• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 or 2022 Toyota Sienna AWD as road trip vehicle

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We will be making a road trip west with our 2 dogs next summer. I wasn’t going to consider a new vehicle, but the new Sienna AWD (hybrid) seems to fit the bill as a great road trip vehicle: lots of room, good tech, an AWD option, and great gas mileage. The only bummer is the 2nd row seats are no longer removeable, but can be shoved far forward. However, when traveling with 2 dogs, I do want them in seats because I buckle them in with seat belts on dog harnesses for safety.

I never thought I’d consider a minivan but it appears just more practical in terms of comfort and space, and the 35mpg is great. I no longer want a vehicle that gets under 30mpg, so I’m psyched by this.I’d be looking to purchase one in the fall or winter.

Does anyone have any advice? Hints on outfitting for a long road trip? (@jmeb )?

The 2022 Sienna comes in a “woodlands” version that is lifted, but it’s only 0.8“ higher than the standard version. Doesn’t seem like a big advantage.

Here’s an interesting take on this vehicle:

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's no Yukon XL aka S.S.SkiTalk but it will do.
:P
The Yukon is your kind of vehicle. The Sienna is a little more my speed.
I’m not afraid to be a geek in a minivan. ;)
My husband thrives on being a geek, so it should suit him too.

I just don’t think that “Woodlands” version would be worth the extra $. What does 0.8” of extra clearance (for a total of 7”) gain me?

James

Out There
Instructor
You should check out the realities of a hybrid on the highway. Oh, and the awd. My sister had a hybrid Highlander back when gas was approaching $5/gallon. The thing is, if you did 80 on the highway, you saved no fuel. I think it used more. So, hybrid for her actually didn’t save fuel.

Maybe they’ve fixed this, but worse was the awd system. They had an electric motor for the rear axle. So, the fine print no one read reared it’s head the first snowstorm. If the rear wheels spin, the motor shuts off so it doesn’t burn out. This lead to getting stuck in storm 1.

All those things may have changed, but best to check it out. Esp the awd. That really was terrible. (The tires were also so bad Yokohoma had a recall. At the time the size was so odd there was hardly any choice)

I will say I drove a rented Sienna, brand new, full of people into nyc the summer before the pandemic. Very nice.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:P
The Yukon is your kind of vehicle. The Sienna is a little more my speed.
I’m not afraid to be a geek in a minivan. ;)
My husband thrives on being a geek, so it should suit him too.

I just don’t think that “Woodlands” version would be worth the extra $. What does 0.8” of extra clearance (for a total of 7”) gain me?
Paging @RachelV to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone. She jacked her Sienna up. I think you can easily gain that .8" with a different tire/wheel setup and for when you need it ie for winter not for highway travel.

Minivans are the new cool...well almost as cool as a wagon but those that are in the know...know. ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only bummer is the 2nd row seats are no longer removeable, but can be shoved far forward.

The 2022 Sienna comes in a “woodlands” version that is lifted, but it’s only 0.8“ higher than the standard version. Doesn’t seem like a big advantage.

We're on our second Sienna AWD with nothing but love for it. A new one was in the pipeline until the non-removable seat issue surfaced. Deal killer for us.

Another way to look at the Woodlands version being lifted "only" 0.8" is that it will be just enough to maybe matter in snow, but have no real downsides, unlike if it were lifted two inches. Maybe it also has slightly more aggressive tires and tread pattern?

I'd say go for it, but with eyes wide open. As @James noted, you will see nothing remotely close to 35 mpg on the highway, especially at today's freeway speeds.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of questions.

What kind/type of road trip?
Where are you heading into?
Trip duration?
Will you be camping out of it or separate lodging?
What will you be carry?
How much weight will be carried by the mini-van?
Cargo composition?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should chec...

All those things may have changed, but best to check it out. Esp the awd. That really was terrible. (The tires were also so bad Yokohoma had a recall. At the time the size was so odd there was hardly any choice)
I haven't bought new in a while but always would check if you can swap out the OEM standard tires for the "better" ones. I personally think it's worth the delta given the tread life. I don't think I would care for OEM standards for 30K miles.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
We will be making a road trip west with our 2 dogs next summer. I wasn’t going to consider a new vehicle, but the new Sienna AWD (hybrid) seems to fit the bill as a great road trip vehicle: lots of room, good tech, an AWD option, and great gas mileage. The only bummer is the 2nd row seats are no longer removeable, but can be shoved far forward. However, when traveling with 2 dogs, I do want them in seats because I buckle them in with seat belts on dog harnesses for safety.

I never thought I’d consider a minivan but it appears just more practical in terms of comfort and space, and the 35mpg is great. I no longer want a vehicle that gets under 30mpg, so I’m psyched by this.I’d be looking to purchase one in the fall or winter.

Does anyone have any advice? Hints on outfitting for a long road trip? (@jmeb )?

There's no such thing as "not removable".
1622868279846.png

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, thanks for the responses. I’ll respond in order.

You should check out the realities of a hybrid on the highway. Oh, and the awd. My sister had a hybrid Highlander back when gas was approaching $5/gallon. The thing is, if you did 80 on the highway, you saved no fuel. I think it used more. So, hybrid for her actually didn’t save fuel.

Maybe they’ve fixed this, but worse was the awd system. They had an electric motor for the rear axle. So, the fine print no one read reared it’s head the first snowstorm. If the rear wheels spin, the motor shuts off so it doesn’t burn out. This lead to getting stuck in storm 1.

I will say I drove a rented Sienna, brand new, full of people into nyc the summer before the pandemic. Very nice.
I’m aware that the AWD is not mechanical, but via an electric motor. So, no, it’s not going to be as good as a mechanical AWD. Your comment about your sister’s gas mileage is interesting. My brother has a hybrid RAV4, which he loves and says he consistently gets 40mpg. I don’t know about his highway driving speeds, but when I’ve driven with him in this vehicle he’s no slowpoke. A question to ask of him, too. He’s an electrical engineer and a big Toyota hybrid fan.

Do you remember what year your sister bought that Highlander? The year I remember gas prices that high was around 2008 or so.....was it that long ago?

The tires are inconsequential....I’d definitely put winter tires on the vehicle as I always do. I have driven FWD vehicles with winter tires in snow storms with great results. I’m not one of those people who think just because they have AWD that they are good to go. Tires are key. I recall driving you and Rachel in my little Subaru Impreza with snow tires in a snowstorm from the Trapp Family Lodge to the Burlington airport with no difficulty. Before that, I drove a Honda Civic through lots of snowstorms with no issues. ogsmile

Oh yeah, and I did drive with @SBrown in her super cool van that is FWD in the snow down from ABasin to Keystone. (She’s got way more clearance though).

I will definitely test drive this vehicle, several times, before I buy. Your sister’s experience is one to consider and use to ask further questions. Thanks.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're on our second Sienna AWD with nothing but love for it. A new one was in the pipeline until the non-removable seat issue surfaced. Deal killer for us.

Another way to look at the Woodlands version being lifted "only" 0.8" is that it will be just enough to maybe matter in snow, but have no real downsides, unlike if it were lifted two inches. Maybe it also has slightly more aggressive tires and tread pattern?

I'd say go for it, but with eyes wide open. As @James noted, you will see nothing remotely close to 35 mpg on the highway, especially at today's freeway speeds.
The non removable 2nd row seats are definitely a sticking point for many. Toyota says they placed additional airbags around those seats, which required that they not be removed. At least that’s what I saw in a video. Still doesn’t quite make sense. There’s a small hope that they changed this for 2022, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s not a deal breaker for us, because we have 2 dogs, and while driving, they need to be in seats. I belt them into their hardness so they don’t slide around or jump up suddenly. Plus, they need be at seat level to look out of the windows. :)

There isn’t enough info out yet about the Woodlands edition. I’ll have to wait until (IF) I can see one in the flesh in the fall.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The non removable 2nd row seats are definitely a sticking point for many. Toyota says they placed additional airbags around those seats, which required that they not be removed. At least that’s what I saw in a video. Still doesn’t quite make sense. There’s a small hope that they changed this for 2022, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s not a deal breaker for us, because we have 2 dogs, and while driving, they need to be in seats. I belt them into their hardness so they don’t slide around or jump up suddenly. Plus, they need be at seat level to look out of the windows. :)

There isn’t enough info out yet about the Woodlands edition. I’ll have to wait until (IF) I can see one in the flesh in the fall.
Air bags are removeable too. Just say'n.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of questions.

First definite road trip is going to be from PA to CO to NM in May 2022. There may be an earlier road trip if I buy this vehicle in winter; then I’ll use it for a ski road trip somewhere. We are visiting these places for a month to look for possible retirement homes.
No remote travel, just into Alma CO for a short rest and then onto Grand Junction and Santa Fe for the month.
Trip duration?
4-5 weeks.
Mostly separate lodging. I already booked places via VRBO. We might possibly camp out of it on the way out, not sure yet.
What will you be carry?
2 people, 2 dogs, day-to-day gear (we are good packers with lots of experience in this), bikes on a trailer hitch rack. In winter, the typical ski trip stuff.
Hmmm...6-700lbs? If carrying camping gear, then a bit more.
Cargo composition?
See above.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

It looks like an awesome highway vehicle but it really lacks the clearance for most winter conditions off the highway and also a lot of the trail head access in the summer (at least around here in Colorado) unless lifted and with fatter tires.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't bought new in a while but always would check if you can swap out the OEM standard tires for the "better" ones. I personally think it's worth the delta given the tread life. I don't think I would care for OEM standards for 30K miles.
Definitely a consideration, and a must for the winter.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, some things to think about for now. Keep comments coming.

Another conundrum I have is our existing 2 vehicles. I really don’t want to have three. We are conservative that way, we are also financially pretty conservative when it comes to cars. My husband drives his until they basically fall apart. He’ll replace parts when needed until it’s just not practical to do so anymore. They are people movers for us, not toys. This isn’t to say they shouldn’t be fun, etc. Fuel efficiency and reliability for important.

Our existing vehicles are a 2015 Outback and a 2005 Xterra (off road....skid plates, heavy duty shocks and off road tires).

The Outback is in great shape and I’ve loved it, but I have some issues with it, especially for long trips. The seats are as comfy as I’d like. With 2 dogs and gear, it’s a tight fit (we’ve done it before). I’ve had to replace both rear wheel bearings after 80,000 miles as well as the axels. Not real happy about that. I’m on my third battery, which seems a bit unusual. (No I didn’t leave interior lights on or anything like that). The navigation sucks and I don’t use it.

The Xterra has been used for real off reading, in Utah. It was bought for utility. It’s in really good shape and our mechanic says it’ll have no problem reachin’t 250,000 miles (it is at 160,000 now). New shocks, bearings, etc. It’s old school and that’s fine with us for this vehicle and that’s part of its charm. For a cross country trip with dogs we are in the same boat as we are with the Outback, it’ll be cramped (which gets tiring after all those miles) and of course the gas mileage on a 4WD truck is not efficient. It would also be nice to have some more creature comforts than it offers for a long trip.

My thought was to sell the Outback. My reasoning is that the Xterra was my husband’s field vehicle (he’s a geologist) and I don’t want to get rid of his beloved vehicle. He really does love that thing, and he’s not one to become really attached to vehicles. In normal use, it doesn’t get driven much. I’m afraid that if I keep the Outback, over the next few years I’ll really resent that vehicle, even though I’ve loved it until the last few months.

With a new vehicle purchase, we will not buy another for another 2 years, until after we move. We are saving our $ for the move and new house and I don’t want to dump even more $ into another vehicle. Could we do it if necessary? Sure. But it would be sort of dumb, financially.

So, I guess this leads me to my next question: Is my reasoning behind selling the Outback for the Sienna a valid one?

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like an awesome highway vehicle but it really lacks the clearance for most winter conditions off the highway and also a lot of the trail head access in the summer (at least around here in Colorado) unless lifted and with fatter tires.
Yeah, I know. I’m not unfamiliar with the west...both of us have kicked around a lot out there, and in a lot of remote places. For this particular trip, we most likely won’t be accessing many trail heads...the ones I know I want to hit, I’ve been to and are accessible. In Alma, we will have trail access right from the house we are renting. Good enough. Otherwise, we will just be driving on main roads.

In Grand Junction, I’m not worried. Again, we’ve been around that area a lot and are familiar. (My husband’s field research area is near there).

In Santa Fe and other areas around the Sangre de Cristos, there’s some easy trail access.

Once we live out there, I’d imagine we’d use the Xterra for those places you describe.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of questions.

Trip duration?
What will you be carry?
Cargo composition?
Grump, don’t you travel west in a minivan? Your experience is then helpful to me. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online