• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Liberty Evolv 84

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Drahtguy Kevin: This new ski for 2021 follows in the footsteps of the Evolv 90 and 100 with a smooth and predictable ride. Getting the ski on edge and into the turn is a snap. The tip is a tad softer than some of the other ~80mm skis available. That is a good thing, because this is more than a wide carver: it wants to go all over the hill and can do so. The flex and strong tail make for an exhilarating experience no matter the snow conditions. Liberty has another winner.

Insider tip: If caught between sizes, go longer. This ski will take care of you.​

Philpug: Liberty just keeps working with the same formula with their lines and expanding them and gosh darn it, it is working. They introduced the Evolv 90 and 100 last year and hit it out of the park with then and for this year they add a 110 and a mainstream Evolv 84 which is good enough to be the fountation of a solid two ski quiver..with say an Origin 106? Like it's big brother the Evolv 90, the 84 stays planted on the snow and makes beautiful round turns. Liberty just keeps earning our testers respect with their skis.

Insider tip: Trust the ski, it will do exactly what you expect it to do.​

Who is it for?
This would make a great travel ski or narrower end of a Western two-ski quiver.
Who is it not for?
Skiers looking for a wide carving ski will miss the fun staying on the groomed with this ski.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 172, 179, 186
Dimensions
126-84-110
Radius
16m@172cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

WVC7

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Is the 84 that much better on hard snow to make of for loss of versatility you have in 90?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is the 84 that much better on hard snow to make of for loss of versatility you have in 90?
Really, that might depend on expections. If you want one ski to do most everything, the 90 could be the better choice. If you have a two ski quiver, the 84 plus a wide ski could make more sense. There are also people who just prefer a versatile ski in this waist range for them this is a great alternative.

fraojam

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Guys! So I am trying to pick between the Evolv 84, the v82, or the Brahma 82. I'm 6'1" 210 advance/expert aggressive all mountain/frontside high speed carver and I like to play in the mogul fields from time to time and I ski predominately 7 Springs, PA and Snowshoe, WV. I have been skiing the Nordica Fire Arrow 76 and nrgy90 the past few years and I enjoy skiing the Fire Arrows more so the the nrgy 90 which I over power and have too much tip rocker for my liking. I am leaning v82 but was wondering how the 3 skis compare to each other.

Thanks

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I currently have a 2 skis quiver with a V76 (that I like) and a Rustler 9. I found the Rustler 9 to be good a good allround skis but without wow factor and I want something wider for Tahoe soft snow. I am thinking to replace it with a Moment Deathwish, but the gap with the V76 will be important.
Do you think that this Evolv 84 will be a good replacement to the V76 (good frontside capacity with a bit more off terrain and bump capacity than the V series?). I also like to hit the jump in the park but I don't think this is where I want this skis to be great.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: Skied the 179 at Loveland on soft groomed in the AM and piled snow in the PM. Warden Demo's mounted on the line with a 1:2 tune.

If you were a fan of the Evolv90 and/or the V series (pick a width) you will love the Evolv84. Snappy, energetic and fun! The entire Evolv series is more traditionally shaped than most other "all mountain" skis and the Evolv84 has the same conservative tip and tail rocker along with the welcomed camber. It has the same damp and smooth feel Liberty's are known for (and I love) and the 179 length is ideal for those who typically ski a front side ski in the 177-180 range. Note, the Evolv84 ski's to length. The moderate rocker profile coupled with ample camber feels traditional on the groomed. The Evolv series has slightly more tip and tail taper than the V-Series but not so much it becomes numb or sluggish. The farthest 6-8" of the tip down to the contact point is a 6 flex, the main part of the shovel is a 7.5, underfoot a 10, behind the heel a 8 and at the very end of the tail, maybe a 7. Accordingly, the tips flex a bit more than the tails and there is no hinge point in the flex at the tips. At the farthest end of the tips, the flex is softer, giving enough flex to load it up on a carved turn or to allow it to flex and absorb on piled snow and soft bumps. The tail is a touch stiffer than the V series but its a lot of fun when loading it up on edge. It doesnt ski "stiff" when on the snow. Tip engagement is very good for an all mountain ski, just a hair slower than the V series and even with the slightly tapered "off-piste" tail, it engages quite well. What impressed me is how well they engaged and held a turn but you could instantly break into just about any turn shape. I will update as conditions allow more off-piste and bumps skiing however, in the piled snow, the Evolv84 cut through the piles very well with no tip deflection and the ski overall was solid exhibiting good torsional stiffness. I can tell that these are going to be excellent bumps skis.

So, the elephant in the room, is V82 or Evolv84? Easy answer; want something more versatile (more off-piste capable)? Go Evolv84, Want it more groomer focused? Go V 82. Yes, there is cross-over but just stick to where and what you are skiing and you will make the right choice.

Liberty has another hit, and I would say that the Evolv84 is great ski for those who don't want a heavily rockered ski and has skills, or is looking to build skills. I am not a fan of frontside skis with even moderate amounts of rocker, and the design of the Evolv's does an excellent job of providing enough rise for off-piste skiing but not so much that on-piste is performance is muted. The Evolv could easily be a OSQ for the East and a great 2 quiver ski for the west, especially if you aren't looking for a carve-centric ski. For me, I would put this ski right in the middle of power and finesse.

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the long-term review and the comparison with the v82. I think I've convinced a friend to purchase the latter.

You said, "stick to where and what you are skiing and you will make the right choice." How many skiers would be happier with their purchases if they followed this simple advice?

jlabadie1

JL591
Skier
Great reviews Ron..The evolv 84 looks intersting. I am looking to replace my trusted K2 Public enemies as a quiver ski that can handle off piste crud and firm conditions that occur a few days after the storm in Tahoe. Need to navigate bumps getting to good terrain or ski modest bump runs to avoid a groomer. As I have a pair of Soloman QST 98, it seems the 84 is a better choice than the 90....Anyone have thoughts on how the evolv84 would feel relative to my old Public enemies (similar dimensions) or the Solly QST 98...The Sollys have a similar “flatter tip” ..the flat tail of the evolv84/seems to be a difference Of my current skis..Thanks

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
thanks, the QST 98 is a very different ski! The 84 is much more precise and is less muted on the snow. Its quick and nimble and leans much more to the piste side than off-piste where the 98 is designed for. The QST has much more taper and rocker. There's not a lot these 2 skis share in common. On your PE's, I cant recall, those have to be a out 10+years old? I can tell you the 84 again will be more substantial and a much better carver.

jlabadie1

JL591
Skier
Thanks Ron,
That is very helpful.....sounds like the evolv84 would hit the nail on the head for giving me a ski for days when the conditions are firm and dictate more on piste skiing....Since, I primarily ski off piste when conditions allow ( on QST 98 if predominantly soft snow). I am also think the evolv90 might be a good choice as well to compliment my QST 98. Days when much of the mountain has firm snow, but softer sections of crud or powder pockets here and there. Im not searching out big, hard bumps and the 90 would have a little more soft snow performance when I do come across sections of the softer snow on those days. Ill have go look at your write ups on the evolv90...Thanks for posting your reviews!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@jlabadie1 thanks, always happy to help. So the Sali 98 is decidedly off piste oriented by design. Take a look at the amount of taper on the tips/tails along with the rocker. Once you move to Liberty's Evolv Series the design takes on a different approach. the Liberty's are much more traditional and the Evolv's performance is wider. I will be doing a review on the Evolv90 shortly once we get enough snow to warrant their use. The 90 is going to carve pretty well given their 90 width and still handle several inches off piste (I'm the exception as I ski my 77 Augments up to 6-7") very well. they dont have a lot of rocker and will reward those with more skills but are still quite capable for advanced intermediates. It can be an exacting ski as opposed to ski that is slower to edge and engages slower and who's tail is much more vague and rockered. Personally, I am not a fan of vague skis that are used on piste so just be aware of that. If you prefer a easy going, ski that can be easily slid around and aren't used to using the full length of a ski, you might find the Evolv's too much. The Evolv84 is an excellent ski that I could own and ski on almost any day. It was very good on edge and was smooth and easy but still had enough exactness that it was fun on the groomed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^

@jlabadie1 this is Ron's way of saying he's older and more conservative than you when it comes to skis and skiing. (I shamelessly base this on the fact that you are on PEs. Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Anyway, I really like the Evolv feel on snow too. You just can't expect a park-y smeary swivelly kind of ride from them, of the kind you may be used to from your K2s. The Evolv is very directional.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
LOL, I would say I dont like vague or muted ski's intended to be slid around for skiing on-piste But, the PE was a great ski for trees and loose snow :ogbiggrin:

jlabadie1

JL591
Skier
Good points guys...I agree the fact that I like the softer QST (ive seen some refer to them as noodles) and a twin tip makes it reasonable to think that the evolv84/90 may be too much ski for me...Im an old guy too, and never once have skied in the park...I picked up the PEs as all mountain skis and I have really liked them and their versatility, leaning toward off piste...I guess I am willing to think out of the box and try a ski that isn’t “mainstream”...skied on Rossi Bandit 2 back in the day...liked those plenty (Before that I was a tele skier)...The Liberty QMT construction and their shape look really appealing to me...but I am a bit concerned with that tail....
Seems a consistent attribute referenced in the evolvs is “grip” and “damp”, I would really like more of that in my firm snow ski...I get on some steep, rock hard snow trying to get to the good stuff and my current skis are pretty sketchy (I do keep my edges tuned and sharp). Also they tend to chatter..Im pretty solid on turning through the fall line and completing my turns (not slide around), but on steeper bumpier stuff I do like to check up my speed by throwing around the tails at times..So I would have to adapt to the evolv tails, but I think I can do it.
To summarize, I am looking for a stouter ski to handle firm/hard conditions better and it seems the Liberty QMT construction looks like a good one to try...Im thinking there is not that much difference between the evolv 84 and 90 per the 6mm waist difference (1/4 inch)...

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
VMT? I think that's what you mean. so.... If you ski centered (meaning you stay over and balanced over your skis through the turn, and pressure your tips as you engage the edges as you enter the turn, (ball of foot to arch to heel) you should have no issues with the Evolv's tails (or any ski for that matter) this is not the issue of the ski, its the skier. So evaluate your skiing and decide if you need to make some improvements or you are happy with your skiing (theres noting wrong with that) and buy a ski that will better fit how you ski and where.

the lack of grip with your PE's is not due to the tune, its that the ski's are soft and have a lot of rocker.

Theres a significant enough difference between a 84 and a 90 on edge, when skiing flat, not so much. But, where you are skiing will guide you to the 84 or the 90

Last edited:

jlabadie1

JL591
Skier
Thanks..
VMT of course.....got my VMTs and QSTs scrambled...I told you I was old. :)
I make my turns as you describe, pressure the tips and let the skis hook up, I generally turn into and through the fall line...And that is another consistent positive I have heard of the evolvs is that they are easy to initiate turns. One thing good about those PEs is you cant get in the backseat or they squirt out like stepping on a banana peal (in my experience)...so I have learned to stay forward most of the time.
I got my eye out for both evolv 84 and 90s....I am not seeing the evolv84s available online, where there are a number of places with 2020 evolv90 . Ill watch another month or so....the evolv84 is new, I don’t want to pay list price though.
Still thinking the evolv90 could fit me better since I try to ski off piste whenever possible..
thanks again

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
You cant go wrong with either. more loose snow and powder, 90, more groomer use, 84....

im almost 57 btw.

jlabadie1

JL591
Skier
Cool...
Im 65, so we are pretty close...
I see you are in Steamboat Springs...beautiful area

I lived in Fort Collins from 78-82 and got up to Steamboat about 10 times.
Although, I was just getting going as a skier....
Great place to ski and fun town

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
it is a great town! Although most people think its a ski-town, its really not. More like a Ski, hike, bike, run, kayak, Raft,SUP town. :)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I am not seeing the evolv84s available online

I spoke with one of the heads of Liberty this AM about the availability, they are available and you can order them through the Liberty site or one of their dealers, like @SkiEssentials I think with Covid, dealers cut back on orders and since its a new ski, there just aren't as many out there. It is a fantastic ski and Im hoping it will take off next season if not later this season once people get on it.

Sponsor