• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Heated Gloves Comparisons--Black Diamond v. OR v. Lenz v. Hestra v. Sierus v. Chaval

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I got a pair of Karbon electric gloves last year. They work well enough, but the battery won't last a whole day, and I don't know where to get an extra set (not that I've looked that far). Sometimes I inadvertently must be pressing the button that resets the heating level without meaning to; I look down and it's not at the setting I left it on (it has three settings).

I also have a pair of non-electric Outdoor Research mittens with a pocket for the chemical heat pack that work well.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I've had the OR Capstone gloves for a couple of years and like them. My fingers and thumbs just get cold no matter what I wear and these keep them warm in New England frigid conditions. Batteries die, aren't connected well, in my first pair I had some faulty wiring, I returned them. Second pair is better.

They turn on in my bag if pressured the wrong way, a definite problem as the batteries drain on the wy to the slope.

Jomo

Booting up
Skier
I have heard rave reviews from several people about the Chavals.

I own some older Hestras. These are the warmest gloves I've ever worn, before I turn on the heat. Some days I forget to turn on the heat. I believe the reason (other than superb design and insulation) is that they fit perfectly. Like a glove!
I've now had three pairs of Chavals that have all broken in 1 to 1.5 seasons. The company has been so-so to deal with but can't repair them. These are getting normal use and not at all abused. I've given up on them at this point and am looking for a different solution.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been using Gerbing heated gear on my bikes for 20 years.
How about a great pair of heated gloves for $247?
You are not paying the ski gear upcharge for these.
With a spare battery in your pocket you can have comfort all day long.

Gerbing heated gloves

Leaning strongly towards these. I hear you on the "ski gear upchgarge".

Have you used them skiing or just on the bike?

Because cold is different skiing than motorcycle riding. ;)

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Look at thewarmingstore.com for a non-skiing store dedicated to you-know-what. I don't have any experience with their products, though.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look at thewarmingstore.com for a non-skiing store dedicated to you-know-what. I don't have any experience with their products, though.
I have bought some stuff from them, but it wasn’t anything own brand, just regular brands stuff.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Leaning strongly towards these. I hear you on the "ski gear upchgarge".

Have you used them skiing or just on the bike?

Because cold is different skiing than motorcycle riding. ;)
I use mine for both skiing and biking.
Also have two friends who have them for skiing and they love them.
One has bad Renaud's syndrome and the Gerbing gloves keep his fingers warm and toasty.
The build quality of these gloves is unreal given the price.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I have a Gerbings heated vest from them that is over 20 years old and still works fine.
After biking season is over I use it when snow blowing with my tractor.
Nothing like sauna warmth when in a cloud of snow at zero degrees.
Open Door.jpg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would the Gering insoles work in ski boots with custom footbeds? It sure would be nice to ditch the clunky hotronics batteries hanging off the boot tops. They claim 8 hours on low and 5 on high. Seems pretty good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would the Gering insoles work in ski boots with custom footbeds? It sure would be nice to ditch the clunky hotronics batteries hanging off the boot tops. They claim 8 hours on low and 5 on high. Seems pretty good.

I second this question. I know they must be thicker, and not as racey as a custom insole, but they sure look simple.

I'm wondering if the resident Gering expert -- @Dakine -- has any thoughts?

I'm leaning towards trying them out. Even if not quite ideal for alpine skiing, they HAVE to be the bomb for fat biking!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I second this question. I know they must be thicker, and not as racey as a custom insole, but they sure look simple.

I'm wondering if the resident Gering expert -- @Dakine -- has any thoughts?

I'm leaning towards trying them out. Even if not quite ideal for alpine skiing, they HAVE to be the bomb for fat biking!
I simply have no experience with their heated soles.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chaval gloves are great while they work. When they break the repair time is unacceptable.

Look at Gerbing. They have a top reputation with motorcycle and snowmobile riders for their 12v heated apparel. Their 7v battery gloves might be tops. In any case look for a great warranty.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on @Henry and @Dakine, I'm going with Gerbing. Thanks, guys.

Plus, now I can make moto sounds when I'm laying trenches at zero Fahrenheit!

One last question: How do you guys find the sizing?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Took the plunge, and ordered two pair of the Gerbings, an XL and a 2XL.

Gerbing indicated not only a cheerful willingness to accept one pair on return, but actually encouraged this approach, for side-by-side comparison.

Thanks to @Dakine for all the input.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats. Don't forget to write back once you've put them through their paces.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I received the Gerbings in XL and 2XL. I think they may run just a wee bit small. Keeping the 2XLs.

Quality appears impressive.

Actual use reports to follow, but we don't open until early December.

shima

Dojo Owner, Sr Network Engineer, Skier
Skier
I received the Gerbings in XL and 2XL. I think they may run just a wee bit small. Keeping the 2XLs.

Quality appears impressive.

Actual use reports to follow, but we don't open until early December.
I have almost 10 year old Mobile Warming gloves and am finally getting back on the mountain this February (Breckenridge) so debating if I should upgrade to something newer. The Capstone gloves are very enticing... the Gerbings are also intriguing for their lower price point, but for battery life on a full day of usage the OR Capstone's might be the clear winner for life with those dual batteries... curious how those battery lasts on the Gerbing.

I have Reynaud's.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have almost 10 year old Mobile Warming gloves and am finally getting back on the mountain this February (Breckenridge) so debating if I should upgrade to something newer. The Capstone gloves are very enticing... the Gerbings are also intriguing for their lower price point, but for battery life on a full day of usage the OR Capstone's might be the clear winner for life with those dual batteries... curious how those battery lasts on the Gerbing.

I have Reynaud's.

Battery life concerns can be met by using an extra set of batteries. The larger issue is whether or not the gloves can actually warm your hands. What I've found is that unlike my boot heaters, the glove heaters pretty much had to be on high to even tell they were on (my experience is primarily with the OR models). I'm going to take a chance on the Seirus Hellfire this season and see if they are any better. I mean if it's the fire of Hell, then they have to be hot, right? ;)

Sponsor

Staff online