• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Dynastar M-Pro 99

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: At first glance you might think the new M-Pro 99 is just a warmed-over Legend (which was considered a warmed-over Cham), but that is not the case. Dynastar is doubling down on the extended tip rise with the new M-Pro collection, but it is the construction that sets the new skis apart from their predecessors. There is a solid connection that I haven’t felt from an Dynastar in this category in forever ... maybe ever. What I really liked is its ability to make any turn shape and its stability at speed. I also like the clean, understated graphics.
  • Insider tip: The M-Pros demand the all-new Pivot 15, in gold.

Awards
Who is it for?
Chargers who don’t need to charge all the time.
Who is it not for?
Those who disdain tip flop. While the tip does move a bit, and you can see it, that doesn’t mean you feel it. Either way, you shouldn’t be looking at your tips anyhow.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
162, 170, 178, 186
Dimensions
127-99-117
Radius
20m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug Did you ski the 178 or 186? If you were buying a pair for yourself, what length would you go with ?
I skied the 178. I usually ski a size down from the longest length. I will say, I initially thought the 178 would feel short but it does not. If I still weighed 200+ I might want the 186, but at 185...the 178 was right.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
53600F39-C0B0-440B-95CF-796C4D418AF1.jpeg Long term update: I played with the new M-Pro 99 at Squaw Valley this week and another day on this new Dynastar solidified how I felt about it, damn solid. Past Dynastar's had a label of being light and chattery, not the case with the new M-Pros. Even with Dynastar's signature elongated tip, this new offering was extremely solid and quite on the firm snow and even the early season irregular snow didn't phase it one bit. Where the new tip was a design enhancement was in the big undulating bumps down the face of Red Dog.

@Scotty I. asked earlier about length, I am on the 178cm and normally a 178 with this long tip would feel short and nervous but the M-Pro's beefy construction kept the ski planted. If I was still 200 plus on the scale, I might have preferred the 186cm, but at my svelt 187 pounds, the 178cm was surprisingly good.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: I did a morning on the M-Pro 99 at Mt. Rose after a small infusion of fresh snow. At first I was fighting with the ski to determine who was in charge. After that was settled (it wasn't me, at least at first), I was able to pilot the ski much more easily. The M-Pro is very stable yet it can be worked around in the cut up left overs or just pushed right through them. On the return-to-lift groomers it doesn't exhibit the overt tip flap of the outgoing Legend 96 on which I spent some time. As @Philpug mentioned above, the tip DOES move but it's not intrusive to feeling stable at speed; the ski doesn't need to be kept on edge on groomers to be comfortable. Keep in mind it has a much longer radius at 20m than the 96's 16ish meter sidecut. I'm looking forward to making some more turns on this ski as the season progresses and conditions wax and wane.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I neglected to update the M-Pro 99 from my last day. While the shape of the new Dynastar is similar to previous models like the Legends and Cham's, the M-Pro 99 ski nothing like these previous generations. These new M-Pro's have a level of tenacity that was missing prior. Where there is a balance is that while these skis are a lot stronger, the sweetspot might have been reduced some, it has not disappeared.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Couple more days on these. The only other ski I’ve been on in a couple of years is the Stockli SR95 (184). My M-pros are 186. So, first day had a little bit of learning curve, more tail out back than used to. Couple runs = all good. They had better grip on chalky, skied off groomers than my SR95’s - probably due to the tune. Didn’t really notice the tip moving. Have a nice quiet demeanor when on edge, better the more you drive the tips. Seemed pretty damp. First day got pretty warm so, pretty fun in soft bumps. Maybe a bit more playful than the Stockli’s. Second day, hard refreeze so didn’t venture off-piste after my first trip onto the coral reef. Same same, still enjoying them. Brought my Stockli’s, still have not skied them.

2-4 inches on day 3, depending on aspect. Fun ski in soft snow (even over refrozen crust). easy to make fun little turns bouncing off edge of run and popping back in, even if they do have a 20m radius— tips are fairly soft. This did have one negative aspect - you just can’t point them at any larger piles of snow and expect them to bulldoze through. They don’t fold up, but you need to pay attention. This was the only real area where I felt the SR95’s are superior - but I didn’t pay +$1k - and the M-Pro 99 is about 90% of the performance. Still digging them. Plus, you don’t see a ton on the hill <- which I kind of like.

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
Philpug: At first glance you might think the new M-Pro 99 is just a warmed-over Legend (which was considered a warmed-over Cham), but that is not the case. Dynastar is doubling down on the extended tip rise with the new M-Pro collection, but it is the construction that sets the new skis apart from their predecessors. There is a solid connection that I haven’t felt from an Dynastar in this category in forever ... maybe ever. What I really liked is its ability to make any turn shape and its stability at speed. I also like the clean, understated graphics.
  • Insider tip: The M-Pros demand the all-new Pivot 15, in gold.
Hey Phil,

Did a big demo day today (Mantra M5s, QST 99s, M Pro 99s, Enforcer 100s, Rossi BlackOps Senders) and LOVED these M Pros. I'm 6'2", 175 and skied on the 178s, which with the big tip rocker made them quite short for me. If I buy my own, I'd definitely get the 186s. Maybe I'm overthinking, but any other skis I should consider? I didn't really love any of the others I skied today. They all just felt heavy, slow edge to edge (minus the Mantras which got hooked up and WOULD NOT LET GO), and rather...flat. Been reading a lot about the M Pro's being approachable but still rewarding good skiing. As a fairly new skier (6th season), but just finished my first year on volunteer patrol, I'd like something that continues to push me to be a better skier. Am I giving something up by going with these vs something really burly like the Mantras or a Bonafide (which was the one on my list of want-to-test that they didn't have).

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Scored a screaming deal on them after all the raving and hype here and over at TGR. Will report back impressions once I tried them but it won't be before early next season.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Anybody on their M-pro 99s this season? I think I’m going to take them on my next trip and put down the Swiss raclette skis for a bit of French tartiflette.

RonG

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
View attachment 116556 Long term update: I played with the new M-Pro 99 at Squaw Valley this week and another day on this new Dynastar solidified how I felt about it, damn solid. Past Dynastar's had a label of being light and chattery, not the case with the new M-Pros. Even with Dynastar's signature elongated tip, this new offering was extremely solid and quite on the firm snow and even the early season irregular snow didn't phase it one bit. Where the new tip was a design enhancement was in the big undulating bumps down the face of Red Dog.

@Scotty I. asked earlier about length, I am on the 178cm and normally a 178 with this long tip would feel short and nervous but the M-Pro's beefy construction kept the ski planted. If I was still 200 plus on the scale, I might have preferred the 186cm, but at my svelt 187 pounds, the 178cm was surprisingly good.

Hey Phil -

Super helpful. I'm stuck in between the 170 and the 178 on this ski, having had the opportunity to ski the 170 on a spring-y day at Squaw last weekend.

I'm a little bit smaller than you at 140lb. Do you still feel like the 178 was the right size for you at 187lbs?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey Phil -

Super helpful. I'm stuck in between the 170 and the 178 on this ski, having had the opportunity to ski the 170 on a spring-y day at Squaw last weekend.

I'm a little bit smaller than you at 140lb. Do you still feel like the 178 was the right size for you at 187lbs?
I do feel the 178 is right for me.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Still into these skis. I did really, I mean take file to them, detune the tails from the widest part back then hit them with a gummi. I thought the tails hung up a bit, but that’s just me. <- I mounted my Enforcers 1.5 back. Not ready to let loose of the Skockli SR95s but seriously would grab either any day.

BTW - tough bases, the top of Rendevous Bowl is basically gravel fight now. No damage so far. JH needs some snow but makes for walk-on trams on Mondays

E6824C49-FB13-4D4B-96FE-EA3E366DBB93.jpeg

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Another year and these still are fun. I cant even remember the last time I skied the Stockli’s - these are just fine and a bit more fun.

5E2619D5-36F8-47A6-B204-8D1925D3C223.jpeg

Sponsor