• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Elan Wingman 86 CTi

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The all-new Wingman 86 CTi is the wide, long-turning charger to the 82 CTi's narrower-waisted, short-turning fun machine -- and I say this in context. Yes, the 86 CTi wants to run, but the Amphibio design lets the ski ease into a turn. Think of it as an SUV with four-wheel steering.

Insider tip: These are also available flat.​

Andy Mink: Elan carries its Amphibio technology (camber on the inside edges of the tip and tail, rocker under the outside edges of tip and tail) into its Wingman series of skis. The outside ski initiates turns easily, and the inside ski follows along without hooking or otherwise trying to take over. On steeper, firmer snow, I found myself wanting a little more input from the inside ski. The Wingman CTi behaved itself well in bumps and, while narrow, still managed to work shallow powder without any unwanted excitement. The carbon rods add a bit more pop and liveliness to the CTi than the Ti.

Insider tip: These are dedicated left/right skis. If you flop ‘em down and click in without looking, your rides won’t be consistent.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
Big-toe skiers; the Amphibio design lends itself to pressuring the downhill ski. Someone looking for an easy, all-around resort ski.
Who is it not for?
The skier who wants both skis to behave similarly in a turn; two-footed bump skiers.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
160, 166, 172, 178, 184
Dimensions
130-86-115
Radius
16.5m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I will update my above review. For whatever reason, I was not blown away by the CTi on the day of the testing in early 2019. Then I skied them for the entire Gathering at JHMR and Grand Targhee, plus a few additional days locally at Mt. Rose.

I. LOVE. THESE. SKIS. They are so good in so many conditions. They carve well, have a speed limit that is faster than I wish to travel, do well in bumps, leftovers, and even shin deep fresh. After getting used to the Amphibio for more than a couple of runs, it becomes invisible. The Ripstick kind of gets the majority of the props, but don't let that scare you away from the Wingman. It really does fall into the K2 Recon Syndrome category.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Validation is so sweet.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Some deals starting to be around on these so I'm looking, and these sound very promising for what I'm looking for. Do these ski pretty true to size? I'm thinking my size would be 172 but not sure. For reference, I'm 5'8", 145lb and have a pair of narrow carvers in 172 and Fischer Rangers in 177.

Sponsor