• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Heated Gloves Comparisons--Black Diamond v. OR v. Lenz v. Hestra v. Sierus v. Chaval

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
No.

I have had better communication and customer service with Ski Essentials.
The Warming Store is a ripoff in my opinion. I purchased a pair of Lenz socks that had to be returned and they actually sent them back to me claiming they were used (they weren't). Obviously they kept the money too. The socks ended up getting gifted to my nephew who is going to the Flight Control School in Kenai AK. He appreciated them every day. Ski Essentials is rock solid - never an issue with those guys. They have all my business.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Battery life concerns can be met by using an extra set of batteries.
I wish this was an option with Chaval, but the batteries are built-in. I may try ewool glove liners in a pair of Hestra gloves I own. Someone I see at the mountain uses them and she said the battery life is amazing - she wears them at the mountain for the am and then uses them fat biking in the afternoon. I tried the Hestra heated glove liners and they were useless.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I wish this was an option with Chaval, but the batteries are built-in. I may try ewool glove liners in a pair of Hestra gloves I own. Someone I see at the mountain uses them and she said the battery life is amazing - she wears them at the mountain for the am and then uses them fat biking in the afternoon. I tried the Heatra heated glove liners and they were useless.

These look really good. Wish I had known about them before I pulled the trigger on the Chaval gloves as I really wanted a heated liner to work, but the ones I purchased aren't great.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I finally got through to them again (the warming store), and this time a better result. A nice enough person, though one with no idea at all about the heated merchandise, just reading from a script. She had literally no idea which set of mittens might work for me, but didn't say so directly: just read from her description on every possible option. About all she would say was whether it was one of their "premium" or "low cost options" - already obvious from the price. So I bailed on exchanging with them, and just ordered a refund acceptance label ($10.00 charge off refund amount). Guess I'll find out of they actually refund for mittens never used.

(Their call back/contact/return auto. system is at least dysfunctional, and 9 out of 10 times puts me in an alternate robot loop that never gets through, it seems. Convenient. Probably supply and hiring problems too, from the pandemic, maybe not intentional runaround/barrier, but not sure - especially after hearing about your return problems, @Fuller . [It reminds me of the recent ColoradoSun.com article about how Vail in the last year has fired much of its middle management, and replaced them with online and automatic phone systems.*] Thanks for that input.)

*Post #856 by me over in the Colorado resorts thread yesterday.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wish this was an option with Chaval, but the batteries are built-in. I may try ewool glove liners in a pair of Hestra gloves I own. Someone I see at the mountain uses them and she said the battery life is amazing - she wears them at the mountain for the am and then uses them fat biking in the afternoon. I tried the Hestra heated glove liners and they were useless.

Thanks for the post. I'd put the ewools inside a pair of generic leather ski mittens, if they'd fit? (For me, much warmer than any standard glove.) But they look sort of too bulky (?) - maybe I'd have to get a pair of oversized mittens for these to fit comfortably instead of being too cramped. Not sure. (I also own a pair of Hestra "extra warm" mittens, but those are way too bulky already - and not particularly warm - just pretty and expensive.)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The ewools are impressive liners. A good fat biking friend swears by them. If I didn't hate the whole liner and out glove combo, I would have gone that route.

I've been having good luck with my Gerbings, though battery life is 4 hours on low -- which is plenty warm. I also had really good luck with The Warming Store, though it was a bit of a challenge getting through to them. I ordered XL and XXL, at their suggestion, and they cheerfully allowed return of the XL, and quickly provided a full refund.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The ewools are impressive liners. A good fat biking friend swears by them. If I didn't hate the whole liner and out glove combo, I would have gone that route.

I've been having good luck with my Gerbings, though battery life is 4 hours on low -- which is plenty warm. I also had really good luck with The Warming Store, though it was a bit of a challenge getting through to them. I ordered XL and XXL, at their suggestion, and they cheerfully allowed return of the XL, and quickly provided a full refund.
Thanks. Sounds like my first experience - and their automatic default phone system - were the problem, more than the company as a whole.
From all the suggestions here, seems like there are several options that look good, the ewools, the 6.0 Lenz and the Gerbings. Guess I'll give it another go.

@Tom K., how big are your hands? Do you usually fit XL or XXL gloves or mittens? And did the Gerbings run a fair amount snugger than normal, or just a small amount?

For me, the charts seem to always indicate large for most any mitt or glove, but in actual practice trying stuff on, the XL is almost always the right size, especially for the cold specifically. (I'm not a big guy.) As I recall, you are a fairly big guy, so maybe with larger hands than the average bear.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K., how big are your hands? Do you usually fit XL or XXL gloves or mittens? And did the Gerbings run a fair amount snugger than normal, or just a small amount?

For me, the charts seem to always indicate large for most any mitt or glove, but in actual practice trying stuff on, the XL is almost always the right size, especially for the cold specifically. (I'm not a big guy.) As I recall, you are a fairly big guy, so maybe with larger hands than the average bear.

In most brands, I am most comfortable in 2XL, but my hands always measure XL.

In some brands, like Black Diamond (IIRC), it isn't even close.

With the Gerbings, it was close, but I stuck with 2XL thinking that "tighter is whiter" when it's cold out! :ogbiggrin:

So far, I've never once thought they felt big while skiing. The battery weight in the gauntlets is a bit off-putting, though I never notice while actually skiing.

shima

Dojo Owner, Sr Network Engineer, Skier
Skier
I’ve now had a few days this year to compare using my OR Capstone gloves to my new Lenz 6.0 mittens, which I acquired late last spring but didn’t get the chance to test in colder weather until this early season in the PNW.

As previously noted, I sometimes use the Capstones with a shell mitt over them. Being a diabetic with Reynaud’s results in cold fingers, particularly my fingertips. Having a shell makes a diference, though I sometimes remove the shells once things warm up a bit in the afternoon.

The Capstones with two batteries per glove can produce more heat overall, however the heat is distributed the back of the hands and thumb. Even with the shell mitts, I find myself sometimes balling up my fists inside the glove to warm up my finger tips. The Lenz 4.0 mittens that I got a year ago were not much different, with the heat on the back of my hands, and while their battery technology and secure connections are better, the one battery per glove didn’t last all day.

The Lenz 6.0 are a different story. Heat is directed to the fingertips, and there are individual fingertip pockets inside the mitten, you barely notice they are there but they definitely surround your finger tips with warmth. I have yet to need to keep them on high, alternating between low and medium heat. If I wanted to refine the temperature setting more I can use the same Lenz app for my heated socks, with settings for heat level from 0-9, intervals for heat (for instance, 5 minutes on/5 minutes off) to save battery power, etc. I acquired a set of the RCB 1800 batteries for longer lasting power.

I have also tried using glove liners inside the mittens. I couldn’t really feel the heat as much as the liners were insulating my fingers from the heat, I guess. In the end the 6.0’s work great without needing liners.

The quality of Lenz products is outstanding, from the battery and connectors to the mitten itself. I’m not surprised as I have enjoyed their heated socks for years.

I’m probably going to use the Lenz 6.0 from this point on, and maybe keep a spare set of RCB 1200 batteries in my jacket on colder days.
Was thinking of trying the Lenz 6.0 out but a) looks like stock is very limited currently at most online retailers and b) yikes that is the price BEFORE you add another couple hundred bucks for the battery packs...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Was thinking of trying the Lenz 6.0 out but a) looks like stock is very limited currently at most online retailers and b) yikes that is the price BEFORE you add another couple hundred bucks for the battery packs...
All true. And still worth it for me.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Since this thread got bumped...

I have about 5 days now with the Chaval gloves. I have no idea what their designers were thinking with the charging system. It has to be the worst idea ever devised. I struggle to figure out which side of the connector goes to the charger plug and what the correct orientation of the plug should be. Something that should take seconds sometimes takes me a minute or so just to connect the damn charger.

Other than that, the gloves are ridiculously warm. Much better than anything else I've ever tried. On a number of occasions I've found that the gloves alone (heat not on) are too warm unless the temp is below 25*. This was discussed in the past, that a good heated glove needs to be a good glove first then add a great heating system.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One pair is fifty year old Holubar mittens.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a minute!! Didn't they do some of the sew-your-own kits, plus their regular gear? [Massive thread drift. Bye.]

ok, not bye ... I looked it up, and they have relaunched as an Italian company making expensive (but not over-the-top) clothes based on the retro Boulder mountaineering look! no shit! https://www.holubar.com/en/heritage.php Also, I apparently lived two blocks from their first manufacturing facility when I was in Boulder.

Last edited:

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier

I purchased my Lenz 6.0 gloves a few months ago from the EU-based online company snowinn.com and the price was more than half off the price of any North American outfit. The gloves were shipped promptly from Spain using DHL Express and arrived at my place about 9 days after ordering.

Very happy with the Lenz 6.0 gloves! They are much more nimble than my Chaval gloves I purchased a few years ago and I like the adjustable heat range (3 heat-settings) with the Lenz gloves.

For some reason, the Lenz batteries themselves aren't any cheaper through snowinn. But I already had Lenz batteries in hand for use with Lenz heated socks.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I purchased my Lenz 6.0 gloves a few months ago from the EU-based online company snowinn.com and the price was more than half off the price of any North American outfit. The gloves were shipped promptly from Spain using DHL Express and arrived at my place about 9 days after ordering.

Very happy with the Lenz 6.0 gloves! They are much more nimble than my Chaval gloves I purchased a few years ago and I like the adjustable heat range (3 heat-settings) with the Lenz gloves.

For some reason, the Lenz batteries themselves aren't any cheaper through snowinn. But I already had Lenz batteries in hand for use with Lenz heated socks.

Buyer beware: I purchased a couple pairs of Lenz heated socks from Snowinn this past fall, as Christmas gifts. As you say, they are waaaaay cheaper, even with fancy shipping. Ah, fancy shipping. Anyway, as we are aware of, shipping is a little weird now, and since these were presents and needed to arrive on time, I picked the UPS air rather than the DHL boat. Bought the socks, received a "your items shipped!" message a couple days later, and then got a refund a day or so after that. I was confused, but eventually realized that they wouldn't ship the batteries by air, and they were returned to Snowinn. I have purchased socks here before, and it's legit, and cheaper; but before, I had used regular shipping.

tldr: don't buy batteries via international air cargo.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a minute!! Didn't they do some of the sew-your-own kits, plus their regular gear? [Massive thread drift. Bye.]

ok, not bye ... I looked it up, and they have relaunched as an Italian company making expensive (but not over-the-top) clothes based on the retro Boulder mountaineering look! no shit! https://www.holubar.com/en/heritage.php Also, I apparently lived two blocks from their first manufacturing facility when I was in Boulder.
Yeah, I still had/have a huge down parka and subzero sleeping bag of theirs, from more than fifty years ago - except I gave them to my sons. Those things are still just as warm, and sound. Four season camping, once upon a time.

My brother had the same Holubar objects, and used to use them for an annual winter sunrise ski down Mt. Sopris: he'd bivouac at timber line, then hike to the top in time for sunrise, then ski down. Again, once upon a time.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Work wear stores may have some good heated gloves at fair prices.

I just discarded my Chaval gloves. They were unrepairable. I think that they failed when I plugged them into 230 volt power even though the power adapter said it was rated from 100V to 230V and 50 Hz to 60 Hz, the usual for wall warts. Chaval has the usual mediocre 1 year warranty, and they have the problem of very long repair time...for the previous repair they wanted weeks to fix the gloves, and that isn't acceptable in ski season. Also, one can't regulate the heating level. I'm getting less tolerant of cold each year, it seems, and the only option with Chaval is to wear liners inside the gloves. (Japan has 100 volt power, some 50 Hz, some 60 Hz. North America has 120 volt, 60 Hertz. Europe has 230 volt 50 Hz.)

I looked around and decided to chose the brand with the best warranty. Outdoor Research, OR, has a lifetime warranty. If the model is out of the catalog they'll credit the original value toward any new item. My new OR Prevail heated gloves will get their maiden voyage next week, Thanksgiving!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Work wear stores may have some good heated gloves at fair prices.

I just discarded my Chaval gloves. They were unrepairable. I think that they failed when I plugged them into 230 volt power even though the power adapter said it was rated from 100V to 230V and 50 Hz to 60 Hz, the usual for wall warts. Chaval has the usual mediocre 1 year warranty, and they have the problem of very long repair time...for the previous repair they wanted weeks to fix the gloves, and that isn't acceptable in ski season. Also, one can't regulate the heating level. I'm getting less tolerant of cold each year, it seems, and the only option with Chaval is to wear liners inside the gloves. (Japan has 100 volt power, some 50 Hz, some 60 Hz. North America has 120 volt, 60 Hertz. Europe has 230 volt 50 Hz.)

I looked around and decided to chose the brand with the best warranty. Outdoor Research, OR, has a lifetime warranty. If the model is out of the catalog they'll credit the original value toward any new item. My new OR Prevail heated gloves will get their maiden voyage next week, Thanksgiving!
The OR gloves are excellent. I picked up a pair for my wife a few years ago and she loves them. Still going strong after 3+ seasons. I bought myself whatever their top of the line glove was last season. It has 2 batteries per glove which is a little heavy when they'e both in, but super warm and comfortably lasts all day. I would absolutely go with OR again if I needed to buy another pair.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the OR Capstone gloves (with two batteries per glove). The gloves are very good, however the heat is directed to the back of the hand and fingers. Also, the batteries can be damaged if you bend the two halves the wrong way when getting them inserted into the gloves. I've done this a few too many times.

I have gone all in on Lenz heated mittens. Since I already had a couple pair of Lenz socks, I can use the same batteries and chargers for socks and mitten. The 5.0 version of the gloves and mittens direct the heat around each finger. The batteries are better designed and a much more secure and fool-proof connection to the socks or mittens.

Admittedly, they are often out of stock. F-ing supply chain issues.....