• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Liberty Evolv 90

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Evolv was a pleasure to ski. Liberty integrated its VMT into a shape that is more akin to the traditional Origin than the newer V-Series skis, but dang it all goes together like peanut butter and jelly. The Evolv 90 is on par with mainstream contenders like the Brahma, Kendo, and even the upcoming Mindbender 90Ti. Liberty is showing that it really deserves to be at the adult table.

Insider tip: Between this and the V92, I am glad I don’t have to decide.​

Tony S: This is the new "in-between" model that Liberty is positioning between the frontside V-Series and backside-oriented Origin lines. I skied it for a whole afternoon, including some really nice corn-y runs chasing @Lady_Salina and crew in the new Beavers sector at ABasin. This is one of those skis that just feels natural from the get-go. Snow feel is superb; Liberty has done something with this construction that makes the base feel like it's hugging the terrain. Mountain bikers will recognize this feeling from when they finally get the pressure on their tubeless tires low enough that they're actually working as designed. Flex is very progressive: not too stiff for bumps, but totally solid at speed in a carved turn. Rebound is ample but controlled. There is not much early rise and that is FINE, since the well-judged tip flex compensates. I could easily be happy with this ski as a daily driver, East or West. As I remarked elsewhere, when on this ski I kept thinking of Sierra Jim and his comments about the many virtues of "medium." Good looks are a bonus, with the subtle colors and textured topsheet. Liberty, if you are listening, the tip does tend to catch a bit in moguls. More taper in the shovel would turn this thing into a bump-eating machine, putting it more squarely between the V-Series and the Origin.

Insider tip 1: Sizing and mount point are spot on. Don't mess.​
Insider tip 2: I heard a rumor that @Drahtguy Kevin also liked this ski. He's like twice my size, swears a lot, and ... well, we are very different. When the two of us like the same ski, that is something to ponder.​

Andy Mink: The new Liberty Evolv series may best be described as a mashup between the excellent groomer V-Series and the more all-mountain-biased Origins. It pulls the Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) from the V skis and the early rise tip profile from the Origin line. Together, I found this ski retains the carving chops from the V Series but with a more broad-based terrain capability.

At 90 underfoot, the Evolv performed really well in edge powder, bumps, chop, and groomers. By the same token, this is not a deep powder performer and gets washy and grabby in deeper or heavier snow. It is very stable and damp at speeds that I consider sane, a product of the excellent technology instilled by Liberty.

Insider tip: Try it one size longer than you think you need.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers who know how to create a variety of turns for the conditions; this ski will obediently do any of them on demand.
Who is it not for?
Those with with old thinking; Liberty is on a roll and it's not waiting for you.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 172, 179, 186
Dimensions
132-90-114
Radius
18.5m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
As per request, pics of rocker profile, Please note the amount of rocker is exaggerated by the pics. it is very slight. near perfect. click to expand

Attachments

• 4C5792CF-76D0-4A6E-9A66-5D4F1F0A6A9B_1_201_a.jpeg
    4C5792CF-76D0-4A6E-9A66-5D4F1F0A6A9B_1_201_a.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 802DE9D7-1728-4C5D-8F34-68B99DA9B400_1_201_a.jpeg
    802DE9D7-1728-4C5D-8F34-68B99DA9B400_1_201_a.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 58

Other Aaron

Give me Site Visits in Ski towns
Skier
how were these in the bumps. looking for something quicker edge to edge to pair with my qst106+shifts as a PNW inbounds ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
how were these in the bumps. looking for something quicker edge to edge to pair with my qst106+shifts as a PNW inbounds ski.
Pretty darn good in the bumps..as good as any 90mm ski can be expected.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Very timely, we are getting 8" overnight and the Evol90's are in the jeep, ready to roll, err, glide.. I will be posting up my Long term update tomorrow afternoon. Should be optimal testing conditions.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Skied at Steamboat 12-16" of fresh powder, then piled snow, areas of scraped off on steeper faces.
Ski: 179 Mounted on the line with Salomon Warden demos.

its no surprise that I loved the Evolv90. I have been a fan of just about anything Liberty has put on the snow over the past 3 seasons. I first demoed the Evolv90 2 seasons back at SIA and really enjoyed them and I bought these for myself this season. As @Philpug said, these are in the same class as the Kendo, Brahma and Mindbender 90, but to me they stand out as the better of the gang. For those who prefer a more traditional shape and feel on the groomed, and for bumps the Evolv90 wins. Liberty has scaled their excellent line of Evolvs, starting out with the Evolv84 which has slightly less tip and tail rocker and may feel a schniggle softer, and then the Evolv90 which has a touch more rocker but, rather than splaying the tips and tails, they simply, and effectively added a longer run (Run=low vertically, longer rocker, extending the theoretical contact point when flat,) which, when the ski is on edge, still proves a longer running length and allows the tip and tail to engage well on the groomed, but also, provides more float and "swivel" when its soft and powdery. The flex overall is a medium +, with the same softish far end the tip (its not too soft) then, progressively stiffens through the shovel. Underfoot is stiff and behind the heel through the tail is medium plus. The ski is also torsionally stiff, skiing through knee deep push piles, it didnt give a hint of deflection allowing me to arc the ski at speed and force.

Now, we have real powder here so I regularly ski a foot and more with skis under 100mm, today I was in 12-15" of untracked to piled. On the untracked, the ski performed well. It has a very nice quickness and ease to the ski and you can modulate turn shape and depth very well. its a flickable, fun ski in the powder. The Evolv is not a schmeary ski, if you stay over your skis it will reward you with consistent performance and I liked when I was skiing broken powder, it didn't flinch when transitioning from untracked pockets to piled snow.

Skiing medium radius turns through broken was excellent, the Evolv90 excels here. Easy, smooth and again, consistent performance. I found that skiing it from fairly centered stance worked best, not overly pressuring the tips, it seemed to flow very well. the ski is stiff enough to track well.

Soft bumps were a joy, the ski has a even flex pattern that arcs well In soft bumps. the tips at the very far-end flex well and the shovels absorb in the troughs and undulations. The quickness of the ski is apparent in the bumps. Really fun ski here. Narrow enough to be quick but had enough brawn too.

I will have it out tomorrow for leftover and hero-snow groomers and more soft bumps.

Who's it for? advanced intermediates and up will enjoy this the most. it rewards skills and while fairly forgiving, it doesn't like to be skied in the backset. The Evolv's ski more traditionally. Those who want a more narrow powder ski will find the Evolv90 to be a great ski for powder to hardpacked runs. It could be a great OSQ for the west but dont do that, own at least 2 pairs :).

Who's it not for? those seeking a soft, schmeary ski will not like the Evolv. Those who cant stay over their skis will not enjoy this ski.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Skied the Evolv90 this AM on 4" fresh over firm and 8-12" in the trees and powder bumps. This Ski is just so damn good! its really about the perfect ski for conditions and varied terrain like I skied today. plenty of float with just enough rocker to ease the tip and tails through bumps, trees and variable terrain. Then, on the open piled groomed, it can be railed, cutting through the piles with GS turns. Solid and stable but not demanding. very complaint to varied turn shapes.

Sponsor