• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Rossignol Black Ops Sender Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: (snippet from full preview/review HERE) As soon as I got the Sender Ti on snow, I knew I had gone two for two (ie, the length and the mount). To reiterate, the Sender Ti is so not the Soul 7. Where the Soul was light and pinged on the snow, feeling and sounding almost synthetic, the Sender Ti is confidence-inspiring. The conditions for testing were a bit unusual for Squaw. It rained slightly the previous night but never really froze, nor did it get too heavy or even manky. The glossy spots were firm but breakable, and the places people had skied were almost like corn but with more resistance than spring corn. Throw in some flat light in sections, and a ski whose main trait is stability was indeed a solid weapon of choice.

We were only out for couple of hours or so and started on the undulating bumps on the Saddle where the 180 Sender Ti was actually playful. Then we were off to Siberia chair and a couple of runs down the face along with traverses over to East Wall and down. I was duly impressed with the way the Sender Ti handled the mixed conditions, and the 180 never felt short.

The published turning radius of the 187 is 21 m, which means the 180 is probably just under that, around 20 m, and it felt all of that. This longer turn radius was noticeable on the flats, and the ski wasn’t quite as quick across the hill as some others. But that's fine, because those skis aren’t as good off piste as this one. Rossignol committed to making an off-piste charger, and by golly it succeeded.

Insider tip 1: Don’t hesitate to mount -2 (on the 180); it is money.​
Insider tip 2: I have seen few new ski campaigns receive so much immediate disdain. Come on people, get over yourselves. You complained that the outgoing collections weren’t core enough or that they opened up your stashes to weekend warriors. Now Rossi builds the ski you asked for, and you whine that the campaign is trying to be too cool. You just can’t make some people happy. Lighten up, Francis. Signed, Boomer.​

Awards
Who is it for?
If you can’t decide between playful and power in this segment, this is your ski.
Who is it not for?
Those who are happy with their Soul 7s should look elsewhere. To quote Albert Potato, “This is not Mel Torme” (obscure movie reference).
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
180, 187, 194
Dimensions
138-106-128
Radius
21m@187cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
F4E73A50-5A4E-4856-8FDF-697B145D1C22.jpeg Long term update: I was finally able to get out on some wider skis in applicable conditions -- and damn it, it felt good. The all-new Rossignol Sender Ti was a welcome addition to the test fleet last season. After selfishly mounting it with some shiny Look Pivot 15 Golds, I made it my personal weapon of choice in our demo fleet.

Mt Rose received a foot-plus of Sierra cement the night prior; the fresh coat of spackle was sorely needed. I will let @Tricia convey her comments on the women's version, the Rallybird Ti, which she also skied the same day, but the Sender Ti performed exactly as I had hoped. This was one of those days where the snow and ski matched with perfect synergy that of the other 40 or so skis I have access to in our test fleet, there was no other ski I would have rather been on.

In these heavy-ish conditions, the Sender Ti was the perfect choice to go from the fresh to cutup to the groomed main arteries. While I would never profess that a One Oh Something is the ideal daily driver, the Sender Ti was really ... really ... good today.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long-Term Update: It was planned to ski with Dan Egan and Scot Schmidt all day at Big Sky, a day that would include skiing the Big Coulior. @Tricia and I felt there would not be a better ski for chasing around two Hall of Fame skiers and skiing some of the best lift-accessed steep terrain than the Rossignol Black Ops Sender Ti and the women's Rallybird Ti.

43B002C3-530A-429A-82F5-B1333D8CFCDE_1_201_a.jpeg

Unfortunately, the day did not go as planned. We didn't get the snow the night before that we expected and we never made it up to "The Big" -- and that meant we were on skis not really designed for the day. "No problemo" says the Sender Ti, "We got this." And sure enough, even on the wind-scoured groomers and the blown-in bumps in Colter's Hell, the Sender Ti was all that and a bag of chips. I doubt I would ever use a ski of this width as a one-ski quiver, but I can see the allure of this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Philpug - you have skied both - Sender Ti and M-Pro 99. I loved the M-Pro 99 until tips started to get pushed around a bit in skied out, chopped up crud. Not a deal breaker, since they are easy to ski around the piles - but different enough from what I’m used to w/ my SR95’s. How are the Sender Ti’s?

^ the length thing was what pushed me to the M-pro.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug - you have skied both - Sender Ti and M-Pro 99. I loved the M-Pro 99 until tips started to get pushed around a bit in skied out, chopped up crud. Not a deal breaker, since they are easy to ski around the piles - but different enough from what I’m used to w/ my SR95’s. How are the Sender Ti’s?

^ the length thing was what pushed me to the M-pro.
I can see that. The Rossi does have a broader and flatter tip and I do find it gets defelcted less.

Sponsor