• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2021 Look Bindings

dx111

Booting up
Skier
Does anybody have reliable information regarding the vertical release capability of the toe pieces of the NX 12, SPX 12, Pivot 12/14 and all metal Pivot 15 and 18? I have been led to believe that all NX, SPX and Pivot up to and including 14 support vertical release but the 15 and 18 don't due to their metal construction.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody have reliable information regarding the vertical release capability of the toe pieces of the NX 12, SPX 12, Pivot 12/14 and all metal Pivot 15 and 18? I have been led to believe that all NX, SPX and Pivot up to and including 14 support vertical release but the 15 and 18 don't due to their metal construction.
Closest statement I've found is on the Pivot 15 product page where they discuss the RACE toe. https://www.look-bindings.com/product/all-mountain-bindings-pivot-15-gw-b95-raw They describe the race toe as having 180 deg multi-directional release.

I found this link to the Look catalog. https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/look_2021 lots of information in the last pages, lists heights for toe and heel.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
I think everyone who uses a Pivot for a longer periode of time, will recognize this weakness: a totally destroyed piece of the heel where you put your pole to release.
509E3907-F43A-44A9-BD29-C730A78744E3.jpeg

Such a shame, more so if you think about how easy this is for Look to prevent. Other Look binding have an metal ‘cup’ inserted. Much stronger.

So I was planning to fabricate a similar ‘cup’ to fit into the heelpiece. Before I was even trying to make such a thing I was playing with epoxy glue. The stuff gets hard as a rock. So why not use that?
I mixed some and trickled it onto the heelpiece of my new Pivot 15 and - while I was at it - did the same with 2 pairs of older Pivots.

It’s a bit difficult to see in the picture but it’s the shiny part.
0919BFD3-877F-42E8-AC6E-DD6FECEA8957.jpeg
Y
183CA5E0-ACD6-414E-A186-1FB98E72A949.jpeg

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
^ I turn my pole upside down, a minor hassle but no tip to gouge the bejesus out of the heel-piece.
How very true and how very stupid of me. I used to do that a couple of years ago. Completely forgotten. Do not know why. Perhaps I found it just a bit too much of a hassle, perhaps it did not work for me that well. I really do not know anymore. If I do get in the mountains - by some miracle - this season, I will try again.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as adjustment for different BSL? Yes, that is inherent in the Pivot heel design.

How much BSL adjustment is there is in these bindings after they've been mounted? I saw various numbers on the interwebs but trust what I read here!

dunbustn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You sound like a Look loyalist, good on ya. Only breakage I have experienced with Look is the old RS bindings of the early 80's and that was due to the sub par plastics that were being used back then...but that issue was across the board with almost every binding manufacturer, a problem that persisted into the 90's.
Any idea where one could get replacement plastic for old RS binding as had one heel breaking falling off work bench to cement floor ( grrrr)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How much BSL adjustment is there is in these bindings after they've been mounted? I saw various numbers on the interwebs but trust what I read here!
there is exactly a 0 chance of knowing this, you will need both skis and the specific boot to try

Big X factors are BSL variation, just because it has a mm side of it, doesnt mean its right, or even close, that combined with pivot jig variations, and someone might just put in a mm number, vs actual boot etc.

To make it more funny I recently bought a ski advertised as mounted for 330mm BSL, it was more of a 345 BSL, at its shortest.. ;)

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Typically 2cm max. So, if you mount with the adjustment screws in the middle with a correct forward pressure for a 308mm bsl, you can adjust it from 298 to 318mm at best.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@neonorchid @XSki I flip my poles around to open my Pivots, although it took a while for me to come up with this, so my old Pivot is pretty gouged out like above. Really helps with the new colorful Forzas. I have found it doesn't work well if the snow is wet and your pole is a little flexible. Aluminum poles for the win!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@neonorchid @XSki I flip my poles around to open my Pivots, although it took a while for me to come up with this, so my old Pivot is pretty gouged out like above. Really helps with the new colorful Forzas. I have found it doesn't work well if the snow is wet and your pole is a little flexible. Aluminum poles for the win!
Look is well aware of this issue. I am confident we will see a metal heel cup on the next generation Pivot.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I normally run a 7 to 8.5 DIN on Marker Griffons, and am considering the Pivot 14 and the Pivot 15 for a new pair of skis. Is the upgrade to the 15 worth the extra money and would it be better to be more in the middle of the range of the 14?

Last edited:

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any word on new brake sizes being offered by Look for 2022? I am hoping someting like an 85mm to place on some Stockli AR's.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any word on new brake sizes being offered by Look for 2022? I am hoping someting like an 85mm to place on some Stöckli AR's.
No changes this year. 75, 95, 115, 130 are the offerings.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid