• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Head Supershape e-Titan

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Head is asking the new 84mm-waisted e-Titan to do a lot: to carry the wide carver tradition of the previous Titans but also replace the fantastic but marginally selling Monster 83. Head is taking a two-pronged approach by offering for the first time a Supershape with or without a system binding. By offering the PRD 12 system binding, Head hopes to keep its loyal Titan buyer happy; offering it flat reminds the Monster 83 customer that they haven't been forgotten. Plus, there is now the option of a 184 length.

But is 84 mm for this type of ski too wide to be a carver? Did Head swing the pendulum too far? Is it a better Monster 83? All are viable questions that need to be answered. In the meantime, you now have the choice of getting the system PRD or tossing an Attack on them and hope for a couple of inches on the groomers for this wide carver.

Insider tip: You can go system or flat. Bigger guys, there is now a 184.​
Drahtguy Kevin: Head upped the width 3 mm to 84 underfoot, and the difference is noticeable. The outgoing Titan was one of my favorites in Head’s lineup. The new model feels a tad sluggish compared to the former iterations. The e-Titan retains the strong and stable feel that crosses the fall line nicely, just not as rapidly. The new tip design does seem to engage a skosh better than prior models.

Insider tip: Fast or slow, this ski still works.​

Who is it for?
Chargers, and even more so now and piste skiers who dabble in bumps and crud.
Who is it not for?
Lighter finesse skiers; no worries, there is still the e-Rally.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
156, 163, 170, 177, 184
Dimensions
133-84-115
Radius
15.7m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Think of this ski as a Monster replacement. If you like the outgoing Titan, the 20/21 Rally is probably your ride, and it's a good one!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Picked up a pair of flat eTitan skis in 184cm and paired them with the Attack 16 to add some weight to them. The skis themselves weigh around 2000 grams and have a nice solid flex throughout. Got them on fantastic spring deals and haven’t been able to ski them yet but bindings mounted and ready to go for next season.

Bases were flat with with the edge angles varying a bit on the base(lower angles near the tip/tail) which is common on any ski. The side edges had a very obvious angle level change about 30cm/1 foot from the tip and tail on all 4 sides. Nice and consistent edge levels now after a hand tune.

Have heard the “flat” versions of this ski haven’t been great sellers vs the system bindings versions so maybe grab a pair now on a great deal in case they aren’t offered flat in the future.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Picked up a pair of flat eTitan skis in 184cm and paired them with the Attack 16 to add some weight to them. The skis themselves weigh around 2000 grams and have a nice solid flex throughout. Got them on fantastic spring deals and haven’t been able to ski them yet but bindings mounted and ready to go for next season.

Bases were flat with with the edge angles varying a bit on the base(lower angles near the tip/tail) which is common on any ski. The side edges had a very obvious angle level change about 30cm/1 foot from the tip and tail on all 4 sides. Nice and consistent edge levels now after a hand tune.

Have heard the “flat” versions of this ski haven’t been great sellers vs the system bindings versions so maybe grab a pair now on a great deal in case they aren’t offered flat in the future.

@GregK , curious what you think of the e-Titan.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK , curious what you think of the e-Titan.
Flex and most stats look very similar! Longer turning radius on the ETitan it looks like though.

I do like mine especially since I bumped up the mount a bit to make them more playful and dynamic feeling. Quiet and damp on hard snow and confidence inspiring even at higher speeds. Got the 184cm length for it’s longer radius and was still a bit nervous it wouldn’t like the speeds I typically ski at but it’s been great.
Also liked the option of a fixed binding that I’m used to as I didn’t like the Deacon 84s binding set up I had before that. Very reasonable price wise too as I picked up mine with bindings for about $600 CAN on Spring sales.

Just watched a SkiEssentials video on mid 80s skis and Jeff commented that “these make you feel like a better skier” and feel the same.

Do you not have Bolds still for this width range? Haven’t been on those but they look like solid skis!

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flex and most stats look very similar! Longer turning radius on the ETitan it looks like though.

I do like mine especially since I bumped up the mount a bit to make them more playful and dynamic feeling. Quiet and damp on hard snow and confidence inspiring even at higher speeds. Got the 184cm length for it’s longer radius and was still a bit nervous it wouldn’t like the speeds I typically ski at but it’s been great.
Also liked the option of a fixed binding that I’m used to as I didn’t like the Deacon 84s binding set up I had before that. Very reasonable price wise too as I picked up mine with bindings for about $600 CAN on Spring sales.

Just watched a SkiEssentials video on mid 80s skis and Jeff commented that “these make you feel like a better skier” and feel the same.

Do you not have Bolds still for this width range? Haven’t been on those but they look like solid skis!

Thanks. Yes, I have and love the Bolds and that's the reason for my question: What's going to be my replacement for this ski? Last year I was thinking maybe a Laser AR, but now I'm not sure about the Montero. The Redster Q9.8s seems the obvious choice, but I'm hesitant about it's tight radius and @anders_nor didn't speak too highly of it. MX83? Deacon 84?

I was kind of surprised looking at the Sooth Ski data between the e-Titan and the Q9.8 how similar they are in flex. I'm assume the Q9.8 has a Bold like flex so maybe the e-Titan fits my profile. I always heard whispers that the e-Titan is overly stiff. Then again, I've heard reviews say the same thing about the Bolds, which I don't believe is the case at all.

BTW, my favorite European clearing house is selling e-Titans w/ Protector bindings for $720. I wonder if they will toggle the price between this and something north of $1K every few days like they do for the e-Race Pros.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. Yes, I have and love the Bolds and that's the reason for my question: What's going to be my replacement for this ski? Last year I was thinking maybe a Laser AR, but now I'm not sure about the Montero. The Redster Q9.8s seems the obvious choice, but I'm hesitant about it's tight radius and @anders_nor didn't speak too highly of it. MX83? Deacon 84?

I was kind of surprised looking at the Sooth Ski data between the e-Titan and the Q9.8 how similar they are in flex. I'm assume the Q9.8 has a Bold like flex so maybe the e-Titan fits my profile. I always heard whispers that the e-Titan is overly stiff. Then again, I've heard reviews say the same thing about the Bolds, which I don't believe is the case at all.

BTW, my favorite European clearing house is selling e-Titans w/ Protector bindings for $720. I wonder if they will toggle the price between this and something north of $1K every few days like they do for the e-Race Pros.

I will be able to get on the Q9.8 again soon, hopefully with a better tune, intermediate buddy liked them and is getting a pair next week, will go inn immdiatly for a grind& setup

and yes, was definetly not impressed. I find the AR/AX lacking as well though, but in other ways than the Q9.8

Q9.8 was when ski was flat between turns like dropping a piece of plate, then trying to pick it back up again. with fast transititions you felt the width when going past center.

for some reason head skis and demos, or even places to buy them are hard in europe, and especially my country. head RACE FIS skis are very available though.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The eTitan has a solid flex tip to tail but doesn’t ramp way up underfoot like most skis. The Head Monsters were similar to that. The eTitan are not a demanding ski at all but wouldn’t be the easiest off piste or in bumps. My Deacon 72 Masters are a little more forgiving there.
I use both my Deacons and eTitan on mostly firm days and if I can easily bite into the snow I’m on my CT 1.0 as they are just more fun especially off piste or in bumps.

Forget if you had anything between or under the Bolds and the Bonafide/new Peak 104?
You reminded me of other great all mountain skis with still great carving chops mentioning the MX 83. If I had one ski for harder snow out West that’s still easier off Piste, I’d look at skis like the Blossom AM 77(I’d go AM 84 for the longer turn radius) and put some beefy traditional bindings on them. Give up a bit of carving performance but gain lots of versatility.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure why this was bumping the 2021 review and not the 2023 but ... simply, the current gen of Supershapes, are really a balance and best of of the previous two generations, some of the playfulness of two gens ago and the tenacious grip of the last gen.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yep. $1140 today.

Sponsor