• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2021 K2 Recon 130 LV long term test.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have put on 51 days so far on the 2020/21 Recon 130 LV and can't say enough good things about this boot. I don't have a difficult foot to fit however I did have it professionally fit by my LSS, Steamboat Bike and Ski Kare, Harry Martin. The Shell is heat moldable all though I didn't need to have this done. I prefer more forward lean and ski with the spoilers in the boot for a ~14* lean. The Recon's new Ultralon liner is superb with a solid, dense feel that is very supportive and reactive. The liner, coupled with the lightweight shell is a great combination. The Recons are also easy to get into and out of (even when skiing in near-zero temps) making the boot great for the start and finish of the day at my Jeep this season. ( I also pre-heat my boots in a Kulkea heated bag). The 130 flex is very smooth and consistent on my longish Tib/Fib and femurs, and is not overly stout, providing enough support for all mountain skiing. For pure groomers, I would opt for the Pro which is a "140" flex but this boot serves my all mountain needs extremely well and has enough "give" for steeps, bumps and varied terrain. The boot is extremely comfortable and accommodates my low volume ankle, Achilles area and thin lower calf. The buckles are solid and have a wide-range of adjustability.

After the 51 days, the liners have stopped "packing out" and I still have plenty of room for tightening if needed. I did swap out the top strap for a Booster strap; that's my preference on all boots. I also installed Thermic heaters as well. The boot comes with Grip Walk soles which I love; it just makes walking in the boot easier with excellent grip and the rockered toe. I can't feel or perceive any difference when on the snow even when skiing SL skis. Im sure there are pro's who can but 99.90% of the skiers can't. I highly recommend the Recon 130 LV.

I purchased these boots as samples

1615043567236.png

Last edited:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks - boots are as important as the ski. Great review, I’m looking at this boot also.

Reactions: Ron

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
thanks Chris, I appreciate that.
Do you have any experience with the k2 spyne? I bought a new 2017 110 on eBay and love it but it’s about 60 days in and adding a 130 flex seems appropriate. I would have gone with a higher flex but they were around $90 so... Disregarding flex, is this just a better updated version or just completely different. The 26.5 fits me perfectly, not sure if it’s lv or mv, I need to check. Any thoughts on fit or construction. I know it’s a shot in the dark that you would know the spyne but I thought I’d ask, because I’ll boot fit this one like I did the last one (booster, cuff adj., rice in a sock, super feet orthotic).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have any experience with the k2 spyne? I bought a new 2017 110 on eBay and love it but it’s about 60 days in and adding a 130 flex seems appropriate. I would have gone with a higher flex but they were around $90 so... Disregarding flex, is this just a better updated version or just completely different. The 26.5 fits me perfectly, not sure if it’s lv or mv, I need to check. Any thoughts on fit or construction. I know it’s a shot in the dark that you would know the spyne but I thought I’d ask, because I’ll boot fit this one like I did the last one (booster, cuff adj., rice in a sock, super feet orthotic).
Completely different animal than the new Recon series.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
For what its worth I could hardly fit into a K2 Spyne MV (100mm last) and only fit into K2 Spyne HV (102mm last) after extensive punching out. I now have K2 Mindbender 110s (98mm last) and they fit me right out of the box, no liner or or shell heat molding. So as Phil said completely different animal.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
For what its worth I could hardly fit into a K2 Spyne MV (100mm last) and only fit into K2 Spyne HV (102mm last) after extensive punching out. I now have K2 Mindbender 110s (98mm last) and they fit me right out of the box, no liner or or shell heat molding. So as Phil said completely different animal.

This is why boot shopping sucks. That's within the same brand, nevermind trying to compare to other brands.

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
Nice review, thank you.
How does the 2019 Recon 130 compare to the 2020 Recon 130?
Any changes besides color?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice review, @Ron. I have the same boot but the 2019 color. Could not be happier with them.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier

I thought they improved the liner, but I don't know year that happened. I have the first year Recon boot (120) and the 20/21 liner is definitely more substantial in both the 120 and 130.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have about 40 days on mine. Great boots, though they are starting to loosen up in the ankles and I've maxed out the buckles. I may swap liners. Any recommendations?

Anyone use the Recons with Look Pivot 15s? I couldn't get mine to seat well on the AFD; I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I put some photos over on the Look thread:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
24 days on my Recon 130's. Very comfy and they perform well. Not the precision of a Lange RS 130 (my previous boot) but I like these a lot more in bumps and don't feel like I'm giving up a ton in groomed when slingshotting short turns. Overall, I'm impressed with this boot. Lightweight, comfy, and great performance!

Getting these on and off are so easy too. The strap is well executed although I may switch to a booster. I like booster straps though and I've held off so far so.....

For clarification, I have the MV version.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have the current orange Recon 130 MV for this season and having good success with it. My previous boot is the 2019 Atomic Hawx Ultra 110 with a Booster strap. I moved that Booster over to my Recons. I was expecting the Recon 130 to be noticeably stiffer than my Hawx 110, but I barely notice a stiffness change. I also feel the Recon 130 does not shrink as much once it gets cold, as compared to my Hawx 110,

My son bought the 120 Plus ( multi-colour shell ) and looks fantastic IMO.

The 120 Plus also features what K2 calls the "Powerplate" -> an extra layer of plastic for the inside upper cuff. It is adjustable a bit in both vertical and horizontal directions. My son is somewhat of a ski newbie, and I removed that piece for him ( a few small screws and T-nuts ).
Anyone skiing with a "powerplate" in their K2 boot ?

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the 20/21 version of the Recon 130 and I love them. I have about 100 days on them and they are still great. They have plenty of stiffness when I need it without being too solid when some give on impact is required. I haven't loved a boot this much in a long time.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
My son bought the 120 Plus ( multi-colour shell ) and looks fantastic IMO.
Those are pretty cool; but my late 40's self is at my WOW limit with the "normal" orange :) Younger me would have gone for those!

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is also the RWB series ( Red, White, Blue ) which also looks great !

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the 130 flex, is there much difference in input transmission to the ski between the latest Mindbender and Recon ? Do the walk-mode bits provide a bit of lag ?

Sponsor