• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Blossom Numero Uno N°1 SC

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yup, would definitely agree it is not a good match on Blossom. Too bad, since other vendors seem to be able to get their 70-80mm wide 175-179cm length carving skis to work fine for folks my height and weight.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I don't see why a 6', 210 pound guy would be on a 176.
Don't blame the ski when you are on the wrong size for your mass.
A Whiteout in 176 is only about 5% less stiff than my Rossi Hero M18's in 176 but they are very different skis from course oriented skis.

This idea of choosing ski lengths based on skier weight really needs to be eradicated from the minds of all skiers and the ski industry. Choosing the correct ski flex is based on skier weight and ski speeds (forces being generated), but the ski length isn't dictated by your weight. We have really big dudes skiing 165 SL skis on the World Cup. How do you think that works? Oh yeah, those skis are really stiff. ;)

Pick ski length based on what you need the ski to do (turn radius, trees, moguls, whatever...). Choose the ski model based on your physical attributes and your skiing style/aggressiveness, snow preferences, etc.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
My comment wa
This idea of choosing ski lengths based on skier weight really needs to be eradicated from the minds of all skiers and the ski industry. Choosing the correct ski flex is based on skier weight and ski speeds (forces being generated), but the ski length isn't dictated by your weight. We have really big dudes skiing 165 SL skis on the World Cup. How do you think that works? Oh yeah, those skis are really stiff. ;)

Pick ski length based on what you need the ski to do (turn radius, trees, moguls, whatever...). Choose the ski model based on your physical attributes and your skiing style/aggressiveness, snow preferences, etc.

My comment was model specific.
For every ski model, each length will work well with a specific skier weight and ability.
If you want to ski slalom, you will be on a 165 but if you weigh 220 it will be so stiff a 170 pound guy couldn't ski it well.
We are really saying the same thing but you overgeneralize when you say skier weight isn't a prime consideration when picking a ski.
Some ski models aren't a fit for skiers who are at the extremes of the skier weight distribution. (Blossom #1SC for example)
Some skis come in different flexes so a skier can pick the model/length they want then tune the flex for their mass and ability.
At the highest levels of racing, flex distribution becomes a variable and that's why WC level skiers start a season with so many pairs of identical looking skis, all with the same length and radius.
Since Americans are so damn heavy, I see a lot of intermediate guys on skis that are just too soft to work well.
IMO, picking a ski is a three dimensional matrix with type of use, ability, and mass being the inputs.
Height is a secondary input but not unimportant.
So is sex but I'm not going there.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
My comment wa

My comment was model specific.
For every ski model, each length will work well with a specific skier weight and ability.
If you want to ski slalom, you will be on a 165 but if you weigh 220 it will be so stiff a 170 pound guy couldn't ski it well.
We are really saying the same thing but you overgeneralize when you say skier weight isn't a prime consideration when picking a ski.
Some ski models aren't a fit for skiers who are at the extremes of the skier weight distribution. (Blossom #1SC for example)
Some skis come in different flexes so a skier can pick the model/length they want then tune the flex for their mass and ability.
At the highest levels of racing, flex distribution becomes a variable and that's why WC level skiers start a season with so many pairs of identical looking skis, all with the same length and radius.
Since Americans are so damn heavy, I see a lot of intermediate guys on skis that are just too soft to work well.
IMO, picking a ski is a three dimensional matrix with type of use, ability, and mass being the inputs.
Height is a secondary input but not unimportant.
So is sex but I'm not going there.

I never said that skier weight isn't a consideration when "picking a ski". That's actually exactly what I said - when you're picking the ski model that is a consideration. I said that length isn't what you match to weight; it's the ski flex that is matched to the skier.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
F=m * a.
Length is matched to the type of skiing and, to some degree, how tall the skier is.
But if the flex isn't matched to the skier's weight, things won't work well.
Where I see problems is in the rental side of things where they slam folks into skis based on height (shoulder or head high) and ignore mass.
Rental skis are soft anyway and when they put a 5'6", 200 pound guy on a pair of 160ish skis, that guy won't make much progress.
" This idea of choosing ski lengths based on skier weight really needs to be eradicated from the minds of all skiers and the ski industry. "
I think what needs to be eradicated is the idea that any single variable defines the optimum ski for a given situation.

Sponsor