• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Renoun Citadel 106

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Citadel 106 is the ski that Cyrus has wanted to build since the moment he decided he wanted to build skis. I will stop the accolades before I mutter the words that the Citadel is the compilation of a lifelong endeavor or the pinnacle of Cyrus's work, because no one in his mid-20s has completed a lifelong endeavor. The Citadel is Cyrus's technological tour de force, it has the basis of an aspen core, Titanal in key structural areas on the ski, carbon integrated, and twice the HDT of any of Renoun's other models. This sounds cool and all, but what does it all mean -- or do?

Light and damp is one of the toughest balances to achieve in ski design, but with Renoun's HDT it is much more achievable. The Citadel has everything you would expect from a ski with its price tag: it feels light but doesn't ski light, it is stable yet nimble. In mixed conditions where most other carbon-based skis get jostled around, the HDT keeps the Citadel calm on the snow and completely connected without the nervousness that carbon can have or neutered like an overly damp slug. Here is the announcement and long-term discussion of the Citadel.

Insider tip: Play with mount point; it is definitely back from where the mark suggests.​
Tricia: Renoun's award-winning VibeStop (HDT™) is the secret sauce for this powder powerhouse. I was waiting for my size after the rave reviews from others on Pugski test team last season. I skied the Citadel in some interesting Sierra powder, which most of you know can be slightly dense. The Citadel kept me floating above the wet snow and sliced through the tracked-out bits of the mountain as promised, leaving me dreaming of more powder days to get back out there on this Pugski Tester's Choice ski.

Insider tip: Looking for more of a daily driver? Check out the Renoun Endurance 98 or Earhart 88.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those with deep pockets. These are not cheap but they are well worth it. Whoever wants a lightweight but powerful powder ski.
Who is it not for?
Lesser skiers could get taken for a ride; you need to bring your A-game.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
169, 178, 185, 191
Dimensions
136-106-125
Radius
19m@185cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm by no means an expert skier, heck maybe not even a solid intermediate, but skiing the Citadel for the first time last night, was easy. Granted at a 265 vertical, everything can seem easy. Temps were close to 0F and the groomers were solid. :)

I was fortunate to have this ski added to my quiver last year but with low snow, I haven't got on it until now. To be honest, it is really more for my son, who can pound any terrain. I figured what a great time to test than cold and groomers.

In my meager age and lack of really good fitness, it is becoming more fun for me to have lighter skis. My knees appreciate it. Turning 106 skis on a higher edge can take a toll on the old knees. The Citadel did not disappoint. I could carve on these all night or day and no knee complaints. I'm heavily leaning to a two ski quiver of the Citadel and Endurance 98. I'll probably have to arm wrestle the son for them, so I'm screwed on winning.:)

With LES active in the U.P. I might be able to try these in powder.

Sponsor