• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Kästle MX98

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Where the outgoing MX99 was a ski for the select few, the new MX98 is a ski that more and more skiers can appreciate. "Obtainable" is the one word that describes the MX98. Yes, some skiers will miss the old model, but for the rest of us, the new MX98 will be a much better ski.

The previous model needed speed and gravity to get going, but the new model is, dare I say, playful -- even in the mixed conditions where the old model was right at home. And it is much better in trees and at mortal speeds, where the old MX98 fought you.

Insider tip: We lost the top end of the old model, but for the masses, this is a better ski.​
Drahtguy Kevin: The big brother of the MX line is exactly that. This is a lot of ski that requires the pilot’s attention. The MX98 is a strong and inspiring ride in less-than-ideal late-day conditions; nothing seems to get in its way. Bumps aren’t its forte, but open space and big turns bring grins.

Insider tip: Buckle your helmet and hang on. This ski moves.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers who want a smooth and refined 98mm ski that is not necessarily off-piste-biased. Big-boned or highly proficient skiers will like the 98 when space allows.
Who is it not for?
Bigger, stronger skiers who gravitated to the outgoing model ... sorry. Start stockpiling skis now.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
169, 178, 187
Dimensions
137-98-120
Radius
20.9m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Having owned a second release MX98 in 184 and now and MX99 I love this formula from Kastle for as Kevin states - late day leftovers or day(s) after storm skiing when a full blown carver or 70 something ski isnt really the choice and a 100+ ski is overkill or just much less rewarding. Sure others do a more versitile ski with rocker etc but I have yet to try one as rewarding of good ski technique and that is just such a pleasure to ski. I've found the flex, rebound and refinement to be addictive, as is the unflappable stability and edge hold for something this wide - especially the MX99 it has another gear over every non fis ski I've owned.

For me they sit between a Master SL ski and a 106 freeride ski and gets pulled a good portion of my days on the hill. I have yet to get on the new ski but the modest changes seem like a nudge in the right direction not just for a more attainable ski but a somewhat more versitile one - more sidecut, more forgiving tip and lighter. Should make a lot of folks happy and the finish on the new skis is really sublime and more in line with what one should expect given the price. I'm happy Kastle bid Head farewell based on the quality of what were seeing from the new factory.

Sponsor