• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 DPS Pagoda Piste 94 C2

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Next year I was thinking of getting a do-everything ski for west coast trips that can handle some on and off piste fun. I was narrowing in on Enforcer 94. How would you compare the Enforcer and Pagoda as a west trip OSQ? Thanks in advance.
I really like it a lot. I would put the Piste 94 up against anything in this class. I do like the subtle graphics and a gold pivot 15 will look awesome on it.

MNF

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I really like it a lot. I would put the Piste 94 up against anything in this class. I do like the subtle graphics and a gold pivot 15 will look awesome on it.

Will need to see if I could get on a pair for a few laps.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone ski these that also skied the new Volkl M6? Skiessentials put up a pretty sweet review of the new M6 just recently, very appealing.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone close to the industry heard anything about DPS possibly making the Pagoda Piste with the C2 shaping in a thinner waist? Or is that 94cm kind of a magical sizing for the shape/style of the ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone close to the industry heard anything about DPS possibly making the Pagoda Piste with the C2 shaping in a thinner waist? Or is that 94cm kind of a magical sizing for the shape/style of the ski?
I doubt they will. DPS is coming to the conclusion that they are not a skinny ski (sub 90mm) company.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt they will. DPS is coming to the conclusion that they are not a skinny ski (sub 90mm) company.
I like it when businesses know what they care about and what they're good at. I like it when they don't try to be all things to all people. Ski companies. Restaurants. Whatever.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wasn't the Cassiar line up in the 82 and 87 waist width pretty well received? Kind of a bummer to see them give up on skinny skis when they've made some pretty interesting offerings. I wonder if its just the nature of the carbon fiber, needs a certain mass/surface area to give the feel they want out of their brand...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wasn't the Cassiar line up in the 82 and 87 waist width pretty well received? Kind of a bummer to see them give up on skinny skis when they've made some pretty interesting offerings. I wonder if its just the nature of the carbon fiber, needs a certain mass/surface area to give the feel they want out of their brand...
Sadly, they were not. As far as the Trainer 79, I don't think they sold two dozen pairs.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 82 and 87 also came in the Foundation build which were a traditional layup. I really liked both with the 87 eeking out my favorite. It is a bummer they're moving away from those widths but they made their name with the wider skis and are "going home". I don't think they ever caught in in the lower widths in a big way. Too many established players in a field where DPS is a relative unknown.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: March 11th, we hit up Squaw thinking we may find a few fresh stashes. The conditions did not disappoint. This was a rare day when Silverado was running so we took advantage and skied boot top soft snow, and although the area was skied, the Pagoda Piste 94 did everything I asked of it, turning through the chopped powder, float in the fresh, played in the moguls and held an edge on the lower terrain.
Piste, off-piste, everywhere you want to go.
Worlds I'd use to describe this ski is, light, nimble, floaty, turny, playful and confident.

Last edited:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Long Term Update: March 11th, we hit up Squaw thinking we may find a few fresh stashes. The conditions did not disappoint. This was a rare day when Silverado was running so we took advantage and skied boot top soft snow, and although the area was skied, the Pagoda Piste 94 did everything I asked of it, turning through the chopped powder, float in the fresh, played in the moguls and held an edge on the lower terrain.
Piste, off-piste, everywhere you want to go.
Worlds I'd use to describe this ski is, light, nimble, floaty, turny, playful and confident.
Still consider it a top of the line, upper category player?

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I sure do.
Welp, I bought them. Just never mounted it up, so it'll be a 2022 player for sure. Did I need them? Nope. But dammit, I wanted them. Looking forward to getting on them. Going to put some pivot 15's on them.

What're your thoughts on mount position? I was thinking about moving it forward by 1 or 1.5 because I like turns and feel like with the long sidecut of the C2 shaping it might help make these a little more playful vs GS style. Thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welp, I bought them. Just never mounted it up, so it'll be a 2022 player for sure. Did I need them? Nope. But dammit, I wanted them. Looking forward to getting on them. Going to put some pivot 15's on them.

What're your thoughts on mount position? I was thinking about moving it forward by 1 or 1.5 because I like turns and feel like with the long sidecut of the C2 shaping it might help make these a little more playful vs GS style. Thoughts?
Need? Nobody needs skis..Want? Yes, these are a must want. Gold Pivot 15's will LOOK awesome on them. I have them mounted on the line and that works great.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I took the DPS Piste Pagoda 94 out yesterday at Squaw to get a refresher on the ski. The Piste is definitely a strong performer on piste, but shines in the bumps and trees off piste. The tip and tail shape, rocker, and rise work together to give a surfy, quick feel in the softening spring conditions. Very light swing weight at the ends of the ski make for even easier transitions in turn shape. Though the stated turn radius is fairly long at 19.5 meters in the 185 length, it doesn't feel that long.

The Pagoda Piste prefers a more neutral "ride on" stance which I have found with other DPS models. While the ski can be pushed and driven, it is unnecessary to do so in most conditions. Light pressure on the front of the boot gives quick and easy response. Let the ski do the work when looking for a carved turn. Slipping and slarving are super easy and make for a fun time on snow that is transitioning from firm to soft and then from soft to slurpy. Though light in weight, the Pagoda Piste has a smooth, calm on-snow feel with very little chatter or unpleasant feedback. Refined would be a good descriptor.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't know if this is ok or not, but an additional review that I really enjoyed on this ski can be seen here. The footage of the guy slipping and slarving into butters and what not really back up Andy's comments. Can't wait to get on it, looks like it's going to be a lot of all mountain!

2021 DPS Pagoda 94 Ski Review | Curated - YouTube

Sponsor