• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good stuff, thanks!

On her dictator, she is running at +1.5 / progressive point. Will definitely look into the Attack 13. I have them on my pow skis and like em but shes a big pivot 12 fan so Ill see what she thinks!
-2cm would be perfect for her then! If she’s a pivot fan, than definitely go for the 12 as it’s just a bit heavier than the Attack 13. Just didn’t want her to get super light ones if she wants to charge!
Corbetts has the Pivot 12 115mm in black or anthracite for $239.99 CAN/$195 US or Attack 13 110cm from $149.99 CAN/$120 US.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just saw EVO has Black Attack 13 110mm brake that are perfect for skis like the CT 3.0 or CT 3.0x on for $99.99 US. Great deal!

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
Just saw EVO has Black Attack 13 110mm brake that are perfect for skis like the CT 3.0 or CT 3.0x on for $99.99 US. Great deal!
I don't like get on my soap box to bash frequently, but there is a reason this binding is on sale, the toes on this model are junk with many AFD and (toe related) forward pressure issues and I'd recommend anyone who does any sort of freeride keep away, groomer life not as much a problem. imho

it's not a very good fit for the Candide line in my opinion (where the ski/binding needs to flex more than most). I've had trouble myself with the Attacks and a sister mode with the same toe design, there is nothing there to hold your toe in when the ski flexes hard.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't like get on my soap box to bash frequently, but there is a reason this binding is on sale, the toes on this model are junk with many AFD and (toe related) forward pressure issues and I'd recommend anyone who does any sort of freeride keep away, groomer life not as much a problem. imho

it's not a very good fit for the Candide line in my opinion (where the ski/binding needs to flex more than most). I've had trouble myself with the Attacks and a sister mode with the same toe design, there is nothing there to hold your toe in when the ski flexes hard.
Same with the Attack 16 toe?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
the toes on this model are junk with many AFD and (toe related) forward pressure issues
There has actually been almost no AFD or Forward pressure issues with the binding itself. There has however, been HUGE problems with techs or DIY people not properly setting up AFD height.

Most seem to miss the very important step of pulling back on the boot cuff HARD to eliminate slack before adjusting the AFD with your .5mm spacer.
I would estimate about 75% of the ones I see on the ski racks or the many I have personally adjusted are visually low. They will feel loose, reduce your confidence and actually may pre-release if not properly adjusted.

You can actually do a quick visual test on any Attack 2 toe by looking at the 2 screws above the AFD. Those screw heads are always 1/3 to 1/2 covered by the AFD that rises up and forward when adjusted properly.

Should look similar to this with boots soles varying a bit of course.

6B6F1568-DEDE-41AB-A9F7-747C540D1767.jpeg

Whenever you see a Tyrolia or Marker Griffon slammed online due to pre-releasing etc, it’s been 99.9% set up issues. Easily solved by proper adjustment which I’ve now talked people through via PMs hundreds of times now. Attack2 12/13/16 toes are all the same except spring with the 16 and 18(and now 17) having a metal heel housing.

Lots of tech training issues out there even with it clearly shown in unfortunately.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here’s a pic of what the AFD looks like before adjustment with the entire screw head above the AFD visible. Looking over any quiver pic online or at a ski rack at the hill and you will see most look like this sadly.

D3E11696-C1E8-4F37-B0C7-254C46E5139D.png

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One comment on the Attack bindings. There are several models of them, I don't know the history. I have some older ones and some demo's and the Attack2 /14 MNC one that has been around a while. The AFD position is different for the different models. I took pictures of all of them, and they are all correctly adjusted for Alpine DIN soles. I think most of mine are not the Attack2 model, and the pic that says AT on it is the 14 MNC model and its AFD ramp is opposite slope as the rest. My wifes skis are the first 2 pic's.

My own experience is they have been an excellent binding. Light weight and easy to step into. What Greg describes did happen once on my wife's skis. I don't know how, (probably my fault) but the toe AFD was way out of adjustment and my wife would loose control of her ski every so often. It came across as a pre-release. Towards the end of the season I was sharpening her skis and found the 1/4" of vertical play in the bindings. She didn't pre-release after that was corrected. I would agree with Greg, its not the binding in most cases, its the setup. Atomic shifts have a similar kind of thing with their design as well.

IMG_20220427_141802094.jpg
IMG_20220427_142043372.jpg
IMG_20220427_142414117.jpg
IMG_20220427_142457722.jpg
IMG_20220427_142422280.jpg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, the original Attack toes pictured above don’t have the same ability to just do a visual AFD check like the Attack2 GW models do. The old AFD just moves up and not up and forward like the GW versions.
Still could get pre-releases on the old ones if there’s unwanted movement because of a low AFD though.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
There has actually been almost no AFD or Forward pressure issues with the binding itself. There has however, been HUGE problems with techs or DIY people not properly setting up AFD height.

Most seem to miss the very important step of pulling back on the boot cuff HARD to eliminate slack before adjusting the AFD with your .5mm spacer.
I would estimate about 75% of the ones I see on the ski racks or the many I have personally adjusted are visually low. They will feel loose, reduce your confidence and actually may pre-release if not properly adjusted.

You can actually do a quick visual test on any Attack 2 toe by looking at the 2 screws above the AFD. Those screw heads are always 1/3 to 1/2 covered by the AFD that rises up and forward when adjusted properly.

Should look similar to this with boots soles varying a bit of course.

View attachment 167675

Whenever you see a Tyrolia or Marker Griffon slammed online due to pre-releasing etc, it’s been 99.9% set up issues. Easily solved by proper adjustment which I’ve now talked people through via PMs hundreds of times now. Attack2 12/13/16 toes are all the same except spring with the 16 and 18(and now 17) having a metal heel housing.

Lots of tech training issues out there even with it clearly shown in unfortunately.
I feel like the shop didnt set my wifes attack properly... it did test within parameters though

Attachments

• 20220427_140811.jpg
    20220427_140811.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220427_140754.jpg
    20220427_140754.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 29
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I feel like the shop didnt set my wifes attack properly... it did test within parameters though
Those are definitely low and need to come up more. They were moved up a little bit but the tech definitely didn’t eliminate slack before adjustment. These will feel loose, have slower reactions to any movements and during a twisting maneuver could pre-release.

Sent you a PM on how to adjust them!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@SpeedyKevin @In2h2o
Thought of you as I was just told of the 21 CT 3.0 in 169cm(just different Color vs the CT 3.0x) now available on the US Faction site at $439.99 US so a great deal. Here’s the link.

They also have some 21 CT 2.0 173cm available too at $399.99.

Just noticed this on the Faction site too. Not sure if it will work on these skis but wouldn’t hurt to try!

9AB71A80-FDB3-4568-8412-524B189851CF.png

Last edited:

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
Welp, got a used pair of 188 ct 2.0s now, to go with my 1.0s.

Now if I can only source a pair of the 3.0s I'll be set

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 188cm CT 2.0 absolutely HAUL! Very damp and stable but much more playful than the more traditional 189cm Bonafide 97.

Excited to get back on mine next season(and the rest of the my quiver) as the original stone grind to fix some base issues(edge high) on mine wasn’t aggressive enough to fully flatten them. Now they are perfect so I think I’ll love them even more now!

CT 3.0 is definitely worth getting and maybe my favourite of the line.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forgot to update @SpeedyKevin Attack bindings AFD adjustment. After removing the toe slack by lifting the toe before AFD adjustment, the bindings should be much more solid feeling and not pre-release.

Before-Tech adjusted AFD with slack still present and most of the screw head still visible.

54773C88-7B27-4278-B9A3-F064E8DFFBAB.jpeg

After-AFD properly adjusted after first eliminating toe slack. Screw heads are now more visibly covered and bindings should be much safer and more responsive.

39F0835E-609F-4AAC-B1C4-2C680C2E81F3.png

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of 1.0's in 165 for $449 CAD. I will be keeping my Santa Ana's for now, but eyeing their replacement.

A happy mother's day present!

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of 1.0's in 165 for $449 CAD. I will be keeping my Santa Ana's for now, but eyeing their replacement.

A happy mother's day present!
At Boutique Adrenaline I assume? They have had 2 pairs left for a bit as I keep looking.

Have been pondering grabbing a set for the sister of my good friend. I skied with them at Lake Louise and she’s skiing on newer fitted boots but foam core beginner skis! No idea why she was talked into them as she’s a very good skier. “These aren’t very good” she said and when I googled them I thought “no wonder you don’t like them!”
Lol

Wished they still had the 178cm and 183cm as I’d buy some more for other friends!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At Boutique Adrenaline I assume? They have had 2 pairs left for a bit as I keep looking.

Have been pondering grabbing a set for the sister of my good friend. I skied with them at Lake Louise and she’s skiing on newer fitted boots but foam core beginner skis! No idea why she was talked into them as she’s a very good skier. “These aren’t very good” she said and when I googled them I thought “no wonder you don’t like them!”
Lol

Wished they still had the 178cm and 183cm as I’d buy some more for other friends!
Yup, from Boutique Adrenaline. Good guess!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Greg, there is still that set of mint CT 2.0 183, with Warden 13 Demos, listed on Kijiji / Toronto

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Greg, there is still that set of mint CT 2.0 183, with Warden 13 Demos, listed on Kijiji / Toronto
Wants about $200 more than I would sell them for. I got both my CT 2.0 for $550 brand new and added new Attacks for under $150.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tried calling the gearroom but their number doesn't work :(. Being impatient and considering getting it overseas for $463....
Already have a pivot 12 waiting for a ski

Last edited:

Sponsor