• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 DPS Alchemist Wailer 100 RP

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I am coming around to DPS's lighter Alchemist construction, first the Cassiar 79 Trainer and now the Wailer 100 RP. I really like the all-new Wailer design in the 100mm width. Usually when a manufacturer goes back to the well and makes a shape or design either narrower or wider, it is met with limited success, say 50% or so; the Wailer 100 and its lemon yellow coloring has DPS coming up roses.

When comparing the Alchemist with the value-priced Foundation, you will find a noticeable difference in feel on the snow. The 15m radius works well with the lighter and more playful Alchemist carbon build; where some light skis get bounced around, the Wailer 100 remains solid on the snow. I have more than a few days on these in various conditions and they have yet to disappoint.

Insider tip: Don't forget to have Phantom applied when you order yours.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
Yes, you still need to have deep pockets if you want to step up to the Alchemist construction, but it is well worth the price of admission.
Who is it not for?
The frugal, but don't worry, the Foundation construction is a less expensive option.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
  4. Park/Pipe
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 179, 184, 189
Dimensions
134-100-119
Radius
15m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: It's right in the name: RP=Resort Powder. I've spent the last two days on the 100mm offering from DPS at Steamboat and it didn't disappoint. We received a considerable dump of over 40" on some parts of the mountain and skied fresh and skier tracked Colorado blower powder. The 100RP is just at home in the trees as the soft bumps on day two after the dump. Mounted with Salomon Shift bindings (which provide a very smooth release, btw :ogbiggrin: :rolleyes:) the light setup proved very nimble and made quick direction changes a breeze. What really surprised me was how stable they are on soft groomed and skier packed runs making big GS-style turns at speed, even with the 16ish meter radius sidecut of the 184cm ski. Snappy turns are easy and the skis beg to be tossed and slipped around as needed. They also track quite well when just running straight at speed. Floatation in deeper untracked is great as long as your speed is kept up; a lighter skier will have no problem with floating in the top few inches of snow.
20210207_093050.jpg

Sponsor