• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

James

Out There
Instructor
Thought you sold those Menace 98 skis years ago?
Yep. 186 too, likely would’ve been popular on tgr. They can have that brain dead golden retriever. But it’s different if you want to pop off features and butter everything.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep. 186 too, likely would’ve been popular on tgr. They can have that brain dead golden retriever. But it’s different if you want to pop off features and butter everything.
Don’t know what was up with your pair as most people like me complained that they weren’t as fun till at least 40mph on groomers. Most 187cm owners live at 40-50mph which they loved. Incredibly stable ski with it’s 25m radius that felt like more and very long effective edge so great grip even on firm snow.

Tips weren’t as good as other similar skis going over crud and with its flatter tail rocker and splay so not as easy off trail as other twins so that’s why I got rid of mine.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did a full hand tune on my new Blackops 98 after their grind and did the same on the CT 1.0 after patching some rock damage from out West and grinding those too.
Before packing them back up in ski bags I was comparing the two and even clicked into boots and did some “stomping and swing weight tests” to compare. Brought out the CT 2.0 to compare as well.

Incredibly similar shapes with the BO 98 being more directional with a mount point further back(around -5cm) with a similar rocker profile to the CT 1.0(CT 2.0 deeper rocker). Sidecut length maybe a hair longer on the BO 98 even though it actual tape measure length is shorter(179.5cm vs 181cm on the CT skis).

Flex patter the largest difference with the BO 98 having the more traditional softer tip/tail and ramping up underfoot vs the 21 CT’s stiff tip/tail and small rise in stiffness underfoot. The softer tips/tails of the BO 98 seem to absorb shocks a bit better but I’m sure they will deflect more in crud than the CT skis. Swing weight is lighter in the BO 98 especially compared to the 220gr heavier CT 2.0.

Think the BO 98 should be a bit more forgiving in bumps and easier at slower speeds but sacrificing some stability and willingness to REALLY charge vs the CT skis.

Bet I’ll prefer the CT skis back at home where the groomers are more open and afternoon crud is very common. Think I’ll like the BO 98 out West where I’m often in bump and tree runs or groomers with crossing cat tracks so speed has to be reduced. Should be a great daily driver compliment to the BO 118.

IMG_4641.jpeg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi gang,

As promised, I wrote a review of my Agents 3.0, in case anybody is interested:

Cheers!