at very high speeds on groomers.

Rustler 10 is lighter than any of these but not as damp or as comfortable at higher speeds. Prefer the other 2 over it myself.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I ski the Rustler 10 (188cm) and love it. Light, stable, composed and does what I want when I want it. Just a fun, versatile ski that can go anywhere. Not the greatest on ice/firm or crud/chop but then again neither am I :ogcool: I'm 6'2" and 190 for what that's worth.

freedydog

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I ski the Rustler 10 (188cm) and love it. Light, stable, composed and does what I want when I want it. Just a fun, versatile ski that can go anywhere. Not the greatest on ice/firm or crud/chop but then again neither am I :ogcool: I'm 6'2" and 190 for what that's worth.

Mark, did you demo the Enforcer 100 before pulling the trigger on R10? Very torn...Thx

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
Mark, did you demo the Enforcer 100 before pulling the trigger on R10? Very torn...Thx
I did. In fact I demoed the 100, the 104 along with the Volkl 102M and the K2 Mindbender 108. The Rustlers really weren't on my radar but the guy at the demo shop at Northstar suggested I take them for a spin. I did and bought a pair. They make me smile.

Sponsor