• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just signing on to say my ribs are still completely nuked so I think I’m going to take a test ride today.
I'd say it's getting close to ski season so be on high alert but that never works so instead I'll say life is short so throw caution to the wind :bikewheelie:

& you're right, ribs never heal but they do get better... eventually.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
OK so I’m hoping to get a final season ride in at Hartman Rocks this weekend so I kinda need to know. Ribs never heal (it seems) so it’s a question of are they usable :P. Also, better not wreck. But I could tour.

Also, I just ordered composite 1up pedals again. Alloy are fun for looks and slightly lighter, but they don’t absorb hits at all and sometimes they grab and hold on and cause these ugly wrecks. The last two “more than scrapes” wrecks I’ve had were both rock sharks on flat terrain just not seeing it and the pedal grabs and whipped the bike (and unfortunately also the rider) to the ground.

Enough of that crap, jeez.
Huh? Ski tour? Bike tour? Enquiring minds and all that...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, I just ordered composite 1up pedals again. Alloy are fun for looks and slightly lighter, but they don’t absorb hits at all and sometimes they grab and hold on and cause these ugly wrecks. The last two “more than scrapes” wrecks I’ve had were both rock sharks on flat terrain just not seeing it and the pedal grabs and whipped the bike (and unfortunately also the rider) to the ground.

Enough of that crap, jeez.
shopping.png

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Huh? Ski tour? Bike tour? Enquiring minds and all that...
Bike for sure, flowy Hartman miles instead of tech.

It went well enough, pulling up for ledge climbs is a bit of a no-no (like is it a heart attack), but the riding actually helped like I hoped it would. Just get so stiff sitting around injured stiff. Once stuff starts popping it’s gonna be alright, right?

99DACECD-8581-4B22-A16C-4C7A76794E55.jpeg
EBA48E65-76A7-409E-AAC0-5874BAEFB45E.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lord, no. Then you get scorpion’d when you wreck, I’ll take the ribs :P

Wrong perspective. Actually SAVES time hunting for the bike after a crash.

Kinda like we never used to lose skis on pow days when we had safety straps! :ogbiggrin:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Wrong perspective. Actually SAVES time hunting for the bike after a crash.

Kinda like we never used to lose skis on pow days when we had safety straps! :ogbiggrin:
This is true. You can make sure you are still attached to the bike for stability while you rearrange your collarbones :ogbiggrin:

Honestly, pedal clearance is a real thing and my bike has a really low bottom bracket. With the X2 shock vs. the now defunct Jade X coil setup, I have more sag, and I’ve clipped a few things I wasn’t clipping. This was a perfect imperfect example. Downhill it doesn’t matter because you shouldn’t be dropping pedals, and I’ve seen a few of my son’s friends get hurt because they got into a techy spot and couldn’t get unclipped.

I’m too old for all of this, probably, but I can sneeze without blacking out so things are headed in the right direction. Maybe lower rib injuries get better sooner. Probably not.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know it’s time to think about skiing but man the dirt is good!

We've got at least 3 weeks before the lifts spin here -- regardless of snow quantity -- so I've been loving the extended riding season this fall.

A little muddy right now, but things should be good by midweek, for one last good window.

Fingers crossed!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Hartman Rocks went well, ribs held up, paying for it a bit this morning, but hey that’s all good. Had two of my sons plus friends, plus another dad and his buddy testing out his old e-bike. Those two go back to the late 60‘s in Crested Butte when men were men or something like that. Hartman’s a great place for an e-bike with all the little punchy climbs through the various rock outcroppings. You just get so much vert for a place that doesn’t seem that…tall…

Anyway, pics. I got my youngest starting to take some A lines finally. I think he grew a few inches keeping up with the college kids.

C13110C4-0849-4F28-979F-E25A656320D7.jpeg

The B line here is around this rock and through the little notch, it’s a classic worse line than just rolling the A line.

4D3F274C-2F57-40F5-8152-8B549849ADCC.jpeg
35CA179B-78D5-463D-97AE-9B8DF106045A.jpeg

Me showing him that line before he dropped it.

F3E4E5CB-C4C4-4A9A-B51E-CC3256069394.jpeg

Hartman is full of alternative lines like this - the main trail is the second pic above, just depends how much steeper and chunkier you want it.

3605123A-194C-45B3-ACA9-2AFDBECEAE3E.jpeg

Son #2 going huge off an erosion cliff. This was hard to ride down, you had to take a sharp loose corner and then let it go to the bottom. As always, so much steeper than it looks.

DE83AF39-5DDB-4E61-B249-4A77E0F56D31.jpeg

“The Notch”

73724618-7561-47C2-8D01-1BFA93C24CBC.jpeg

641F73B2-80A1-4745-86BA-78E3308913DF.jpeg

Getting ready to drop into Rattlesnake looking north to CB. Gorgeous day.

357B8BB2-E623-4FC6-B7BC-85CF4B6840C5.jpeg

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Back to North Fork with the crew on Sunday but closed again today
0B7D413C-A28D-415F-BC4E-AC37D922088F.jpeg

Sardine with friend Jeff on Monday
AB5C40AF-8EBF-402E-B7C7-056C259471F5.jpeg

South Skyline this afternoon
160C0AB7-899D-47F3-9CC4-7C647130C405.jpeg

Almost reached my mud tolerance level in a few spots & it was no longer shorts weather
46158EDC-345B-4B7E-A90B-8FDFD2874A9D.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good fast frozen dirt today. Didn't break freezing. Steely skies, so nothing worth photographing.

If NOAA knows anything, this will have been the last snow-free ride of the season.

Hoping it's time for skis and fat bikes soon!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to PT yesterday. He wants me doing light spinning to clear fluid that has accumulated under my patella. Thinks I sustained a bone bruise and no soft tissue damage.

Too stinking cold for me in the mornings to ride, though. So I hit the indoor trainer. I would sure like this biking weather to go away and for the snow to arrive!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were out on Cape Cod MA for Thanksgiving. My wife and I did a ride at Otis on Wednesday afternoon and then I went out for a bigger ride the next morning. It was dry so superfast rolling hills and seemingly endless network of single track. Cool place, not too busy and there are random stupid things that I didn't do. At least this one had a ladder which I guess I might try next time.
20211124_145121.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Couple of cross-posts from the low-traffic fat biking thread. Great thanksgiving weather for biking, and we're slowly starting to accumulate snow up at the ski hill.

Moon Shot.JPG
the s

Dollar Lake TGiving 2021.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online