• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blossom Cross Wind

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Same construction, different shape. The whiteout is going to be quicker edge to edge and have a tighter TR. so For more groomers and carve focused skiing, whiteout.

I was also surprised at the amount of tip rise in the Cross Wind vs. the White Out (which basically has none).

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Are you looking at the pics on page 1? I am pretty sure that’s the tip and tail. @Andy can confirm but I didn’t think there was much difference in the tips? Neither ski have rocker.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you looking at the pics on page 1? I am pretty sure that’s the tip and tail. @Andy can confirm but I didn’t think there was much difference in the tips? Neither ski have rocker.
Correct. The photos are tip and tail of the Cross Wind.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Never said rocker. Noting the tip rise in the Cross Wind which is readily shown on the pics Andy posted.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Ron and @Andy Mink. This is my first season on my Vist Crossover IIs (same ski as the White Out) and I’ve yet to encounter anything they cannot handle in Tahoe. The skis, along with the Vist Speed Lock plates and bindings, instill total and complete confidence.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I didnt see the white out tip pics.

They weren't posted here. I had a pair on lone last season into the beginning of this season. They are a traditional camber ski. The rise on the Cross Wind starts at about 20cm from the tip (as far as I can tell from the pics).

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Finally got on the Crosswind this Am while skiing with @Jwrags this was interesting because he has the 175 Stockli Laser AX and has the same BSL as me. I was able to jump on the Stockli while testing the Crosswind. Although the Whiteout is the better comparison, the Blossoms line contains a very similar feel throughout. Blossom once again applies the same winning formula to the Crosswind they are using for all their other skis; superbly smooth, quiet and composed. Damp, but not as damp as a Stockli but I dont miss that on the Blossoms, there's a great snow feel that I really enjoy. If you read my Blossom SL review, (still yet to be published) the Crosswind possesses much of the same feel, responsiveness and precision but on a wider chassis. I skied the Crosswind on grippy, fast, hero snow groomers, some soft bumps and tracked out snow and loved this ski. It was superbly tuned by EdgeWerks here in steamboat and that highlighted how good this ski is. Ski it fast, slow or noodle around on it. It could make a great teaching ski. The 178 length is perfect if you are already skiing groomer skis in similar lengths. The 18m TR can be tightened considerably and the tip is just soft enough to absorb in the bumps but firm/supportive enough when putting the ski on edge and driving the tip on carved turns. The tail is firm but I wouldn't call it overly stiff, it flows very well through the turn. It can released well in crud and bumps. I would be hard-pressed however to choose between the Crosswind and the Whiteout. It would really come down to honestly evaluating where you will use it most.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The Crosswind was indeed a nice ski. Lighter than the AX and softer in the tip. Not as “serious” as the AX.

Reactions: Ron

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Blossom Cross Wind intrigues me. The question is if I were to acquire a pair what length, 178 or 184? My current quiver is all 180s to 185s with the exception being a 179 K2 Mindbender 108TI (the 186 was a little slow in response time for what I wanted). The last "small" (the term is relative) ski I owned was a Rossi E88 (the green tipped version). It was a fine ski but I ended up really disliking it primarily because of its length. I bought it from my brother who used it as one of his teaching skis I think it was a 176, can't recall precisely. I found it to be unstable when pushing hard in the steeps at speed. On the other hand the Mindbender is quite stable at speed, presumably the titanal y beam. Does Blossom measure their skis based on straight tape pull? In other words are they like K2 were a 179 is a 179 or other manufactures where a 178 is really a 176 and a 184 is a 182? Thanks for the thoughts.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if it's straight pull or not but I liked the 178 for the slightly shorter turn radius. I'm at 190-195 and 5'10". It was plenty stable for as fast as I go (and sometimes that's fairly fast). I find it easier to make a shorter radius ski turn longer than a longer one turn shorter.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The Blossom Cross Wind intrigues me. The question is if I were to acquire a pair what length, 178 or 184? My current quiver is all 180s to 185s with the exception being a 179 K2 Mindbender 108TI (the 186 was a little slow in response time for what I wanted). The last "small" (the term is relative) ski I owned was a Rossi E88 (the green tipped version). It was a fine ski but I ended up really disliking it primarily because of its length. I bought it from my brother who used it as one of his teaching skis I think it was a 176, can't recall precisely. I found it to be unstable when pushing hard in the steeps at speed. On the other hand the Mindbender is quite stable at speed, presumably the titanal y beam. Does Blossom measure their skis based on straight tape pull? In other words are they like K2 were a 179 is a 179 or other manufactures where a 178 is really a 176 and a 184 is a 182? Thanks for the thoughts.

everyone has a different way to measure, but most do a pull based on the "pre-rockered" length of a ski. In the case of the Blossom Cross Wind, there may some form or hint of rocker but I cant find it. I will post up an actual tip-to-tail "straight pull" measurement later.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Crosswind and all Blossoms I have skied, ski "true to length".

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Has anybody skied this and a Blizzard Brahma and can compare? I am considering a few other skis in this width range (Enforcer 88, new old stock Monster 88, Fischer RC One), but seeing as there are closeout deals, these intrigue me, and I've demoed the Brahmas so it's my best point of comparison in this width range.

Skier@NY

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
How's this compare to MX84? I'm debating if I should pull the trigger on them.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
How's this compare to MX84? I'm debating if I should pull the trigger on them.
wow, this poor guy (@Skier@NY ) has been waiting a long time for this! The MX84 is noticeably stiffer throughout the ski. The MX84 is a superb ski It's damp, quiet, packed chock-full-o-energy and pop and a freight train when you want it to be. It really has no speed limit. very quick and positive edge/tip engagement. It demands competency and dont even bother if you are a back seat driver/heel pusher. Can you ski it in the bumps? Yes, but its not a ton of fun. The Blossom is not as demanding and the extreme tip/tails have more flex enabling them to be worked more, so I prefer the Blossom design as it most closely aligns to what I like in a ski. the blossom isn't as quiet but it has more snow feel and feedback. Again, I like this trait. if I am skiing fast and feeling strong, I take out my Augment 77, which is closer to the MX84 in stiffness (nothing is as quiet and fast as an Augment) but when ripping around the frontside, bumps and groomers, the added flex in the tip/tail at the very end, allows you to change up pressure on different turn radius, be a little more aggressive in the bumps. in general, it adds to the personality of the ski.

Sponsor