• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll just ask this here before I order the wrong thing. I have a leaky removable style presta on a tubeless tire. I can tell the screw valve is a little messed up when I tighten it. Do I just order a new presta and uncrew and replace the bad one? Anything else to know?

It really is that simple. A little Park or other tool makes it a sano process, but a needle nose pliers will also do the trick.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got out for a good one today. Mid-40s and perfect dirt.

Got a nice look at our first ski area dusting, which was cool, but half of this was gone on my return trip a few hours later. :(

IMG_0432.JPG

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A little rain last night & in the forecast today had me thinking it would be too muddy today. Pleasantly surprised when I went for a little hike on the hill behind my house to find that it was just good dirt again. when I got home I grabbed the bike & headed back up the hill.

The hockey pond
D01C30B8-9783-49ED-91C0-AD074967451C.jpeg

they think I cannot see them
059DCF31-0C05-4383-A594-C2F26F37381D.jpeg

& down for a couple of laps on Sidewinder which is finally a complete 4 mile loop, bridges and all
DD3AD383-AD7A-41D5-BAB1-92016E7576E2.jpeg

5AE24EB6-B94E-4017-A04A-1E1AACD730F7.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure I'm done riding for the year. Between my knee pain after the crash (seems at the very least quadriceps tendonitis) and my shock definitely needing warranty work (TomK mentioned this awhile back) I might as well rest up and get ready for ski season.

Let the snow fly!

4ster

Instructor
Never say never!
Let the snow fly!
I don’t want to curse it but besides today’s little high elevation storm some of the weather guessers are thinking there may be a colder storm arriving this time next week.
:snow:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! I could hack it up about 40 feet of that. Steep with that loose shale type crap that the tires tend to spin on which is SO tiring. Impressive! The track stands to redirect and also probably get a slight moment's rest are also really impressive.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are some easy trails right out from my mom's place in Tucson. No tech, just flowy with some sand. 16 miles of wandering about. While the trail itself is not difficult one must be very aware of the bushes. Pretty much all of them have spines. I think some might have teeth.

Brain: You're supposed to watch for those sharp bushes sticking in from the trail edge.
Eyes: We were watching for cholla balls on the ground.
Arms and legs: You both suck.
Tires: Hey, we're bleeding to death here!

20211109_103547.jpg
20211109_102634.jpg
20211109_102341.jpg
20211109_101954.jpg
20211109_101308.jpg
20211109_110331.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, those cholla cactus are a bit too close for comfort there! Those things are wicked. Our dogs used to get them stuck in their lips, and the horses would get them stuck to their fetlocks (ankles) and it would make them 3-legged lame. They have hooks on the end so are really hard to remove.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Before tubeless tires, I took my bike to Puerto Rico and rode it around Culebra. They had thorns there that would penetrate the anti-puncture strips I installed between the tire and the tube. I spent more time fixing flats than riding. I thought bikes would be fun. Not so much. I was better off walking.

4ster

Instructor
Around here we have so many of these goatshead thorns that before tubeless with sealant many trails were unrideable during certain times. I remember one time getting 6 punctures within a couple of miles.
Goatshead thorn.jpg

Reactions: nay

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Around here we have so many of these goatshead thorns that before tubeless with sealant many trails were unrideable during certain times. I remember one time getting 6 punctures within a couple of miles.
View attachment 148107
Those rank right up there with stepping on Legos.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw this in a shop today. Interesting as I'd watched a video about them
20211110_142047.jpg
(or a similar one) a while back, maybe on here.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Trust forks, the brainchild of Dave Weagle of DW Link suspension fame.

The forks were interesting from several perspectives, and held back by reportedly poor damper design.

They folded up their tent awhile ago.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Trust forks, the brainchild of Dave Weagle of DW Link suspension fame.

The forks were interesting from several perspectives, and held back by reportedly poor damper design.

They folded up their tent awhile ago.
Covid issues and a >$2500 price tag didn't help either. I think they sold for just under $2k at the end of the run.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
OK so I’m hoping to get a final season ride in at Hartman Rocks this weekend so I kinda need to know. Ribs never heal (it seems) so it’s a question of are they usable :P. Also, better not wreck. But I could tour.

Also, I just ordered composite 1up pedals again. Alloy are fun for looks and slightly lighter, but they don’t absorb hits at all and sometimes they grab and hold on and cause these ugly wrecks. The last two “more than scrapes” wrecks I’ve had were both rock sharks on flat terrain just not seeing it and the pedal grabs and whipped the bike (and unfortunately also the rider) to the ground.

Enough of that crap, jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor