• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 or 2022 Toyota Sienna AWD as road trip vehicle

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
this '22 model will be via two E motors -
Super cool idea with the electric VW van, but too many unknowns. The 250-300 mile charging range for a van isn’t great. It’s weird that the narration was by bot, not a real human being.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I had a conversation with the manager at a local dealership. He told me he wasn’t sure if the Woodlands edition of the Sienna would even be produced. (I was a little skeptical during this conversation). Anyway, I ended up contacting the one guy who does YouTube videos; he’s here on this thread somewhere (The guy that did the comparison between the LE and XLE). He’s a social media guy for a Raleigh dealership but he does arrange sales. He said, that manager has no idea what he’s talking about, it is absolutely being produced.

Anyway, he said I could preorder in the fall, and fly down to Raleigh and pick it up there, paying MSRP. (He said that pre-ordering the vehicle is probably the way to go). He’d pick me up at the airport. Or have the car delivered up here. Huh. It’s very cheap to fly to Raleigh from here. I cannot stand the two Toyota dealerships here.

Is this a dumb idea? I hate buying cars. I absolutely cannot stand haggling at dealerships. Puts me in a foul mood.

If I decide to purchase this vehicle, I’m going to sell the Outback. Should I sell it here or trade it in? What’s the easiest way to sell it? @Philpug ?

This is several months away at least but it helps to have a game plan.
If I was in the vehicle market, and had a extra vehicle to drive. I would sell it locally, used car prices are super high at the moment. Think about the covid money that has been given out. Thats about how much higher the used car prices are. Take advantage of that if you can. That would be my advice. You trade it and they will try to steal it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I decide to purchase this vehicle, I’m going to sell the Outback. Should I sell it here or trade it in? What’s the easiest way to sell it? @Philpug ?
It depends what your tolerance is for dealing with the average comsumer. The market is very volatile right now and I don't know what it will be like in a few months. When you get closer start with Carmax, Carvana and Vroom for a baseline price. What I did withe old S.S. Pugski is I got that number, put it on FB market for about 1K over that and took a number in the middle from the first person to look at it. I didn't feel like holding out for the last dollar (since I was happy with the Carmax number to start) because I have a simple sales phil-osophy "your first profit is your best profit and your first loss is your best loss".

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
No better time than right now to sell a used car. Vroom, carmax, etc is the easy way to go.

The Woodland is being produced. At least says a personal contact who is relatively high up at the plant that makes Sienna in Indiana.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a simple sales phil-osophy "your first profit is your best profit and your first loss is your best loss".
Wow, I think the above is New Day-New Wisdom worthy.

Never mind sales; it's a very good investment strategy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a conversation with the manager at a local dealership. He told me he wasn’t sure if the Woodlands edition of the Sienna would even be produced.
The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear comments like this. This is how 90% of the dealers give the rest a bad name, the blatant lying. In fairness, 90% of the customers lie too. "Just looking", "Not buying today", "You are my first stop" "No, it has never been in an accident", "I'm paying cash".... ;)

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear comments like this. This is how 90% of the dealers give the rest a bad name, the blatant lying. In fairness, 90% of the customers lie too. "Just looking", "Not buying today", "You are my first stop" "No, it has never been in an accident", "I'm paying cash".... ;)
Yeah, I figured he was lying. There is a 2021 Sienna on his lot, the trim level and options I Inquired about (aside from the Woodlands version). He probably wanted to sell it. It’s a good price but I’m not ready to buy a new vehicle yet. I was totally up front with the guy, telling him no, I’m not ready to buy, but I’d like some information from you because I may decide to buy here in the fall, and I‘d like to find out what the inventory situation may be like at that point.

I figured he’d probably try to make a sale anyways, but the lying about the Woodlands version is pretty low. Unless he’s just completely clueless.

There’s two of us in this household, @djetok , so at this moment we need two cars. If there was a way we could go down to one for a few months I’d just sell the Outback now.

You didn’t answer my other question, @Philpug : Is it dumb to consider buying from the NC dealership if I feel I’ll have a better experience and get better service?

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Yeah, I figured he was lying. There is a 2021 Sienna on his lot, the trim level and options I Inquired about (aside from the Woodlands version). He probably wanted to sell it. It’s a good price but I’m not ready to buy a new vehicle yet. I was totally up front with the guy, telling him no, I’m not ready to buy, but I’d like some information from you because I may decide to buy here in the fall, and I‘d like to find out what the inventory situation may be like at that point.

I figured he’d probably try to make a sale anyways, but the lying about the Woodlands version is pretty low. Unless he’s just completely clueless.

There’s two of us in this household, @djetok , so at this moment we need two cars. If there was a way we could go down to one for a few months I’d just sell the Outback now.

You didn’t answer my other question, @Philpug : Is it dumb to consider buying from the NC dealership if I feel I’ll have a better experience and get better service?
I would follow phils route then.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just flew to NC to buy a car. As far as service, any franchised dealer will service any car if their brand. Service and sales are mutually exclusive, Service does not care where the car was purchased.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right now, car sales are through the roof, and used cars are at an all time high for value. Your Subaru looks to be worth about $12-13k on trade in (depending on miles). That's a pretty good chunk of change towards a new car. The Xterra isn't worth much because of the age.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Xterra isn't worth much because of the age.
It might be worth less more right now because they have created a following....especially in yellow, one of the hotter colors in the used car morket.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"We've decided to wait awhile."
"How about if I knock $1000 off the price?"
"OK, sold!"

Said a "friend" of mine. :ogbiggrin:

@Wendy, if the epic road trip takes you through here, I hope you'll visit!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The Xterra isn't worth much because of the age.

That depends entirely on where you're selling it. There is a large market for them in many area of the US West where people understand the difference between and "SUV" and an SUV.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

s-_GAHo059OZ.ceLsb3VcY1.jpeg
14" rims, 145hp, AND a cassette deck?! Now we're talkin'!

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now, car sales are through the roof, and used cars are at an all time high for value. Your Subaru looks to be worth about $12-13k on trade in (depending on miles). That's a pretty good chunk of change towards a new car. The Xterra isn't worth much because of the age.
Yeah, my Subie is worth about $12,000. Fortunately, for the next few months, there are no big mileage trips planned for it, and all I’m basically doing is running errands.

The Xterra is really a truck in real terms versus a car-based SUV. It’s the real-deal off road vehicle, solid like a tank. We’ve used it for that purpose quite a bit, and it performed far better than the Wrangler that one of our friends who was with us had. It’s got a little bit of body rust but the underside is in terrific shape.

Sponsor

Staff online