• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Elan Wingman 86 Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The 86 Ti is the version for moderate-speed skiers who like to make a rounder turn; without the carbon to add strength, the 86 Ti is much more relaxed than its carbon-infused bigger brother.

Insider tip: A good ski to go with a demo binding.​

Ron: I haven't skied Elan in a while so I was pleasantly surprised when I clicked in. The left/right-specific Wingman has a nice damp, glued-to-the-snow feel. I found it quite stable and smooth with a lot of pop and energy out of short- to medium-radius turns. The 178 does ski short, and I felt the mounting point was too far forward by about 1 cm.

Insider tip: Demo first, and don't be afraid to size up. Start off at the suggested mount point but also try moving the bindings back. (See your technician for assistance with doing this properly.)​
Review updated from 2020

Who is it for?
Moderate skiers who like to make a rounder turn; intermediates and up seeking something more fun than serious.
Who is it not for?
Chargers. For those who pressure the inside ski, the Amphibio design can be a bit vague.
Skier ability
  1. Beginner/Novice
  2. Intermediate
  3. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
160, 166, 172, 178, 184
Dimensions
130-86-115
Radius
16.5m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
Had my first day on these today. I'm 5'6" 140 lbs Advanced skier. I debated over the green machine 86 cti or these ti. After reading reviews I went this route and glad I did. This was my first ever time on Elan skis with this technology and for me I can't "feel" it but it just plain works. The tips transition into a turn so easy and the now inside ski just follows along perfectly. So smooth and effortless.

I skied on piste hard scrapped with about 2-3" new from yesterday and last night. Some have said these Wingman skis are fast and I totally agree with that. You don't have to go fast on them but if you want to they will fly effortlessly. I used a ski app for one run just to see what my speeds were and I had a top speed of 47 and I'm guessing the entire run once I got going was low 40's. No issue at all just get it on edge and let it do its thing. So much fun. I don't know what the limit is but I could have taken it up another notch. I skied 36,000 vertical ft and my legs were ready for more at days end. Normally my legs would be rubber at that point but I had more runs left in me come days end.

I think I know why it is called the Wingman. I'm not sure what causes it but when you get off the lift and start going they have a whine noise to them like a jet turbine is firing up until you get to about 10 mph.

I highly recommend people try these Wingman series skis out. They way they can link turns together so effortless is poetry in motion.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
Forgot to add that I bought them flat and mounted them with Look Pivots at the line and they seemed perfectly fine on the line for me.

Sponsor