• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
95mm brake is better on the CT 2.0 but 110mm will work if you bend them in a bit. 110mm brake works on the CT 3.0 and even on my 118mm Wildcats.

Yellow or Red looks on both skis and green always a fun colour on any ski.
Corbetts.com has deals on the all them but remember it’s really good on the green 110mm or 95mm in the 2019 versions. Same binding but more black along with the green in the graphics which looks very good on a lot of skis. $149.99 CAN/$120 US for the 2019 green.

Last edited:

chinochulo

Booting up
Skier
95mm brake is better on the CT 2.0 but 110mm will work if you bend them in a bit. 110mm brake works on the CT 3.0 and even on my 118mm Wildcats.

Yellow or Red looks on both skis and green always a fun colour on any ski.
Corbetts.com has deals on the all them but remember it’s really good on the green 110mm or 95mm in the 2019 versions. Same binding but more black along with the green in the graphics which looks very good on a lot of skis. $149.99 CAN/$120 US for the 2019 green.
95mm brake on a 102mm underfoot ski?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
95mm brake on a 102mm underfoot ski?
Yes, they are Tyrolia brakes are good on much wider skis than their specs. Have had the 95mm brakes on 101-103mm wide skis without rubbing and the 118mm just squeeze by on the 110mm brake.

Better to have “tight to the ski” brakes Vs ones too big that can catch each other or your ski pants.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My CT 2.0 with 95mm brakes that haven’t been touched.

474D66F2-01A9-412D-B3BA-B37BB54D07B4.jpeg

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought 173 CT 2.0x and Attack2 with 110 brakes. Now thinking about getting the 178 CT 3.0x as well. Would 110 brakes also fit the 3.0x? The other question is should I get yellow or green bindings lol? I didn't think the green would look good until I saw the photos on this thread...
They look great lol. Compliments from strangers, it’s weird

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The other question is should I get yellow or green bindings lol? I didn't think the green would look good until I saw the photos on this thread...

Would you buy a green or yellow Ferrari?
No?
What colour Ferrari would you buy?
There you go... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just got back my CT 1.0 183s from mounting Schizos on them, at - 1 BC to start with (and thus adjustment range of + 2 to - 4).
Look forward to trying them out soon (with short screw driver at the ready to move back or forward for fun, on the fly).

In another direction, I went out on a limb a few weeks back and ordered a pair of CT 3.0 190s from a ski shop in Switzerland (German speaking zone), that had their website in English, and said on the site they had 20 pairs of 3.0s in inventory, 183 and 190s. I have not heard back from them. This may have been a mistake, and I may never get the skis plus have problems; but after all the hype and anticipation, I gave it a try.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just got back my CT 1.0 183s from mounting Schizos on them, at - 1 BC to start with (and thus adjustment range of + 2 to - 4).
Look forward to trying them out soon (with short screw driver at the ready to move back or forward for fun, on the fly).

In another direction, I went out on a limb a few weeks back and ordered a pair of CT 3.0 190s from a ski shop in Switzerland (German speaking zone), that had their website in English, and said on the site they had 20 pairs of 3.0s in inventory, 183 and 190s. I have not heard back from them. This may have been a mistake, and I may never get the skis plus have problems; but after all the hype and anticipation, I gave it a try.
Good luck with the CT 3.0 and hope you end up with a pair and not out money and no skis! :geek:

The bases and edges look okay on the CT 1.0? My bases were just a bit off that I was able file flat and then set the edges at 1/3 sharp up to the widest taper points and are perfect now. Really like those skis for a fun daily driver.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. Will keep that in mind as a guideline. Great info!

I usually ski any new ski "as is," for a baseline; then modify as needed: a little more experience gained that way - especially a "before and after" comparison. But 1/3 is probable, and filing flat I'll do where needed, after that first ski.

As far as "up to the widest taper," then detuning, what I do instead is from the point one would detune, I instead increase the base bevel, a little at a time before again demoing it, in a progressive increase of that bevel from where I started increasing it. This works just as well, if not better, while maybe slightly increasing the effective edge length when the ski is laid over. No hookiness or other problems. I learned this years ago from race & freeride tuning by race & ex-race techs, and have never had a problem with it, just good results. A number of usually ex race folk and others on this website use the same technique, and have for years. There have been a lot of thread discussions of it over the years, here and on the former Epic website, in the tuning section(s).

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I only detune above any effective edge ever contacting the snow.
More of a “preventing top sheet damage” by detuning the extreme tips and tails.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski otter, make sure you put the ski on edge to mark where the effective edge ends. It's about 7" outboard of the flat contact point. More than most skis

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok so back from skiing.

picked up the Ct 3.0 from the tuner. He told me the tune was funky and there was little doubt it would have made the ski hard to ski. Needless to say I am not happy with my local shop.

took them up to 55 (ski tracks app) and they were rock solid. Great edge hold. they are fantastic in trees and on chop the like to go fast and they an slice it up like nothing. Really stable and fun. Flat out bombed a few shorter steep chopped up runs (To simulate a runout) super stable. Steep bumps nice and turny easy to pivot

I really like them a lot.
I noticed they are very stable and predictable when in the air. Almost an effortless feeling, really well balanced.

I’ll add more as I get more time on them, hopefully in deep pow at some point

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
did they setup the CT 3? or just bad factory tune?

bombing skied out bumpy stuff for shorter stretches makes you feel like Candide. but.. its so easy to stay in control with thoose skis

airtime on more center stance skis are magic

grandshervee

Booting up
Skier
I'm still drinking the kool-aid regarding my CT2.0. Just a great time on them. It just makes the whole hill fun again. Every time I get on, I say to myself, should I add more from the collection? Up or down in width?

chinochulo

Booting up
Skier
I really like them a lot.
I noticed they are very stable and predictable when in the air. Almost an effortless feeling, really well balanced.
Good to know. Just ordered a pair as well with the green bindings. Yellow would have been blinding against the white.
So now I have a pair of CT 2.0x coming today, and CT 3.0x sometime next week lol... I didn't mean to start a quiver.

chinochulo

Booting up
Skier
@GregK what are good mount points for 2.0 and 3.0? I am ~172cm or 5'8" tall, about 200#.
I am thinking -1.5cm from CT line for 2.0x (173) for more playful resort riding, and -3.0cm from CT line for the 3.0x (178) for a more all-mountain ride. Or should I also do -1.5cm for the 3.0x?