• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 21 CT 3.0x is stiffer and 200gr heavier(300gr heavier than the 180cm Kore 99) than the 22 version but the 21 is not in their system to compare.

Think/know something must be up with the tune and betting the base is slightly base high causing issues. The CT 3.0 should be easily embarrassing the kores so something is definitely up here.
Well they will need a base grind after this weekend. Not sure how it happened but I banged up an edge pretty well on them. I will have them out again this weekend. Loveland has a pretty darn good tuner, featured in a few rags and from a hill I used to race at. I’ll have him check them out on Sat.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is this marked on the ski or do we need to specify when mounting?
Just the Candide triangle is marked on any of the CT skis, so I usually get masking tape to measure from the top of that tape down to your required measurements. So, 1.5cm down in your case and then I line up the middle of the triangle with the top of the tape.

posted pics a few weeks ago with a -3cm example in that case.

-1.5cm back from the CT line so about 3.4cm back from true Center on the 165cm CT 1.0 which is close to the factory Chronic line. I never quote “back from Center” as it’s always easier to work forward or back of the manufacturers recommended points. You should always do a quick tape measure from the tail to the marks on the two skis to make sure they match though.

Yes, only mount on the CT line is you’re doing mostly park and back from the line if you’re skiing outside of the park at all.

Have seen some skier and even reviewers online moving to true Center or far ahead of the CT/New School line on the 21 CT and more directional Prodigy skis and then they complain about float or carving performance…….:huh:

Did some pics yesterday for a new CT owner for what I do for marking mounting points so there’s no confusion for the binding techs.

I get a wide piece of masking tape and then measure down from the top of tape if moving back(CT ski) and up from the bottom if moving forward(Prodigy ski) the amount of CM I want to move off the mount.
Measure across a few spots and create a straight line. Write “Boot Center” with an arrow to the line and then simply line up the recommended mark with the top or bottom of the tape and you’re done!
In the case yesterday, it was backwards from the line on a CT ski, so like the top of the tape through the middle of the Faction triangle mount indicator.
View attachment 153212 View attachment 153213
View attachment 153214

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
my need to really power my tips through my boots.
This is exactly the issue with what I had with my base high Volkl Deacon 72 so now I’m even more certain that’s the issue.
With a base high ski you never feel balanced and stable on them and are always fighting them it seems. Making perfect sense now.

Stone grind to flatten them and reset the edges and they will feel like a different ski. My Deacons didn’t look bad when I checked them but skied horribly before a grind.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Just the Candide triangle is marked on any of the CT skis, so I usually get masking tape to measure from the top of that tape down to your required measurements. So, 1.5cm down in your case and then I line up the middle of the triangle with the top of the tape.

posted pics a few weeks ago with a -3cm example in that case.
We ended up mounting my daughters CT3.0 and the manufacturers recommended mounting point. While it will be her deep pow ski, she will also use it for freeride and plans on hitting a lot of natural features. While not park skiing she will be featuring off the terrain, doing 360s and maybe even a flip or two so felt it best to go with the recommended mounting point.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Would be a bit easier to spin at the CT mark so that will work just fine because she’s a less “traditional” skier and won’t need the added float of moving the mount back like a larger skier would.

dovski

Skier
Would be a bit easier to spin at the CT mark so that will work just fine because she’s a less “traditional” skier and won’t need the added float of moving the mount back like a larger skier would.
Yeah when I see her and the other kids on her Freeride team skiing it is something else. We certainly did not ski like that when I was a teen.

This weekend was a warm one and a natural jump formed off chair 2 at Alpental at the bottom of The Fan. All the Freeride kids were hitting and getting crazy air. Was watching with a ski patrol and we were both amazed and relieved that no one needed a toboggan ride off the hill.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw Faction saying they are “retiring the CT 5.0” as it was his usually ski used in most of his videos but no word on all the other CT models which makes me wonder if they are just changing the model names on the other models for next year?

Be interesting to see what Candide himself does as I’m sure he could easily build skis under his name and design at the Fisher plants or the Amer/Atomic plant.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
For nine years, until 2018, apparently. Then 5.0.

Man, this is history at its best.
It’s almost a Bibby like ski that was tweaked over the years where the original CT 4.0 in 2013 was 122mm underfoot then went down to 118mm underfoot. They released the CT 5.0 in 2019 which is basically a new build of the original 122mm CT 4.0. Dropped the CT 4.0 a few years back after the CT 3.0 went from 108mm to 112mm.

So the old CT 4.0 and the 2019 on CT 5.0 are usually called “Candide’s personal ski” as they are what he most often skis.

dovski

Skier
It’s almost a Bibby like ski that was tweaked over the years where the original CT 4.0 in 2013 was 122mm underfoot then went down to 118mm underfoot. They released the CT 5.0 in 2019 which is basically a new build of the original 122mm CT 4.0. Dropped the CT 4.0 a few years back after the CT 3.0 went from 108mm to 112mm.

So the old CT 4.0 and the 2019 on CT 5.0 are usually called “Candide’s personal ski” as they are what he most often skis.
Let’s look on the bright side , come end of season there may be some great deals on any leftover CT skis. I think I see a CT3.0 in my future

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Let’s look on the bright side , come end of season there may be some great deals on any leftover CT skis. I think I see a CT3.0 in my future
The ones you want are the 21 versions which are hardto come by now except in the 178cm length.

Already heard rumours a month or so ago that Faction is doing a “all mountain freestyle ski” along with the Prodigy to replace the CT line. Wouldn’t shock me if it’s pretty similar to the existing CT line but hoping it’s heavier than the 22 CT versions. :crossfingers:

Still waiting on the Rossignol Black Ops 110 and to see more specs on the new Nordica Unleashed 108(and 98) as they could be fun too!

And I’d sell my 21 CT eventually using the “Vintage” tag line like older Chanel clothing…..lol

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did an interesting exercise on the https://compareskis.shinyapps.io/co...d_rows=[453,567,3543,4469,4679]&tab="Compare" website. SoothSki Data. I compared the Faction 2021 skis to the 2022 skis. They have limited choices, but I could get the CT 2.0's and I think some CT1.0 and CT3.0. From what I could tell, the 2022's are lighter, are actually significantly stiffer lengthwise, and not as stiff torsionally. It kind of surprised me and it made me wonder how they will ski, being stiffer. To me, the 2021 are pretty stiff flexing skis, but they do bend in the middle nicely to make them feel good. You can look at average stiffness data points and also can see stiffness for every 20% of length of the skis. Not what I expected.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1642482685449.png

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
From what I could tell, the 2022's are lighter, are actually significantly stiffer lengthwise, and not as stiff torsionally. It kind of surprised me and it made me wonder how they will ski, being stiffer.
Remember doing the same comparison awhile ago and made sense as the 22 versions have gone to carbon fibre for core reinforcement on the CT models and have dropped using the 2 sheets of metal underfoot like the 21 CT 1.0 and 2.0(one on the CT 3.0 and 5.0).
So like many skis that are offered in a Ca and Ti version, their flex longitudinal is similar or sometimes stiffer in the Ca version but the metal version will always resist torsional bending better.
Also the weight higher and dampening better in the Ti versions along with quieter on the snow with no rubber dampening in the 22 versions.

So they won’t be as damp, will be noisier on the snow and won’t hold an edge as well especially on the 1.0 and 2.0 versions. That’s when I started stocking up on 21s! Lol

21 CT 2.0 is the softest flex of the group so the CT 1.0 and 3.0 might not be as big a difference longitudinal flex wise this year. The 21 CT 3.0 had the one sheet of metal underfoot and no extra rubber so it loses the least weight and might be just a bit better torsionally vs the 22.

Skiing my torsionally rigid 21 CT 1.0 and 2.0 today!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Where's he going to land? and will whomever that is do a signature line of skis? His own ski company to go with his clothing company??
Dunno, his jackets look nice but they are pricey and fit a little loose From what I’ve read

they got good reviews on Blister though.
IMO if his clothing sales are doing really well he begins his own equipment line; if not, you will see him sign on with a major player. I think Head would be perfect for him and from what I have read they are committed to big mountain/freeride at the moment. Maybe wishful thinking Lol And totally interjecting hope trying to will it so, HA

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
. I think Head would be perfect for him and from what I have read they are committed to big mountain/freeride at the moment.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Lol

You want poor Candide going from the best to worst freeride skis out there?
Someone on Newschoolers were teasing he’s going to be riding Soul 7s now so basically Kores…haha

Could see him doing his own skis along with the clothing line with someone else making the skis like Faction does. Hoping

Sponsor