• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 or 2022 Toyota Sienna AWD as road trip vehicle

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy

Agree on the Cross Climates, great reviews but their not snows. Be great if you can get the factory treads swapped for a delta. I always tell myself if buying new, ild work the deal on condition of an upgrade.

Otherwise, question may be if you think your travels are on plowed roads over deeper snow.

Plowed I like the Michelin ice x snows, work great on our Explorer.
Not sure if I can get the factory tires switched. Didn’t know this was a thing.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Are there R18 passenger/SUV tires with an aspect ratio greater than 65 out there? Is that what @Philpug means by “beefy?”

65 aspect ratio is plenty for anything you will throw the minivan at. By beefy I expect it means a tire that gives up a little bit of highway plushness or performance with stouter sidewalls / weight rating and more aggressive tread. I run a slightly higher load rated tire than stock just because i know it's frequently loaded with camping gear and being driven on rough roads. Durability and piece of mind is worth the maybe 1/2 mpg and any 1% braking/acceleration losses associated with a heavier tire.

I'd be shocked if Toyota lets you swap factory tires for anything other than full price + install.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd be shocked if Toyota lets you swap factory tires for anything other than full price + install.
It is not Toyota's call but the dealers and you will not get a 1:1 swap. Once a tire rolls, it is considered used and cannot we swapped to another new car or be sold as new, this is why we see some many brand new take offs on secondary markets like Ebay, CL and FBM.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
That now only applies to the LE trim.
The XLE trim for 2022 is now just the Woodland edition, which will be my vehicle.
I was assuming it would have 17” wheels but they are actually 18”.
Are there R18 passenger/SUV tires with an aspect ratio greater than 65 out there? Is that what @Philpug means by “beefy?”

My other thought is to just go with a very good all weather tire and be done with it. Don’t over think things. @James A reason for this is wacky weather patterns. With clímate change, there are more extremes….and those weird warm spells in winter aren’t great for snow tire rubber. My Outback has separate rims with snows, and it can be great, but….then we get some stupid warm days in February or whatever and then I’m driving on rubber that behave like a pencil eraser, LOL. (I’m keeping the Outback …will be husband’s main car…and once the one set of those tires (winter or “regular” tires) are done, we may switch to good all weathers and be done with it).

When we move in 2023, the 2 top locations we are considering may both have some warm spells in there, but one more than the other.
The spec sheet for 2022, lists the XLE having 17" also.

17-in. alloy wheels with P235/65R17 tires (LE FWD, LE AWD, XLE FWD, XLE AWD)
18-in. metallic wheels with P235/60R18 tires (XSE AWD, Platinum AWD)
18-in. bright wheels with P235/60R18 tires (Woodland, Limited FWD & AWD)
20-in. dark wheels with P235/50R20 tires (XSE FWD) 20-in. metallic wheels with P235/50R20 tires (Platinum FWD)

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The spec sheet for 2022, lists the XLE having 17" also.

17-in. alloy wheels with P235/65R17 tires (LE FWD, LE AWD, XLE FWD, XLE AWD)
18-in. metallic wheels with P235/60R18 tires (XSE AWD, Platinum AWD)
18-in. bright wheels with P235/60R18 tires (Woodland, Limited FWD & AWD)
20-in. dark wheels with P235/50R20 tires (XSE FWD) 20-in. metallic wheels with P235/50R20 tires (Platinum FWD)
My car is the Woodland. I have the build sheet for the vehicle I’m purchasing.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My car is the Woodland. I have the build sheet for the vehicle I’m purchasing.
Re-read what you wrote earlier, you said XLE = Woodland edition, but there is a $5k price difference between XLE and Woodland Edition.

Technically, what I wrote, the lower end trims have 17", since LE and XLE are lower end trims, with a plural
22 Sienna.jpg

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re-read what you wrote earlier, you said XLE = Woodland edition, but there is a $5k price difference between XLE and Woodland Edition.

Technically, what I wrote, the lower end trims have 17", since LE and XLE are lower end trims, with a plural
View attachment 142961
No worries; I’m aware of the price difference. My vehicle is ordered, has a VIN and a price with the options we got. (FWIW the Woodland is still cheaper than the XLE with those same options added).For 2021, there was just the XLE, which is what the Woodland is based upon, so when I was originally looking at the vehicle and its specs, I was looking at the XLE. It wasn’t until the dealer sent me the build sheet for my vehicle that I saw the difference in wheels between XLE and Woodland. ogsmile It got confusing as the months went on!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like your tires are 235/60R18 ?
Have they given you the exact tire spec? The load rating of the sock tires.

To go higher profile you have to go skinnier, or else the diameter changes. Or you go down to 17inch wheels with higher profile tires.
A 235/65R17 is basically the same diameter. (It does get more complicated because rim width affects diameter also. Plus the exact model tire. Manufacturers specify the dimensions of each tire based on a stated rim width.

An all terrain tire like the Falken Peak A/T Trail weighs 6-7 pounds more than say the Michelin CrossClimate2 or Nokian WRG4 Suv. The heavier tire may actually be what you want for crappy roads and dirt or gravel road travel. Plus all year use. You’ll lose some mileage and that car like feel.

I would weight heavily what people with the same vehicle and similar driving intentions have to say. Like @jmeb

Going to a completely larger tire opens up a can of worms that may or may not be palatable. At the least it throws off the speedo. At worst it ruins things like wheel bearings, cv joints, and lots of other stuff.

AE5C6638-6A0E-4FA0-835F-4EFBA9AF10C0.jpeg

Toyota done? Lifted and modified Sienna at the Sema show.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like your tires are 235/60R18 ?
Have they given you the exact tire spec? The load rating of the sock tires.

To go higher profile you have to go skinnier, or else the diameter changes. Or you go down to 17inch wheels with higher profile tires.
A 235/65R17 is basically the same diameter. (It does get more complicated because rim width affects diameter also. Plus the exact model tire. Manufacturers specify the dimensions of each tire based on a stated rim width.

An all terrain tire like the Falken Peak A/T Trail weighs 6-7 pounds more than say the Michelin CrossClimate2 or Nokian WRG4 Suv. The heavier tire may actually be what you want for crappy roads and dirt or gravel road travel. Plus all year use. You’ll lose some mileage and that car like feel.

I would weight heavily what people with the same vehicle and similar driving intentions have to say. Like @jmeb

Going to a completely larger tire opens up a can of worms that may or may not be palatable. At the least it throughs off the speedo. At worst it ruins things like wheel bearings, cv joints, and lots of other stuff.

View attachment 142972
Toyota done? Lifted and modified Sienna at the Sema show.
Good info, thanks!
Yep, tires are 235/60R18. I got the aspect ratio wrong when I answered @jmeb ‘s post.
I put in a call to the sales guy at the dealership to ask about the tires. I only have the tire dimensions on the build sheet.

Changing tire sizes gets wildly confusing for me unless I’m buying new rims as well. Which I’m not this time.

I have time to consider what tires to get, but I now know I want all weathers rated for snow. Like those Falkens or some Nokians. Thought about that more when I remembered my Impreza had Nokians on it and they were great in snow. I think you were in that car in Stowe many years ago driving in the snow. That was their first rodeo in a snowstorm and a very confidence inspiring drive.

EDIT: That lifted Sienna is hysterical. Was built on a Tacoma truck chassis. I saw some other pics of it from different angles and it looks crazy, but badass.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have a slightly (1") upsized tire on mine, and a 3.5" lift. I have 25k mi on both with any big downsides. Reduced mpg, slightly higher center of gravity, but still drives like a Sienna. And I don't worry about crappy roads I regularly drive. The most common failure point is CV axles when lifting a vehicle with high mileage that has broken in to the existing angle. (And then people replace with aftermarket CV axles and they break because they have a non-gimbled bearing compared to the OEMs gimbled bearing.)

A more sensible setup is perhaps the Traxda leveling kit that goes up 2" in the front and 1" in the rear. And then spend ~$3k to buy the Mountain Pop Top Fold-out bed and kitchen. https://www.mountainpoptop.com/fold-out-bed . And you're good to camp and easily convert between passenger van and camper.

For all-weather, snow-rated tires Falken Wildpeak Trail is a popular option.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if I can get the factory tires switched. Didn’t know this was a thing.
don't really know, only ancillary from some years back when a friend (don't even recall who) noted they had tires swapped by the dealership and the price differential while not "cheap" was not bad either.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a slightly (1") upsized tire on mine, and a 3.5" lift. I have 25k mi on both with any big downsides. Reduced mpg, slightly higher center of gravity, but still drives like a Sienna. And I don't worry about crappy roads I regularly drive. The most common failure point is CV axles when lifting a vehicle with high mileage that has broken in to the existing angle. (And then people replace with aftermarket CV axles and they break because they have a non-gimbled bearing compared to the OEMs gimbled bearing.)

A more sensible setup is perhaps the Traxda leveling kit that goes up 2" in the front and 1" in the rear. And then spend ~$3k to buy the Mountain Pop Top Fold-out bed and kitchen. https://www.mountainpoptop.com/fold-out-bed . And you're good to camp and easily convert between passenger van and camper.

For all-weather, snow-rated tires Falken Wildpeak Trail is a popular option.
That mountain pop top company is really cool. Thanks for sharing! Definitely a future possibility. ogsmile

No need for a lift kit. What we’ll have with the stock suits are needs for now. Unless in several years we decide to be bold. But the heavier duty tires, yes.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
That mountain pop top company is really cool. Thanks for sharing! Definitely a future possibility. ogsmile

No affiliation, but I he's in my town and I have seen the work. It's a very high quality piece for the price. And he modifies it slightly for each generation to ensure good fit.

kdziebarth

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone can speak to what kind of mileage they are getting in a hybrid Sienna, Highlander, or RAV4 with snow tires driving in cold conditions? Looking to get a new Sienna, though have seen a few threads were people are saying they are getting mid 20s MPG in cold conditions with snow tires and other threads where folks seem to be doing around 30.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone can speak to what kind of mileage they are getting in a hybrid Sienna, Highlander, or RAV4 with snow tires driving in cold conditions? Looking to get a new Sienna, though have seen a few threads were people are saying they are getting mid 20s MPG in cold conditions with snow tires and other threads where folks seem to be doing around 30.

I can't be much help but I got my Highlander hybrid in February and have averaged 32mph since then. No snows, but I did a road trip Colorado - Oregon - Colorado and have had a box on top since before that trip that started in May.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a RAV4 hybrid last December. Doing the math to convert to imperial units, I get about 33MPG in summer (mostly just commuting 10km to work) and 29-31MPG in winter with snow tires (lots more highway driving to & from the ski hill) and Alberta temperatures. I also have a box on during the winter whenever I’m going skiing and still get very good mileage.

kdziebarth

Skier
I got a RAV4 hybrid last December. Doing the math to convert to imperial units, I get about 33MPG in summer (mostly just commuting 10km to work) and 29-31MPG in winter with snow tires (lots more highway driving to & from the ski hill) and Alberta temperatures. I also have a box on during the winter whenever I’m going skiing and still get very good mileage.
Hmm, that’s a little disappointing isn’t it? EPA estimates for the RAV4 are 39-41mpg, right? Though it’s good to see you aren’t seeing a massive reduction in fuel economy with snow tires and a box+ cold temps in winter! Thanks for posting your info!

kdziebarth

Skier
I can't be much help but I got my Highlander hybrid in February and have averaged 32mph since then. No snows, but I did a road trip Colorado - Oregon - Colorado and have had a box on top since before that trip that started in May.
Did you notice it was a lot less when it was colder in Feb-March? I guess it was still breaking in then too, but curious.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, that’s a little disappointing isn’t it? EPA estimates for the RAV4 are 39-41mpg, right? Though it’s good to see you aren’t seeing a massive reduction in fuel economy with snow tires and a box+ cold temps in winter! Thanks for posting your info!
I just texted my brother, who has a RAV4 hybrid and lives in northernmost CT. He drives it to ski areas and said he normally averages close to 40mpg. He’s an engineer who likes to keep track of gas mileage so I trust his numbers.

kdziebarth

Skier
I just texted my brother, who has a RAV4 hybrid and lives in northernmost CT. He drives it to ski areas and said he normally averages close to 40mpg. He’s an engineer who likes to keep track of gas mileage so I trust his numbers.
Does he have snow tires on it or regular?

Sponsor

Staff online