• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 K2 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: Big sister to the Mindbender 88Ti Alliance, the 98 brings a wider, stronger experience to the slopes for the woman who wants to charge the steeps. The Ti Y-Beam gives it the torsional grip you want when it's time to engage, yet maintains agility for quick maneuvers in trees, moguls, and chutes. After spending an extended amount of time on the 88Ti, I was excited to get out on the 98 at Mammoth, and I was not disappointed. We skied challenging conditions ranging from wind buff to cream cheese and chopped crud, and this ski handled it all like a dream. K2 has really outdone itself with this Mindbender collection.

Insider tip: K2 has taken its ski design to the next level.​

Awards
Who is it for?
A woman looking for a wider daily driver to charge steeps.
Who is it not for?
The delicate flower.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
154, 161, 168, 175
Dimensions
134-98-120
Radius
15.6m@168cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BBBCE5B1-3EE7-470A-B593-E4147824B511.JPG
Long term update: This is a ski that I have in my permanent rotation and after a day like I had at Mt Rose I remember why, especially after several weeks of hard snow specific skis on early season conditions.
With 3-4 inches of fresh snow over night and continued snow showers when I arrived, I was glad I picked this as my weapon of choice.
This ski is nimble enough to make quick adjustments for varying conditions and stable enough to charge through the cut up snow. They even inspired me to finish my day on a mogul run.
DC87F173-27CD-4406-A945-6CFC973E4BC9.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It had been awhile since I've skied conditions that weren't either groomer zoomer days or legit powder days, so I haven't really spent time on skis in this width.
This at Mt Rose was a day when this ski was perfect for the conditions with a little fresh snow and some incredible wind buff. We hit several laps in trees, skied the Chutes, and hit Sunset's steep moguls. Nothing stopped me with this ski on my feet.
Words I'd use to describe this ski are powerful, engaging, and confidnece inspiring.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tricia - Thanks to your review my wife bought the Mindbender 88 last year and loves them more than any ski she has ever been on. Would you say the MB98ti alliance is a wider version of the MB88 or is it significantly different?

She has been on a Santa Ana 93 for a while but is currently looking for a 98-100 width ski that feels very similar to the MB88 to fill the gap between her MB88 and Atris Bridies. I thought the logical thing would be the 99ti Alliance, but looking at a lot of reviews, I'm wondering if the Black Pearl 98 isn't more similar to the MB88 than the MB98 is.

Thanks for the help. You have never led is astray on skis for the wife!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia - Thanks to your review my wife bought the Mindbender 88 last year and loves them more than any ski she has ever been on. Would you say the MB98ti alliance is a wider version of the MB88 or is it significantly different?

She has been on a Santa Ana 93 for a while but is currently looking for a 98-100 width ski that feels very similar to the MB88 to fill the gap between her MB88 and Atris Bridies. I thought the logical thing would be the 99ti Alliance, but looking at a lot of reviews, I'm wondering if the Black Pearl 98 isn't more similar to the MB88 than the MB98 is.

Thanks for the help. You have never led is astray on skis for the wife!
Yes on the comparison to the 98Ti Alliance.

It depends on what she is looking for in a ski.
the 98 Ti is a bit more chargey than the Santa Ana in the same width. The Santa Ana is more playful and powder friendly where the 98 is more chargy and powerful.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think she is looking for more playful than chargy. She enjoyed her Santa Ana 93's until she felt how playful the MB88 was. Trying to help her get that MB88 fun and confidence inspiring feel in something around 100 wide.

Do you think the MB98 Alliance still has that "fun and confidence inspiring" feel of the MB88 or do you think the 98 is more ridgid/chargy? I have both the MB90 and MB99 and think they both feel very similar, but I have seen more than a few reviews of the 98 Alliance complaining it lost the fun feel of the 88 Alliance.

I very much appreciate your advice. You and my wife seem to have a very similar taste in skis. Thanks again for the help! You all really are the best.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The feel of the 98 Ti is very similar to the 88 Ti. (but wider)

Does she have the Ti version of the 88?

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
She does have the ti version. If you say the 98 feels like the 88, I am going to buy her the 98. Your review and my wife's reaction skiing the 88ti the first time we're nearly identical.

I don't know what K2 did, but the Mindbenders are one of my favorite lines of skis I have been on in nearly 40 years of skiing. They really figured something out.

Thanks again Tricia. You are awesome!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She does have the ti version. If you say the 98 feels like the 88, I am going to buy her the 98. Your review and my wife's reaction skiing the 88ti the first time we're nearly identical.

I don't know what K2 did, but the Mindbenders are one of my favorite lines of skis I have been on in nearly 40 years of skiing. They really figured something out.

Thanks again Tricia. You are awesome!
Thank you.
I really love the Mindbender line, especially the Ti version of their skis.
I have so many skis to test, but I really want to get on the 98 Ti more often.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I feel the same way about the MB90 and MB99. I never thought I would give up my Enforcer 100s, but I haven't been on them once in the last two seasons since I discovered the MBs.

Thanks again for the help. Your advice is always solid!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I feel the same way about the MB90 and MB99. I never thought I would give up my Enforcer 100s, but I haven't been on them once in the last two seasons since I discovered the MBs.

Thanks again for the help. Your advice is always solid!
My pleasure.

Sponsor