• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Fischer RC One 86 GT

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Fischer RC One GT 86 has a mouthful of a name; an accomplished skier could make it down the better part of some ski trails before saying the whole thing. There is no question that we have been impressed with Fischer's offerings in the past few years, especially those that say "RC" on them. These are some of the best-finished skis in both appearance and construction, and the new GT 86 is no exception. From the textured topskin to the jeweler-like precision of the bevel, this ski stands out on the rack and on the slopes.

Okay, so this all-new Fischer has a pretty face. There are a lot of pretty faces, but how does it ski? The first chance I had on it was in Big Sky at the Gathering. Unfortunately, that pair wasn't mine because my skis were sitting in the shipping/receiving department at Pugski’s worldwide headquarters, aka they arrived while we were at the Gathering. I didn’t ski the Fischer at Copper, Mammoth, or Snowbasin, and I can be only so patient. I couldn’t wait another week, so I tried them at Big Sky. If you saw the pics from the Gathering, you saw that we got some really good snow, and the RC One GT 86 just killed it. It thrived in the bumps and trees, and it was especially confidence-inspiring in the milk-bottle visibility up high.

Read the full Long-Term Review HERE.

Insider tip: The GT 86 likes to charge. If you are looking for a ski to trust and not let you down, here ya go. For 2021, the GTOne 86 is avalable flat.​
Doug Briggs: I’m a sucker for a ski built like a race ski with an 18m radius. You can really rip on this one with stability at speed and grip to spare. It took to the piste with aplomb and laid down some really nice turns. Get it on edge and bend it, and it hooks right up.

Insider tip: Be careful: you’ll break the speed limit on these.​

Drahtguy Kevin: This smooth and stable mid-80s ski favors the groomed. The solid tail releases easily, making various turn shapes a hoot. The 86 is quick from edge to edge for a ski this wide.

Insider tip: This ski likes to be on edge​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
The race-inspired skier who also gets out on softer piste on a regular basis. This ski is fun! This is an 80/20 ski.
Who is it not for?
The powderhound or timid skier; those seeking a more 50/50 ski or who don't care to pop off crisp, energetic short-radius turns.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
161, 168, 175, 182
Dimensions
130-86-116
Radius
17m@175cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
93C0E6B3-51C6-4460-BC77-8EE7701D12F3.jpeg Long term update: @Tricia since being in radiation treatment can pretty much tell when she is going to have her mojo or not and when she doesn't her fall back ski has been the Fischer RC One 82 Ti. Why the RC One 82? I think it is because the ski does so many things so well without even thinking about it. This make reminded me that I haven't been on the 86mm version of this ski in a while and now was as good of a time to get back on the ski.

While is it still early season, and it hasn't been cold enough to blow snow and there hasn't been any fall from the ski recently, what is on the slopes is definitely starting to get stale. Any ski can perform well if good condition but how it handles adverse snow shows it's true character. As the day went on and the snow deteriorated noticably from run to run, that didn't bother the Fischer's they just skied well and smooth...and consistantly from start to finish.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
View attachment 116751 Long Term Update: @Tricia since being in radiation treatment can pretty much tell when she is going to have her mojo or not and when she doesn't her fall back ski has been the Fischer RC One 82 Ti. Why the RC One 82? I think it is because the ski does so many things so well with out even thinking about it. This make reminded me that I haven't been on the 86mm version of this ski in a while and now was as good of a time to get back on the ski.

While is it still early season, and it hasn't been cold enough to blow snow and there hasn't been any fall from the ski recently, what is on the slopes is definitely starting to get stale. Any ski can perform well if good condition but how it handles adverse snow shows it's true character. As the day went on and the snow deteriorated noticably from run to run, that didn't bother the Fischer's they just skied well and smooth...and consistantly from start to finish.
Concur

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd have been on mine today, but right now we have a few too many chocolate chips on the hill. Great that you can get it flat this season. There is nothing wrong with the system binding, but it can be off putting for some. Now you can run a pair of FKS on it if you want.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally got to test these out Squaw and Alpine, crawling all over both mountains and getting in 20 runs, 20 miles, and just shy of 20k vertical feet. We skied groomed runs, bumps, steeps, and a little trees at both resorts. On another note, it was my first day wearing my vintage Descente ski suit too :thumb:

All I can say is the reviews for this ski are spot on.

About me: 5'8", 145lbs, 51yo, advanced skier. I'm a 90/10 piste/off-piste guy. Home mountains are Tahoe. My favorite is to speed as fast I can down groomed runs and carve all sorts of turns.

Skis are 175cm with the system bindings.

What I wanted from these skis: a front-side carving machine with the versatility to do bumps and trees.

What I got from these skis: exactly what I wanted.

I've spent this entire season on some Vist Crossover IIs with Vist Speedlock Pro plates and 412 bindings. This is the Blossom White Out under another label and for the type of skiing I love the most they are superb. I've taken them to 60+ mph and I know that's not their top end. They are glued to the snow and stable beyond belief. They instill supreme confidence in me and made me a better skier in every sense.

I've also skied with my kids more days than not this season and the Vists are less than ideal for me when slow cruising with my 8yo daughter or following my 11yo son into black diamond moguls and trees. I wanted a ski that was first and foremost a carver, but also easy and fun at slow speeds, and versatile enough to take off piste.

I was looking at the reviews here of Wingman 86cti and the Fischers when @Skeezer put up a cheap and practically new pair here. I am so glad I bought them.

The morning started out icy but the ice was no match for the edges. By the afternoon it was sunny and in the 40s and the only issue was the wind in some places. The snow was fantastic.

In the moguls I found the Fischers easy to turn and flick around at will. I forgot how much I liked moguls! The Fischers made me want to attack them and push my limits. The steeps at Squaw were also fun. I found these skis easy to control. I could drive the tips, bend them, and was fine even if I got thrown into the backseat. At slow speeds they were also fun, encouraging me to play around with different turn shapes and sizes.

On the groomers I sacrificed some of the stability at speed and top end that my Vists have but the Fischers are great carvers, fun as %$*#, and fast in their own right (Ski Tracks clocked me at 50mph). In the Vists my feet never leave the snow unless I want them to and it took me a minute to adjust to getting thrown around a little, but I was absolutely giddy skiing the groomers on the Fischers. They are more playful and I could feel the pop coming out of the turns. My buddy skied behind me and loved watching them bend and release.

In short, the RC One GT 86 might be the perfect purchase for my needs. These will be my go-to skis for days with the kids, and I will save the Vists for those days by myself when I really want to zoom the groom. I will have them with me for 3-4 days at Mammoth next month and look forward to reporting back.

Thanks for @Philpug for his review and @Noodler for advice on this ski.

A few pics and a quick video of me dropping into Wolverine Bowl

Attachments

• IMG_6152.jpg
    IMG_6152.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6145.jpg
    IMG_6145.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6153.jpg
    IMG_6153.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6146.jpg
    IMG_6146.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 81

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long-term update: I just spent 5 days on my Fischers skiing them all over Mammoth Mountain, clocking in 62k vertical feet and 72 miles. @Philpug nailed it with his long-term review.

I saw ice, crusty corduroy, 2" of fresh powder, crud, corn, slush, and hero snow. I skied them on groomers, down steeps, in wind buff, through moguls and trees and chutes... all over the entire mountain. There was absolutely nowhere I could not go and no conditions I could not ski.

I was just as happy to ski them at 53 mph dropping down Cornice Bowl as I was at 15 mph following my daughter down Sesame Street.

Are these the greatest carving skis? No, but they carve very well and unlike a true carving ski, the Fischers are good off piste as well. In fact, the longer I skied them the more and more I appreciated this ski's tail. It provided as much grip and power as I needed but they were very easy to release when I moved off the groomed trails. The ski also has a enough rocker that it really plowed through anything with more than enough stability than I need. Nothing fazed it.

Finally, the skis are easy to ski and fun. Thank you Ski Talk because I never would've looked at these skis without this forum. Very happy buyer here.

Sponsor