• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Tried calling the gearroom but their number doesn't work :(. Being impatient and considering getting it overseas for $463....
Already have a pivot 12 waiting for a ski
Hoping you would have got the ones I posted about on the US Faction website 1.5 weeks ago for $439 that I tagged you on. Just checked and they are gone now. Boo!

Maybe try contacting the EBay listing for Gear room to see if they respond? Is weird that their number didn’t work though…..
Know Sport Bittl doesn’t ship to North America if that’s the site you saw them on.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ordered the 2nd last pair of 21 CT 1.0 in 165cm for a friend tonight from Boutique Adrenaline. Matching with the 22 Squire 11 bindings that were only $139.99 CAN and they mount for free when you purchase skis and bindings there. Think I saw the techs are only in on the weekends this time of year, so hopefully they will ship sometime next week.

My friend is VERY excited to get these as she’s overpowering her current skis. These will be a perfect ski for her and a HUGE upgrade from what she has now.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mine came last week; still in the wrapper though. I'm on the hunt for bindings.
2022-05-2421.10.075108957187356166766.jpg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mine came last week; still in the wrapper though. I'm on the hunt for bindings. View attachment 169963
Didn’t think you got a pair as the website said 2 pairs left before you bought and only now says “one pair left” after I bought last night.

Glad you got a set! Got the Squire 11 as she’s used to similar bindings and the new skis are about 400gr heavier than the foam core Atomic Vantage skis she currently has. :rolleyes:
Free install sealed the deal.

Will get her set base ground and then I’ll go over them to make sure they are perfect.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So you recommend a base grind on these right from the start??

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So you recommend a base grind on these right from the start??
Yes, like any ski they will never be perfect from the factory, so a STONE grind is definitely recommended on any new ski. Any edge or wax work is far less effective if you’re not starting with a flat base.

I used to just get new skis that measured edge or base high done right away. Found even ones that “didn’t look too bad” were hugely improved when I eventually got them ground. Now I cut out the middleman and just get them all done before tuning them. I hand tune the edges and hot wax the skis after and those things are also easier after a grind.
The only “luke warm” reviews of the CT skis seem to be those who didn’t get base grinds/full tunes before skiing them I find. Like any ski, they can vary quite a bit from the factory.

Now specify at least 8 plus passes on a stone to flatten any ski as fewer passes may not totally solve the issue. With fully automated machines, get them to run it through a few times unless the tech can program in more passes as they may only get a couple in the standard setting.
If the edges are automated too, I’d get them to check bevels(especially base) after. I run 1/3 bevels on all my CT skis and it’s perfect.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Boutique Adrenaline doesn’t do binding installs without the boot there and the tech isn’t around till the Fall so I’m just getting the CT 1.0 skis from them now. Will get Corbetts to mount new bindings and stone grind them when they open again.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Faction day at my house today! CT 1.0 skis for a friend and new poles for me. Got the poles at 30% off and they come with regular and powder baskets that easily screw on and off.

Skis look pretty flat and can maybe solve with a file only but definitely have dirty,sticky edges and bases. A full tune should make them way better. Just below 1900gr each and only 15gr between them. My friend is already super excited to ski them.

EEB3CBE7-1B99-41B3-BA8E-0016A4ED91BB.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Rainy day during a heatwave and wasn’t working today so I decided to tune up the CT 1.0.
Flat filed the high spots on the base/base edges and then set the bevels at 1/3. Bevels weren’t too far off but the edges were very coarse and grabby before. Felt some burrs & nicks along each edge when dragging my fingernail along them pre-tuning that are now all cleaned up. Tips/tails above the widest taper points were still sharp from the factory so they got smoothed as well.
I’m sure the skis would have been slow and catchy in the factory conditions. Should now be nice and fast with great grip without being grabby.

Marked the boot Center at -2.5cm from CT which should be perfect for her. Just need bindings and the winter countdown begins!

Checked Sport-Bittl tonight and they are down to their last 2 pairs of 190cm 21 CT 3.0 and pondering grabbing an extra set. Looked into Euro shipping “middleman” services as Sport-Bittl does not ship to North America and prices were about $125 to US or so for them to ship from Europe to here. The skis are running around $400 US before shipping which is a great price. Had decent stock of the 169cm CT 3.0 and CT 3.0x as well still remaining.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
It’s finally happening prospective 21 CT 1.0 buyers! @ktish alerted me that The-House.com finally has reduced the price on the CT 1.0 15% off to $509 US and then you add the code 40years to bring it down to $409 US and then if you join their mailing list, they will send you another code for 15% off your first purchase which should be under $350 US before shipping! Only the 158cm length isn’t reduced in price but they have all the other sizes in stock and on sale.

Get added to their mailing list and go shopping before they change their minds!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just tried buying a set of 178cm CT 1.0 for a buddy up here in Canada and they don’t allow shipping Factions across the border that way. Canadian places able to ship to Canada though :huh:

Also can’t combine coupon codes, so just use the 40years one for 20% off.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ending up getting a set of 22 Prodigy 1.0 in 178cm for a friend as I couldn’t find 21 CT 1.0 178cm in Canada till the other day when I spotted Momosport.ca in Quebec has stock. Have one set of 183cm CT 2.0 that I will probably grab for backups if I can get the price lower along with 165cm, 172cm and 178cm stock of the 21 CT 1.0. All are 20% currently and sent a message asking if they could do better. Might also pick up a set of the 178cm CT 1.0 for another friend that could use them. Will post their reply.

I did quickly go over the 22 Prodigy 1.0 and they are a bit edge high that I improved with hand tuning but will definitely still need a base grind. First pair of Factions I’ve gotten that I could easily feel the base logo and the edges were pretty coarse and rough before tuning.
The Fisher build 21 skis seemed to have better finishing than these Atomic built ones. Like the flex though and should be perfect for a playful all mountain type ski in the East that won’t suck in the West.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Momosports in Quebec is going to lower their website price 40% on the 21 CT 1.0 to $450 CAN plus shipping tomorrow morning for a limited time as that was the easiest way for me to get a pair for a buddy. There should be a pair of 178cm, a pair of 172cm and a pair of 165cm not spoken for. Sounded like they would leave the prices up for a day or so but not much longer.

link currently with 20% off but that should change by the morning.

chasinghorizons

Putting on skis
Skier
-2cm would be perfect for her then! If she’s a pivot fan, than definitely go for the 12 as it’s just a bit heavier than the Attack 13. Just didn’t want her to get super light ones if she wants to charge!
Corbetts has the Pivot 12 115mm in black or anthracite for $239.99 CAN/$195 US or Attack 13 110cm from $149.99 CAN/$120 US.
Well. I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on the '21 CT 3.0x in 169. It's a little ridiculous that at 5'1" / 115lbs, 4 of my 6 skis are over 105mm wide. It's not like I can just take off to go powder hunting whenever I want either... I'm feeling a bit excessive atm :doh:

But also excited to finally get to try these beasties! Fyi, they're now available again on Sierra.com ^_^

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@chasinghorizons Congrats on grabbing the CT 3.0x and thanks for the Sierra heads up! Glad you were able to finally find a set. Are you @SpeedyKevin wife then? Just making sure so I can stop looking out for these skis for him/you. :thumb:
Thought there was another person looking for 169cm too. @In2h2o maybe?

I’d maybe go -1.25cm to -1.5cm on your 169cm to make them ski a bit shorter and will still carve great with plenty of float there.

Here’s the latest Sierra.com link for $399.99 US for the 21 3.0x skis. They retail for $800 US/$900 CAN so a great deal! It shows they have 1 pair at 169cm and 3 at 178cm. It’s the same ski as the 21 CT 3.0, just different graphics if any guys interested in the 178cm.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think I posted this before but posting again with the aggressive 5’4” 125lb skier ripping groomers on the 184cm CT 3.0(she skied the 178cm too). They have a decent amount of tip/tail rocker and smooth splay so they ski short when flat but long effective edge when they are fully tipped over. She’s hauling at around the 40 sec mark which is effortless on this skis yet they aren’t demanding.

Sponsor

Staff online