• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
My buddy just has his skis close together and has that “pre-shaped ski” style that’s both A-no where’s close to the skill Stein has and B-not utilizing any of the advancements of all his modern skis. He backseat skids regardless of the ski he’s on.
We call him Elvis with his hip shaking ski technique! Lol
We call those guys Feet Together Boy

R2-Ski2

Booting up
Skier
I was a big fan of the chronic the last two seasons I had em as my daily driver. But I def wanted something stiffer towards the end and I had a chance to ride the a few other faction models and I instantly admired the construction and feel. After reading so much about the new CT series I had to pull the trigger on the 1.0s. Actually swapped out the pair I bought for the 165cm since my last post after reading your comment and realizing i would probably enjoy them more at 165. My chronics were 171cm and I felt they alittle long at times (like i said im not too tall). Also the deals on skis.com were too good to pass up and I got a 10% off code too so that was huge! thank you for the heads up btw :thumb:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was a big fan of the chronic the last two seasons I had em as my daily driver. But I def wanted something stiffer towards the end and I had a chance to ride the a few other faction models and I instantly admired the construction and feel. After reading so much about the new CT series I had to pull the trigger on the 1.0s. Actually swapped out the pair I bought for the 165cm since my last post after reading your comment and realizing i would probably enjoy them more at 165. My chronics were 171cm and I felt they alittle long at times (like i said im not too tall). Also the deals on skis.com were too good to pass up and I got a 10% off code too so that was huge! thank you for the heads up btw :thumb:
If the 171cm was a hair too long, the 165cm will be perfect then. Glad you were able to swap sizes and got a great deal to boot!

Where did you have the Chronics mounted? If you had them on the Factory line, you could go around -1.5cm back from the CT triangle marked on the CT 1.0 for a similar feel.
If you had the Chronics behind the line, you could go a bit further back up to a max of -3cm back from the CT mark.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a pair of chronics, I use them 100% for our indoor park, and in easter when we pretend we are not old as shit and can still ski park, slowspeed jib noodle ;) (but fun)

CT 1.0 is stepping up your game, but I bet you will love em.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Boutique Adrenaline in Quebec, Canada have Boxing week deals on with 40% off and free shipping in Canada on 21 CT 1.0 and 20% off 22 models.

I’m getting a buddy to pick up a pair of the 178cm 21 CT 1.0 for his one ski quiver and yellow Attacks from Corbetts.com to match them.

FC7B98B4-AFBD-42A7-9D96-8A07ECB8C10F.png

R2-Ski2

Booting up
Skier
I had the chronics mounted on factory line, which I enjoyed alot actually. So ill probably mount the CTs similarly to what you suggested. I have a couple other pairs of skis in my arsenal for other types of days so im not too worried about pushing the bindings back more. These are gonna primarily be my daily driver/park skis so something similar to what i had on the lines or something would do well. i messed around with the idea of true center as well but im hesitant

R2-Ski2

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of chronics, I use them 100% for our indoor park, and in easter when we pretend we are not old as shit and can still ski park, slowspeed jib noodle ;) (but fun)

CT 1.0 is stepping up your game, but I bet you will love em.
haha "slowspeed jib noodle", thats great. they are a very fun ski no doubt, but im ready to step it up as you said lol very stoked to put the CT 1.0 to work

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I had the chronics mounted on factory line, which I enjoyed alot actually. So ill probably mount the CTs similarly to what you suggested. I have a couple other pairs of skis in my arsenal for other types of days so im not too worried about pushing the bindings back more. These are gonna primarily be my daily driver/park skis so something similar to what i had on the lines or something would do well. i messed around with the idea of true center as well but im hesitant
Go -1.5cm back then and they will be perfect!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER Center mount a directional ski regardless of what kids on other web sites say. Lol
Faction and every ski company warns not to do this as you will be ahead of the sidecut Center and the ski will be more nervous, less stable, have less pop and not as powerful when carving. You are “fighting the sidecut” is when you mount outside of the mount sweet spot range.

R2-Ski2

Booting up
Skier
Go -1.5cm back then and they will be perfect!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER Center mount a directional ski regardless of what kids on other web sites say. Lol
Faction and every ski company warns not to do this as you will be ahead of the sidecut Center and the ski will be more nervous, less stable, have less pop and not as powerful when carving. You are “fighting the sidecut” is when you mount outside of the mount sweet spot range.
thanks for the tip! and the forewarning on the center mount lol, I only toyed with the idea because i figured the CT 1.0 was a symmetrical twin until i noticed that the tips have an extra 2mm, I wasn't sure where the factory mount sat along the length of the ski. But i think -1.5cm back is the best way to go regardless :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to butt in, but Greg are you saying -1.5 from the factory "Candide" line or from true center? Typically you are talking from the Candide line, which is some distance back from true center. R2, you might want to mount on the Candide line if you are just skiing park, if mixing in all mtn then I think -1.5 back from Candide line is good. I am not a park skier, so I am going -3.0 back from the Candide line, which is -2.0 from true center, so I am at -5.0 from true center. I think Greg is saying mount at -3.5 cm from true center.

I would also caution going any further forward than -2.0 from true center (the candide line). Even he doesn't like them more forward than that.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sorry to butt in, but Greg are you saying -1.5 from the factory "Candide" line or from true center? Typically you are talking from the Candide line, which is some distance back from true center. R2, you might want to mount on the Candide line if you are just skiing park, if mixing in all mtn then I think -1.5 back from Candide line is good. I am not a park skier, so I am going -3.0 back from the Candide line, which is -2.0 from true center, so I am at -5.0 from true center. I think Greg is saying mount at -3.5 cm from true center.

I would also caution going any further forward than -2.0 from true center (the candide line). Even he doesn't like them more forward than that.
-1.5cm back from the CT line so about 3.4cm back from true Center on the 165cm CT 1.0 which is close to the factory Chronic line. I never quote “back from Center” as it’s always easier to work forward or back of the manufacturers recommended points. You should always do a quick tape measure from the tail to the marks on the two skis to make sure they match though.

Yes, only mount on the CT line is you’re doing mostly park and back from the line if you’re skiing outside of the park at all.

Have seen some skier and even reviewers online moving to true Center or far ahead of the CT/New School line on the 21 CT and more directional Prodigy skis and then they complain about float or carving performance…….:huh:

Did some pics yesterday for a new CT owner for what I do for marking mounting points so there’s no confusion for the binding techs.

I get a wide piece of masking tape and then measure down from the top of tape if moving back(CT ski) and up from the bottom if moving forward(Prodigy ski) the amount of CM I want to move off the mount.
Measure across a few spots and create a straight line. Write “Boot Center” with an arrow to the line and then simply line up the recommended mark with the top or bottom of the tape and you’re done!
In the case yesterday, it was backwards from the line on a CT ski, so like the top of the tape through the middle of the Faction triangle mount indicator.
D9014AF7-6895-4850-98BC-4D6E1D43B7F3.jpeg ED252A84-EC66-4A54-91AB-A0A91B1CA141.jpeg
071B5268-E638-4B79-8A80-11D3215F6EDF.jpeg

Jayppierce

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey, I’ve seen you have the only good forum talk on here and i think also newschoolers regarding the faction ct line. I posted this on a thread here as well as NS and i was wondering if you had any input. If you could answer on the thread so it sparks more conversation that would be sick! Thanks in advance.

So im coming off of 2008 165cm k2 public enemy’s. (Been awhile I know). And its time for new skis. I’m an east coast skier and ski everything from park to groomers with my less experienced GF to off resort “backcountry”ish stuff and mount Washington. I’m no longer a park rat but i feel like im going to be spending a decent amount of time in the park if im going to be mainly skiing with my girl who can’t keep up with me on anything fun. I want to get back to 540s, 270s, switch disasters and maybe a backflip this year but nothing too crazy in the park. But i also want something i can do anything with because this is going to be my only set of skis for the next few years and it needs to be able to handle occasional east coast powder days in the hopes we ever get one.
Im 28yo 5’9” and 165 lbs.
I was looking at 2021and 2022 faction ct 2.0 173, K2 rekoners, k2 poachers, faction prodigy 2.0, and line chronics mostly. I’ve narrowed it down to probably getting the 2021 ct now or waiting for summer to pick up rekoners or 2022 ct cheap.
My local ski shop has a pair of unmounted 2021 ct2.0 178mm that i can pick up for 590 with a new set of marker griffon 13s included (open to other binding recommendations too) and im about to pull the trigger on those buy idk 100% yet.
I rode demoed the cts in 178 from them and they felt a bit heavy and a bit long after coming from the 165s i own that are way too short for me. I’m worried that im going to end up buying these that are going to be great for big and fast stuff but Ill sacrifice jibability and having fun fucking around on groomers and boring stuff with my girl.
Should i pull the trigger on the 2021 ct2.0 178 that i can pick up cheap? Or should I tough it out with my old skis the rest of the season and wait for the 2022 to go on sale? Or should i go in a whole different direction?
I feel like the 2022 might be a little better suited to me with the lower weight and less stiffness due to the removal of a titanal plate but im really itching to buy them now and i feel this is too good of a deal to pass on.
I’m also back in the gym again and getting stronger which should help the heavy feeling of the skis i hope, and will i be disappointed getting 178 over 173? I demoed Volkl revolt 95s in 173 and that length felt better but probably only because im used to short skis? IDK

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Also private messaged Greg about this same thing as well as made my own thread. I hope im not blowing up the forum too much or breaking etiquette lol. But im going to buy these tomorrow or the next day I think. Should’ve made this post weeks ago when i first stared researching.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
My Attack 2s will be here on the 5th and be mounted up and ready for high tide season.

BTW, Greg is amazing at finding deals and helped me out quite a bit.

Greg, if you are ever out in near the Front Range I owe you a bourbon or a beer, your choice.

I mean that.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey, I’ve seen you have the only good forum talk on here and i think also newschoolers regarding the faction ct line. I posted this on a thread here as well as NS and i was wondering if you had any input. If you could answer on the thread so it sparks more conversation that would be sick! Thanks in advance.

So im coming off of 2008 165cm k2 public enemy’s. (Been awhile I know). And its time for new skis. I’m an east coast skier and ski everything from park to groomers with my less experienced GF to off resort “backcountry”ish stuff and mount Washington. I’m no longer a park rat but i feel like im going to be spending a decent amount of time in the park if im going to be mainly skiing with my girl who can’t keep up with me on anything fun. I want to get back to 540s, 270s, switch disasters and maybe a backflip this year but nothing too crazy in the park. But i also want something i can do anything with because this is going to be my only set of skis for the next few years and it needs to be able to handle occasional east coast powder days in the hopes we ever get one.
Im 28yo 5’9” and 165 lbs.
I was looking at 2021and 2022 faction ct 2.0 173, K2 rekoners, k2 poachers, faction prodigy 2.0, and line chronics mostly. I’ve narrowed it down to probably getting the 2021 ct now or waiting for summer to pick up rekoners or 2022 ct cheap.
My local ski shop has a pair of unmounted 2021 ct2.0 178mm that i can pick up for 590 with a new set of marker griffon 13s included (open to other binding recommendations too) and im about to pull the trigger on those buy idk 100% yet.
I rode demoed the cts in 178 from them and they felt a bit heavy and a bit long after coming from the 165s i own that are way too short for me. I’m worried that im going to end up buying these that are going to be great for big and fast stuff but Ill sacrifice jibability and having fun fucking around on groomers and boring stuff with my girl.
Should i pull the trigger on the 2021 ct2.0 178 that i can pick up cheap? Or should I tough it out with my old skis the rest of the season and wait for the 2022 to go on sale? Or should i go in a whole different direction?
I feel like the 2022 might be a little better suited to me with the lower weight and less stiffness due to the removal of a titanal plate but im really itching to buy them now and i feel this is too good of a deal to pass on.
I’m also back in the gym again and getting stronger which should help the heavy feeling of the skis i hope, and will i be disappointed getting 178 over 173? I demoed Volkl revolt 95s in 173 and that length felt better but probably only because im used to short skis? IDK

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Also private messaged Greg about this same thing as well as made my own thread. I hope im not blowing up the forum too much or breaking etiquette lol. But im going to buy these tomorrow or the next day I think. Should’ve made this post weeks ago when i first stared researching.
Depends how cheap, IMO.
if you can ski them and sell them (and break even) if you don’t like them, I’d do it.

that way you can get new skis next year if you don’t like em. BTW i Sierra has 2.0s on sale for cheap and Corgetts has Attack 2s cheap right now.

again p, thanks Greg

Jayppierce

Skier
Depends how cheap, IMO.
if you can ski them and sell them (and break even) if you don’t like them, I’d do it.

that way you can get new skis next year if you don’t like em. BTW i Sierra has 2.0s on sale for cheap and Corgetts has Attack 2s cheap right now.

ahain p, thanks Greg
I think Sierra is out of them except for the woman’s pink ones unless somehow im missing them.
This deal im looking at is 419$ for the skis that retail for699 and 10% off of marker griffons -35$ i already paid to demo. So the whole setup is 590$
177 2021 k2 rekoners with the attack 2s from corbetts would be 680.
Also are you mentioning the attacks because you feel they are better bindings than the griffons?

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Sierra is out of them except for the woman’s pink ones unless somehow im missing them.
This deal im looking at is 419$ for the skis that retail for699 and 10% off of marker griffons -35$ i already paid to demo. So the whole setup is 590$
177 2021 k2 rekoners with the attack 2s from corbetts would be 680.
Also are you mentioning the attacks because you feel they are better bindings than the griffons?
I feel they are probably equal. Tyrolia has been around for a long time, same as marker. I’m not a fan boy of either. Both are 13 din, and I think Corbett has a 16 DIN attack on sale now.

I am sure Greg will respond to your PM. He is very nice and super helpful.

the folks in this thread are really some nice helpful people (as are many others here) but these folks are rather passionate about Faction. I have yet to ski mine but I got my boards for $399 and Aaatacks 2 13’s for $120 So I had to jump on it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So im coming off of 2008 165cm k2 public enemy’s. (Been awhile I know)
Wow, coming off a K2 PE!
Congratulations on getting your money's worth out of a ski. :thumb:

I'm glad you found @GregK's review.

Jayppierce

Skier
Wow, coming off a K2 PE!
Congratulations on getting your money's worth out of a ski. :thumb:

I'm glad you found @GregK's review.
haha the things are bombproof. I bought them at 15 and they’ve had a few Basment years but they’ve seen everything from street rails and staircases to backcountry(ish) and are still breathing

Jayppierce

Skier
I feel they are probably equal. Tyrolia has been around for a long time, same as marker. I’m not a fan boy of either. Both are 13 din, and I think Corbett has a 16 DIN attack on sale now.

I am sure Greg will respond to your PM. He is very nice and super helpful.

the folks in this thread are really some nice helpful people (as are many others here) but these folks are rather passionate about Faction. I have yet to ski mine but I got my boards for $399 and Aaatacks 2 13’s for $120 So I had to jump on it.
How did you manage that? Are we talking USD?

Sponsor

Staff online