• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2021 Look Bindings

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
As I haven’t been able to ski this season (based in U.K., can’t get over to Alps or Tahoe) I have been spending my time buying skis and switching around bindings for fun. I mostly have Pivots (15 or 18).

My latest incoming is a Cochise 106 flat. And I had ordered a Pivot 15 Forza 2.0 for a Rustler 10 that is now without a binding since I took off a Duke PT 16 and put that on a V-Werks Mantra.

My plan now is to take a Pivot 18 Forza 1.0 off my Bonafide 97 and put that on the Cochise, take a Pivot 15 Gold off a (21) Brahma 88 and put that on the Bonafide, and then put the incoming Pivot 15 Forza 2.0 on the Brahma. The incoming Pivot is a B130 but I have a spare pair of Pivot B95 brakes at the ready. And Pivot 15 Raws on a Ranger 102 FR and a Nomad 115. So the question is, is three swaps not enough and I should do one more, to end up with a Raw on the Brahma rather than a Forza 2.0? Fashion Police call out to all precincts!
CFF0229E-C32F-4FAD-A1BC-93C1C6FBBE75.jpeg

Last edited:

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
Just swapping toes off the bases and dildos off the rear plates right? Shouldn’t have to do any re mounting.
As I haven’t been able to ski this season (based in U.K., can’t get over to Alps or Tahoe) I have been spending my time buying skis and switching around bindings for fun. I mostly have Pivots (15 or 18).

My latest incoming is a Cochise 106 flat. And I had ordered a Pivot 15 Forza 2.0 for a Rustler 10 that is now without a binding since I took off a Duke PT 16 and put that on a V-Werks Mantra.

My plan now is to take a Pivot 18 Forza 1.0 off my Bonafide 97 and put that on the Cochise, take a Pivot 15 Gold off a (21) Brahma 88 and put that on the Bonafide, and then put the incoming Pivot 15 Forza 2.0 on the Brahma. The incoming Pivot is a B130 but I have a spare pair of Pivot B95 brakes at the ready. And Pivot 15 Raws on a Ranger 102 FR and a Nomad 115. So the question is, is three swaps not enough and I should do one more, to end up with a Raw on the Brahma rather than a Forza 2.0? Fashion Police call out to all precincts! View attachment 130151

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok... I have to ask a really dumb question. I bought the Pivot 15 GW but I don't have any GW boots. All my boots are 5355. Do I need to buy a different AFD to use these?

Saller

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The next problem is the 15s leave my boots floating in free space. The gap is about 1mm. I tightened and loosened the forward pressure, but the gap is still there. What am I missing? There's not much left to adjust.

View attachment 128242
I am having the opposite problem, as the boot gets crushed in the toe of my pivot 15 gw.
it’s not sliding smoothly out of the binding which makes me feeling not ok.

i think the boot (Cochise 130 dyn) just doesn’t match the binding, although I am using the alpine sole blocks. Sucks, as the binding is marketed as compatible.
with my older pivot 14 no problem, also they had a sliding afd.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am having the opposite problem, as the boot gets crushed in the toe of my pivot 15 gw.

i think the boot (Cochise 130 dyn) just doesn’t match the binding, although I am using the alpine sole blocks. Sucks, as the binding is marketed as compatible.

A little crushed is ok. The toe piece is designed to rock forward a little providing pressure on both the upper surface of the toe lug and the AFD. This is one reason why Look bindings feel solid. But if it's impeding the release, that's an issue. Then again, since it is all friction surfaces, the Pivot 15 toe is not going to feel as smooth when pushing by hand as a toe piece with rollers; but on snow it works just fine. Can you show some pictures of the situation?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

FWIW…I use Cochise 130 with all my Pivot 18’s…have not seen this issue.

Might want to show a pic/video of boot in binding/ to show what exactly you mean about your release.

Saller

Skier

ok, added some pics.
  • when making the "paper test", the paper will be clamped by the boot/afd and rupture
  • the boot does not slide back into the center elastically when making it release
  • the toe piece tilts slightly forward as to match the boot toe . (see pic, tried measuring it at the front of the toe piece, about 1-2mm, not so much)
IMG_7985.jpg tempImageSqIWSY.png tempImageIweYNZ.png tempImageruXcUr.png tempImageKIg0z1.png tempImagebBYtbh.png

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
ok, added some pics.
  • when making the "paper test", the paper will be clamped by the boot/afd and rupture
  • the boot does not slide back into the center elastically when making it release
  • the toe piece tilts slightly forward as to match the boot toe . (see pic, tried measuring it at the front of the toe piece, about 1-2mm, not so much)
View attachment 184733 View attachment 184734 View attachment 184735 View attachment 184736 View attachment 184737 View attachment 184738
If you have a micrometer measure the height of the toe lug. It should be 19-20mm

Saller

Skier
Measured the toe lug, as shown in the pic - it’s 20,8mm from contact point to contact point.

F19DF664-B555-4037-9D2A-572487861F21.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Measured the toe lug, as shown in the pic - it’s 20,8mm from contact point to contact point.

View attachment 184808
I think we are getting somewhere. That is on the high side, did you measure that in the binding or on a flat surface? The problem with your boot, with the tech inserts there it is difficult to rout the top of the lug to get that almost 2 mm to get it back to DIN spec. The other thing I am seeing is that maybe the binding AFD is not matching up well with the plate on the bottom of the boot, from the side image it looks like it is slighty forward of it, it could be jsut an illusion but check that, that also could be creating a but if height.

Lastly, was the binding every properly function tested to see if it is releasing within range? All of this discussion and concerns might be moot.

Saller

Skier
I think we are getting somewhere. That is on the high side, did you measure that in the binding or on a flat surface? The problem with your boot, with the tech inserts there it is difficult to rout the top of the lug to get that almost 2 mm to get it back to DIN spec. The other thing I am seeing is that maybe the binding AFD is not matching up well with the plate on the bottom of the boot, from the side image it looks like it is slighty forward of it, it could be jsut an illusion but check that, that also could be creating a but if height.

Lastly, was the binding every properly function tested to see if it is releasing within range? All of this discussion and concerns might be moot.
thanks! - I think you are right with all points. and no, the binding is not checked yet.
I measured the boot on a flat surface. measuring top of toe lug to surface.
and yes the afd sits right at the border of the flat section to the rubber portion of the boot sole. but that does not look like its the cause of the problem. however, the pivot distances the boot more from the toe piece in comparison to my other bindings.

it seems the height of 20,8mm is just a bit much. The internet says DIN is 19 +- 1,0 mm.
However I used the boots for all the past years with a lot of bindings and never seen a problem (sth2, pivot14, shift, attacks,kingpin...)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
However I used the boots for all the past years with a lot of bindings and never seen a problem (sth2, pivot14, shift, attacks,kingpin...)
Most of these bindings have manual toe heigth adjustments and with any of these bindings did the toe release in a fall and/or did the toe not release in a fall when it should have?

Saller

Skier
Most of these bindings have manual toe heigth adjustments and with any of these bindings did the toe release in a fall and/or did the toe not release in a fall when it should have?
All good in the past, meaning the binding/toe released when it should have. However, I don’t crash that often…so maybe doesn’t mean that much.

also some of the bindings have been tested with the same exact boot.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
“the afd sits right at the border of the flat section to the rubber portion of the boot sole”
this is a problem I’ve seen with many GW AFDs and alpine din boot soles.
poor execution of a good idea

Saller

Skier

View attachment 184808
coming back to my earlier post. - I don't like the tilt of the toe piece.
therefore I think I will change bindings.

from what I remember pivot14 gw didn't have this problem (don't have it in my possession anymore). anybody know whether the mounting pattern is the same front and back??
or I switch to my trusted sth2 or new strives. but then I have to redrill...
thanks for listening :)

Sponsor